Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire, Lessons & Passes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A quick question to the more experienced out there!! Very Happy Heading to Madonna Di Campiglio in a few weeks time, with my 17 year old daughter, travelling with Crystal ski. Returning to skiing after a 20 yr gap having skied 3 times back then. I have the option of purchasing ski passes, ski rental and lessons directly with Crystal with regional lift pass for 356 euro, 6 mornings lessons 250, and ski rental of 120 skis (one level up from their basic package) boots approx, 40 and helmets 22 euro. I'm wondering what peoples experience is with booking directly through Crystal? should i look to shop around or do these prices sound reasonable. Any advice greatly appreciated. thank-you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lift passes, Crystal typically sell them at the same price you’ll get from the lift pass office, so unless there’s an obvious deal online (fairly rare) you likely will pay that price. Also, the rep will typically deliver your lift pass to you rather than you having to go and sort it out. Lessons, rather than price I’d be looking at who the provider of lessons is first, that’s very important, check their reviews and go from there, see what other companies provide instruction and what their reviews are. Ski rental, that is always worth shopping around online for deals, just try and make sure the shop you hire from is relatively close to your accommodation. You’re probably more likely to find a good online deal for ski hire than the others, but it’s worth looking for all anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also, just a personal thing, I wouldn’t want to rent a helmet. They’re available to buy in many places fairly cheaply in the UK or online, and you can be assured of what it’s been through (there’s some schools of thought that a helmet should be replaced after any major impact). And I don’t much fancy wearing something on my head that many others have had their sweaty noggins inside beforehand.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with Dav.

Can you can find out:

- Which shop Crystal use and how their categories fit with the shop's categories
- Which ski school they use

I can't speak for Madonna di Campiglio - but the one year I hired (due to Crystal Pass/Hire offer), they used a good shop, which gave decent gear. They also used a good ski school.

Usually Crystal charges the same as L/Pass office - but check one against the other. I've seen years where the exchange rate they used made it more expensive. This year in Tignes - paying in Euros from Ireland - Crystal were cheaper for the L/Pass when I booked, as the area hadn't decided on the rate and Crystal used a rate that they thought was near enough (but was cheaper).

Once you know who they use, ask on here for feedback.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of all the elements of a ski holiday, the one worth spending extra money on, in my view, is lessons. I have no experience of lessons in Madonna (or anywhere else in Italy) but if, for example, some ski schools guarantee smaller groups, that would be worth considering.

But unless you can find a good reason not to go with the Crystal suggestion they'll have thought about ease of access (one hopes....) and it might be sociable to learn with other people from your accommodation/transfer. Group ski school lessons can be a good social experience, when they go right (or even when things go wrong!).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Of all the elements of a ski holiday, the one worth spending extra money on, in my view, is lessons. I have no experience of lessons in Madonna (or anywhere else in Italy) but if, for example, some ski schools guarantee smaller groups, that would be worth considering.

But unless you can find a good reason not to go with the Crystal suggestion they'll have thought about ease of access (one hopes....) and it might be sociable to learn with other people from your accommodation/transfer. Group ski school lessons can be a good social experience, when they go right (or even when things go wrong!).

I’d agree with this. For simplicity and the backup of having a resort rep who could sort things out if anything goes sideways. It’ll take all the pressure off for you (returning to skiing) and your daughter (newbie).

Have fun, MdC is a great resort and a nice place to learn/relearn. It has a good vibe and is incredibly picturesque.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advice.
I’ll find out what ski school Crystal is with and check the reviews.
In relation to the helmet issue, how much would you have to pay to by one? Would one of the cheap ones in decathlon do the job ok? To be honest nobody wore helmets when I was skiing 20 years ago. I have bad hearing and wear two hearing aids so will struggle to hear instructor if there is anything covering my ears. Would I be mad to consider not wearing one? Don’t want to pay for lessons and not be able to hear what they are saying?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wildestflower wrote:
Thanks for the advice.
I’ll find out what ski school Crystal is with and check the reviews.
In relation to the helmet issue, how much would you have to pay to by one? Would one of the cheap ones in decathlon do the job ok? To be honest nobody wore helmets when I was skiing 20 years ago. I have bad hearing and wear two hearing aids so will struggle to hear instructor if there is anything covering my ears. Would I be mad to consider not wearing one? Don’t want to pay for lessons and not be able to hear what they are saying?

Even cheap helmets have to meet a standard - so are fine.

Look for ones with removable cloth ear pieces. They don't block much sound - but if they do, can be removed.

Make sure it fits and works with your goggles.

I would advise getting one. I skied for may years without one - but when they became light, ventilated and comfortable, bought one and now wouldn't be without it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy