Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck airport fog bound today

Poster: A snowHead
Carnage in departures today, no flights in and only one out. Already full to bursting with more passengers arriving by the minute.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JimboS, it does have a reputation for that. Last time I flew to Innsbruck to go to Mayrhofen in 2020 , we started our descent then aborted and got diverted to Munich. Ended up an expensive taxi.!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@JimboS, hmm, the approach into Innsbruck is "interesting" with relatively small clearance over mountain tops before the final turn into the valley even in good weather. In spite of modern landing aids I can understand why pilots are reluctant to attempt landings in fog.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
With the amount of posts about airport weather I see on here, I’m thinking we should start an airport weather megathread!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JimboS, Could always turn back and book another week!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Airfield is open again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wish, its actually sunny here now but a band of fog at about 100m
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Brainfart92, the problem is there are no planes here to get us home, probably another 2 hours before the UK flights arrive.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimboS wrote:
I wish, its actually sunny here now but a band of fog at about 100m

BA684 from LHR has made it in. As has a TUI flight.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great fun.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember an 8 hour wait like that at Innsbruck, years ago, mainly because of fog in many of the airports in the UK to which we were bound. Miserable. The airport just isn't geared up for big numbers. They did their best but ran out of everything. Our gang was there early enough to bag a table which we could sit round playing cards.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It happens. Last season I was waiting to pick someone up from a LGW flight that spent an extra 3 hrs on the tarmac there because of the fog at Innsbruck. It was interesting to see on the trackers that all UK flights were held back, while all Dutch and German ones were diverted to Munich. Cloud regularly sits in the valley, but it seems to be at certain heights that it affects the airport. The time I just mentioned, the fog was thick on the ground – I could barely see past next door, but today it was higher than the lower villages so not really a traffic hazard. As we drove through earlier, I noticed that it disappeared by the end of the runway NehNeh

A tip though, for those not familiar with the area – if you know you are in for a long delay, the airport is only 10 min from the city, so you could get out for a bit. Drop your bags though, as they still usually close that at the normal time, but security is normally pretty quick, so stay land-side, get on the bus and have a wander round town for a couple of hours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Appreciate this is no comfort to anyone flying into Innsbruck, but given the choice If heading to the Dollies I can highly recommend Venice Marco Polo. It’s almost always snow free and is usually open in fog landing on instruments. It’s also a lovely uncrowded airport with very few skiers.
The drive up is a bit longer and you have to drive over Passo Compolongo to get to Corvara but I don’t think that is often a problem, given their poor natural snow record Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Our flights to Innsbruck from LHR was redirected to Munich because of bad weather (17th Jan ) with BA. We were told on the tarmac that we would be rerouting. Frantic texts to transfers and booking of train tickets! Ended up being a very long frantic day. Friends flew from Manchester with Easyjet at the same time - they tried to land and aborted last second!! The got redirected to Linz which was even longer bus ride back to Innsbruck then on to dolomites! Not flying to Innsbruck again! I didn't realise that this was a common problem. Does Salzburg or any other airports have the same issues?? Going to ski next year at Fiss again rather than Dolomites. Prefer the Austrian ski slopes/infrastructure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Salzburg is much less susceptible as its at the edge of the mountains and not in a valley.

Munich is ok for Fiss as well and will have better intercontinental connections, Venice is good for the Dolomites. Zurich can be used to access west Austria. All are much less fog prone.
ski holidays
Innsbruck can be an issue at times
Fine if things are all running well but not much space if things back up on a Saturday.
I've posted elsewhere that we have only not got out once and had an overnight in Innsbruck but it has been close a few times. rolling eyes
The airport is very handy for a chunk of the Austrian resorts though.
Salzburg airport is a bit bigger but still a scrum on Saturdays.
snow conditions
We were touch and go last Friday flying back to BRS from INNS. It cleared as we sat in the departure lounge. A bit of a nightmare if you're travelling independently. EJ put out an announcement to say 'flight cancelled' good luck, you're on your own and that's when the fun starts. My ex works in the airline industry. A call to her tends to get things sorted for us, but not without a ton of added expense and hours of travelling in the wrong direction. To be fair, it's happened to us 3 times in 20 years of using INNS 2/3 times a year.
snow report
I have landed and taken off from Innsbruck both day and nighttime. Of five flights I crashed the plane once, probably killing all the passengers. This was on a full commercial flight simulator, as you may have guessed Madeye-Smiley I’m not a commercial pilot. The instructor said that you only get two aborts at Innsbruck and then you’re diverted elsewhere, and that the airport is notorious for a very small approach window and fog. In my defence, the crash was the result of a (simulated) engine failure …….
ski holidays
Pilot Friend, also a trainer, says Innsbruck is the Daddy of tricky airports. Cat C, special training required, plus a number of supervised landings - "Aim for the Church and hang a right"
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, I had wondered. There's little room for error. Confused
snow report
Crap lounge as well. No problem being delayed with a decent lounge
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
"Aim for the Church"

Lmftfy
Well it is a Sunday
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Pilot Friend, also a trainer, says Innsbruck is the Daddy of tricky airports. Cat C, special training required, plus a number of supervised landings - "Aim for the Church and hang a right"

This video of Sion makes Innsbruck look a doddle in comparison Laughing

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0rYLQluOj-/?igsh=MTNjczA3dnZ3eGl3NA==
ski holidays
I flew into Sion airport on my way to Zermatt, I think from LCY. The approach was hilarious and fabulous. When we took off heading back home I recall that after about 20 mins we were still seeing skiers out of the windows on our level. I thought the pilot had got lost.
snow report
[quote=" EJ put out an announcement to say 'flight cancelled' good luck, you're on your own .[/quote]

EJ went well down my use list when they did that the night we were stuck. No help to find accommodation etc for their passenger's.

Jet 2 organised a hotel and sent us off to find a taxi
We were in the centre of town
Took a couple of e-mail to get the taxi and evening meal cost back but no big deal.
Earlier flights they had bused but the folk were more spread out due to the number of rooms needed.
At the time it was just after covid and getting in to Munich was not an option.
The only sting was as my car was at a uk airport the charge for the extra day was more than the rest of the week. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Funnily enough, this month is the 60th anniversay of this ski flight into Innsbruck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Eagle_International_Airlines_Flight_802/6
ski holidays
I clearly have a different sense of humour
snow conditions
@Garfield they will pay that extra parking charge, pursue them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just to stick another 'Foggy' airport into the conversation..

My flight out of Verona last week was delayed 4 hours because of Fog.. Sad

Aircraft with ALS were working normally ; sadly, my aircraft didn't have that bit of kit..
ski holidays
We flew into Verona last Sunday in thick fog. Literally didn't see the runway till the wheels were nearly touching the ground. Was told by stewardess that plane would likely land by auto pilot. No sure if that happened, but must have been one of the smoothest landings I've ever experienced. Was a bit nervous though!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy