Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt half board tipping

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're in Zermatt and having a great time in spite of the lack of fresh snow (it will start up just as we leave). Thank you to all who suggested a location near the Sunnegga lift. This is a great location with easy access. We're taking half board and we're wondering if we're supposed to tip the wait staff. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would leave a tip with the head waiter if I was enjoying half board. I presume you are l having a tip for the room cleaner as well?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally, I treat HB as if I'm eating in a restaurant.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Exactly @red 27
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Personally, I treat HB as if I'm eating in a restaurant
So no tips then @red 27? wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switzerland is not a tipping country, however the chalet staff will probably appreciate some CoL help.
Not sure of your setup, but I would leave tip in room for chalet staff & tip at table for serving people. Certainly would not do above at tip the head honchu. Know where your tip is going!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, Switzerland is not a big tipping country but being in a resort hotel with half board feels more like a cruise than being in CH-staff are from all over the world. Thanks for the replies. Off to our last day skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Remember minimum wage in Switzerland is circa £40k I believe. Varies a little canton by canton. Restaurants have a tip included in the price as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
twoodwar wrote:
Remember minimum wage in Switzerland is circa £40k I believe. Varies a little canton by canton. Restaurants have a tip included in the price as well.

No wonder that Schnitzel with Chips and Coke I had when I was last in Zermatt was £28! Shocked

That was self-service, so I gave myself the tip!! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OP we want to know .... We Must know!

Did you leave the hotel waiting staff something? Everything? Nothing?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
OP we want to know .... We Must know!Did you leave the hotel waiting staff something? Everything? Nothing?
Turned out that the OP was on less than the Swiss minimum wage of £40k per year...So the waiters/waitresses and cleaning staff tipped him/her instead wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
twoodwar wrote:

Only a couple of cantons have implemented a minimum wage after a referendum rejected the idea nationally a few years back. I think Geneva was the first, with their hourly rate now set at chf24. So if this were a full time position, 40 hour week, that would equate to around chf50k pa. Quite a big IF though, for hotel and restaurant workers, and still below the national average earnings. Of course, they may also get board and lodging provided in a ski resort.

As for tipping, no, there is no tip included in a restaurant price. It's entirely optional, and always appreciated if/when you do, even if it's just rounding up to the next even amount. There's not normally any way to add a tip to a card payment, for instance, so if you want to leave a tip but only have a couple of francs change in your pocket it's still perfectly acceptable to leave it if you feel so inclined. Or not, if you don't want to or don't have any cash at all.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are people unable to heat their homes in the UK and a lot worse elsewhere. I wouldn't worry about tipping staff in Switzerland, they are *probably* ok
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Some inaccuracies to address

THERE IS NO NATIONAL MINIMUM WAGE.
Some cantons have introduced it- GVA is 23chf per hour and is the highest in CH. But most, including Wallis, where Zermatt is, do not.

Many people working in hospitality are not from Switzerland, they can be fired on the spot- sod all protection, and they have to negotiate their salary and will likely get paid less than a swiss local.

None of this is a pity party, we all know CH is a good place to live but these are not bankers in Zurich, these are hard working people in a shitty industry so if they have provided a good service - tip them.

Rounding up rather than a % is more normal in Switzerland. Cash always the first choice.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Nadenoodlee, and the service charge has been included in all Swiss menu prices since 1971?
Not a major argument, but interested in the facts. All guide books I references on the internet make this point. I would also dispute that hospitality is a shitty industry. It has like all businesses good and bad practitioners. Suggest the Swiss should alter their employment law, if so little protection is given to staff.
snow report
@twoodwar, service charge isn't a tip and can be used/ shared at the business’ discretion. Swiss people tip.

Happy to share the requisite address if you’d like to suggest changes to their labour laws. As the often can vote due to their immigration status, its a little challenging for many in the industry to challenge it.
ski holidays
@Nadenoodlee, not my call re labour laws, I’m not Swiss. Re service charge, same as UK then. I do think service charge is a tip though. If businesses are not giving this to staff, I will ask waiting staff as I do in the UK
I don’t pay the service charge if staff say it’s not given to them, as it’s not a legal requirement in the UK and they have to remove it from the bill. I then tip directly, if they have given good service.
ski holidays
I tip them at breakfast too (if they've made some sort of effort) but then perhaps I'm a soft touch Puzzled

Surprised no one has posted the Reservoir Dogs opening scene yet
latest report
I'm going to Crans Montana in a few weeks ... I think I'll have to take Sandwiches ... or perhaps take a job Sad
ski holidays
@DrLawn, if you’re going to CM just look down the back of the chalet sofa for a few loose 1000chf notes
latest report
Lots of interesting responses. We just got back last night so catching up on everything at home. We've traveled to CH many times though this was our first time skiing. We're familiar with the leaving some CHF since I can't remember ever seeing a tip/gratuity line on a credit card payment; usually tap and pay. This time, however, every night after dinner we were supposed to sign a receipt showing what we had, especially any alcohol, so there would be no question at check out time. Each night the form also included a tip/gratuity line. We didn't fill that in. At check out time, the front desk assured us that any tip we left would be shared with all the support staff. We assumed they were telling the truth so we left a tip for everyone. Our chatting with staff indicated that most were not from CH but from the less wealthy EU countries and from Latin America. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly and we wanted to let them know we appreciated their efforts.
Thanks to you all for your help in planning this trip. Now we have to be a little bit sad until we can start planning another ski trip. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, I never though of that ... even a single 5Chf coin would be nice Very Happy
Thanks for the tip!
snow report
@DPL, hopefully your tip made it to the right hands - the swiis are an honest bunch ini my limited expereince.

Personally I prefer cash on the table when it comes to tips, takes HMRC (or the local =) out the equation
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy