Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis breaking

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve had a pair of Stockli Stormriders for a couple of years - great skis. Bit of a fall over Xmas in some light powder (yes there was some!) and the sidewall has cracked. Anybody got examples of skis breaking. Stockli saying not their problem….. bit surprised as they are seen as premium skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Every structure will have it's limits, failure can occur dependent on what ultimately has happened to them. If you crashed any car of whatever quality it'll still be damaged.

Did Stokli give reason ? Certainly its unfortunate to damage something but sometimes we have to acknowledge it can happen.

I bent one of my ski a few years ago in a crash that was just my cockup, I really liked them too, but that crash did take them out. Didn't initially realise but riding the chair up noticed that the tip rise didn't match from one to other, one had become significantly "rockered" Very Happy so that was the end of them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I see this a few times a season. Any make/model of ski will break if loaded too much as to exceed its elastic limit etc. It usually happens when one end of the ski gets jammed in the ground (or under a root/rock etc) whilst the rest of the ski/skier continues to move/rotate around it. It only takes a split second so the skier often won't even feel the restance.

If there's no core damage there's a good chance of repairing it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with @spyderjon, about peak loading and not feeling it.

Crashing mine in which they both came off my boots as they should, no personal injuries or after effect either.

As they were potentially scrap I tried putting the bent one into a railing (it's bent upward going out from front of one boot binding) then levering it with as much as I could push it, it bent far in elasticity, no failure points at all, but I couldn't get it to yeald even with eye watering level of bend on it.

It's illustrative of just how much force is needed to affect that structure and materials. Demonstrates just how far they've been pushed in the accident to get them past yeald point.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi folks, sad to confirm that this does not seem to be a ‘sh*t happens‘ thing. I just went through two pairs of Stormrider 95s where the sidewalls cracked and ski was trashed. The last one lasted all of *6* ski days!

Actually, this was my 3rd pair of SR95s. I do love how it skis before it falls apart. First one went flat after 2 seasons. Dealer replaced (at a discount) with a new one.

That one lasted a season and change before sidewalls cracked in multiple places on both skis. I got some (frankly) gaslighting about waxing it at unspecified low temps, but they replaced it ultimately at a discount.

The latest one lasted two days in the east, and 3.5 days at big sky (two rides up the Tram, with an, admittedly ripping, 11 yo). As I was packing, noticed sidewalls on both skis cracked under binding mounting bolts. NE distributor says impact damage, no warranty.

Big Sky did have some rocks mixed in with snow we both went over. My 11yo’s Sego Big Horns are fine, sr95s are trash.

Here is one possibility, Stockli site says that they are using a different sidewall for this ski:

“POLYWALL - This sidewall is slightly softer and therefore more elastic than the phenolic sidewall. It exhibits damping properties and thus boasts significantly higher impact resistance“, from https://www.stoeckli.ch/usen/ski/ski/allmountain/stormrider-95

I would very much beg to differ on durability and impact resistance.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 25-02-24 12:05; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
To add on to this, we ski 60+ days/season and our kids race. We use a dozen pairs of skis during the season for the four of us. In Stockli, I also ski a WRT ST, our son races on Stockli SL and GS, and my wife skis a sr85 from a few years back. We also use head/line/sego/crows/rosi skis of various specialities and I tune them all the same general way. Recent SR95s are the only ones that fall apart, fwiw.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy