Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - Hotels/Guest Houses/lifts info appreciated

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finally decided on location, got the tourist board brochure, lots of hotels and guest houses to choose from so trying to narrow the choice down. We're going this DIY from Salzburg airport, but still want the luxury of half board when we get there!

I can see from the map that entry to the green circuit seems to start near the Adelweissbahn and Plattenkarbahn lifts (which are a little to the right of the main town area) is this within easy walking distance if we stayed right in the town centre or should be aim for nearer these lifts? Should we avoid the main street if we want a good nights sleep?

Any comments, suggestions, info about the place or transfers, very welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sharon1953,

Loads of lovely places to stay, loads of snow to ski on snowHead snowHead snowHead Try to stay centrally near to the Gamsleiten or Edelweiss lifts so that you can almost (not quite) ski in and out of your accommodation. You'll also be well placed for some of the livlier apres ski.
If your doing DIY you could hire a car - it's about an hour's drive on very good roads. Alternatively enquire through the hotel you choose or a local taxi company about a mini-bus transfer for about €140.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hywel, thanks that's what I thought. We do know a taxi firm we used last time, cost £170 return for 7 people to Hinterglemm, and they have told me it will be the same, so cheap if there are 8 of us but expensive if just 2 of us, so will need to shop about.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have stayed in the hotel edelweiss a couple of times, really nice, not sure on costs (as Atomic skis were paying) and plces to go in the evenings ...well it has to be the Lurzer Alm

have a great trip when it comes round
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, thanks, seems such a long way away Sad but the seaching brings it nearer!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rather timely post - as I'm looking at obertauern next year...
looks like the only place in Austria that does snow kiting and I definitely want to have a go at that!!!
will keep an eye on recommendations... like you - after a quality half board hotel, but don't really want to be in the middle of a noisy area and convenient for lifts... don't want much do I!!! wink wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountain mad, not too sure what that is, but in Hinterglemm they were taking people up in chair lifts and paragliding down with skis still on (intructor and one passenger) two companies were doing it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in hotel Stinner would recomend it, had to cross road in front of hotel before putting on skis and could get back there at end of day booked again for next Feb
Some of the hotels have an organised transfer that can be booked from the airport not sure of cost but cheeper than taxi
I would not worry about staying on main street there is not to much noise at night
Lots of easy access to runs from most hotels
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been to in Obertauern a four, over the last 15rs. In fact its about time I went back.
Last visit we stayed at the Schutz http://www.hotel-schuetz.at. Its in a pretty good position kind of at one end of the village with an comfortable walk along the main street if you want some action in the evening. You can ski more or less in and out (just cross the road). The hotel rooms are very comfortable and large, food and wine were very good, and the wine cellar is right next to the resturant.
I seem to remember that they were building the Schutz when I first went to Obertauern back in 1992. So its a prety new hotel, all facilities a modern and well maintained.

The Skiing isn't the most challenging, but can is full, and its not been crowded on any of my visits. You can easily make your day interesting, off piste is available snow permitting,Make sure you ski Gamelstien II (steepest piste in Austria apparently), this lift and slope tend to open when the weather is good only the , not for the faint hearted.

You can get a minibus/taxi adhoc at salzberg airport, the desk is in the arrivals area next to the car hire and travel co desks. Two of us used this service last feb, from memroy it cost 150 euro for a taxi from salzburg to Hinterglemm (not bad for a turn up on a saturday mornig), I would expect Obertauer to be much different. Still proberly best to book in advance if you can.

Good Luck, Might see you there..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bob, Thanks, yes that hotel looks nice. The Tourist office website is very good and in English, makes it so much easier to email the hotels. Some are already saying they are booked for 10/2/07 ! As it's so high though, I think we will go for 25/2 as it will have warmed up a bit, and perhaps prices will be lower! When are you thinking of going if you do?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm looking at Obertauern or Ischgl for Christmas. Ischgl is seriously expensive, unless you go with a tour operator and even then it's a lot more than Hinterglemm where we've been for the last two years.

Anyway, I was looking through Obertauern's website to find the piste map when I clicked on a web cam. I hate spiders Laughing

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RachelQ, oh that made me laugh on this grey day!! It's sums it up really, 'gone away for the summer', 'no snow', 'just waiting around for things to start happening'. Yes Hinterglemm was really quite cheap. We are trying to go later in the season as I hear Obertauern can be really cold early on. Prices seem to peak 17/2 then drop again on 24th, there must be a European school holiday then, and I think some UK schools are off that week too. So I guess we will chomping at the bit till late Feb.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy