Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Venice Marco Polo advice

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for a non skiing topic, but a group of 5 of us are returning from the Dolomites on Monday 30th Jan from Venice Airport and we need some advice.

The flight is at 17.10, which means we need to leave the resort mid morning (according to our transfer company) and won’t have time to ski that day. If we leave a bit earlier, say 08.00/09.00, we were hoping to have a few hours in Venice.

Is the journey from the airport to Venice itself straight forward? I see there are water busses/ taxis, which look nice, but more expensive. Bearing in mind, we have a plane to catch, would this be a reliable transport method, or should we get the minibus to drop us at Venice station and then a cab back round from there before the flight?

Also we will require left luggage facilities. Has anyone used the left luggage at the airport or the station? Is it easy to negotiate (1 of our group will have skis)?

Is this all a bit too much faff for 2/3 hours in St Mark’s Square?

Thank you in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cant help sorry, but isnt there a 10 euro tourism tax for day trippers now?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a while since I did it but the water busses are cheap and run to a timetable. The ideal way of getting around. The water taxis (motoscafi) on the other hand, are very expensive. No idea about left luggage, sorry, but a lot of people who do the Snowheads birthday bashes tag on a trip to Venice so those threads might be a good source of info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love Venice and I use every opportunity to get there for a few hours. You can definitely leave your carriage at the airport.
There are 5 of you and too little time.
In your particular situation it's worth taking a private boat back and forth (we've done it as a couple or up to 4 pax, check if 5 are OK). With public transfer (Ali Laguna etc.) you won't be able to relax and enjoy your couple of hours
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EdYarker, the vaporetti do run to a timetable BUT since the 'station' has been built at the airport, it can take a lot longer actually to get on one than in the past. The old free-for-all was a lot quicker than the queue! Also you need to be careful coming back since, particularly if you try to board at a stop too far along towards the airport, the boat can sometimes be full. It's some years since I used the left luggage facility at the airport, but my understanding is that it has become much more expensive than it was, so worth checking the prices.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We left our skis at the airport when there in December it’s called Trasbagagli, to find it exit terminal & turn left & its at the far end of the main terminal on the left.
Open from 6am to 8pm & cost €7 Per item for the first 6 hours.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker, Following with interest, I have an overnight stop in Venice in March, I’m planning on leaving main bag at airport and just taking a small overnight bag with me, ive seen the bag storage on the airport website, but couldn’t see prices for 24 hrs
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for your swift and helpful replies.
I’m getting the impression that with tourist tax, left luggage fees and water taxi prices it might be quite pricey. At the same time, we don’t often get the opportunity to spend a bit of time in Venice!
I will see what the others think- and what time we actually arrive at the airport. I am guessing that we can pick up a water taxi from a ‘rank’ rather than pre booking? Will need to check that can take 5.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EdYarker wrote:
At the same time, we don’t often get the opportunity to spend a bit of time in Venice!

This! If you are not likely to get there again and you can make it happen, do it and damn the cost. Its an amazing place, you really have to see it to believe such a place does exist. If you head to St Marks Square at least get into the basilica, the pala d’oro is not to be missed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is the info I received about baggage storage at airport & was correct in December 22.

open 06.00 a.m to 08.00 p.m

You don't need reservation

rates to store a bag
€ 7.00 the first 6 hours
€ 0.50 every extra hour
so 1st day € 16.00
every extra day € 12.00
located entry 1 groundfloor
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EdYarker, get a vaporetto rather than a water taxi...its like a bus on water
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Are there any options for left luggage for a flight arriving around 21.00?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We did a 3 day trip into Venice after skiing, five years ago. The water bus is basically a ferry so cheap but minimal exoticism. The taxi is expensive, probably €150+ now but feels majorly exotic and I think worth doing once. There’s nothing quite like speeding towards the city in your own chauffeur driven wooden speedboat. The boats themselves are part open, wood and leather and shiny brass decorations and big windows everywhere. Definitely feels luxurious. Sure, get a ferry back!

The public transport that is worth taking is a traghetti across the grand canal. A short gondola ride, was €2 each then. Actual Gondola is nearly as expensive as the taxi.

I was gutted about the left luggage, they charged my ski bag and boot bag as separate items, pirates! Don’t know about out of hours options for left luggage, sorry.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
From airport to Venice take the bus(the wheeled kind) 10€ last time we did it.30 mins from outside the airport. If you want your own private water taxi( read speedboat on the Laguna) 160€ last time we did it, we shared with an American couple and it was worth it unless you are used to fast speedboat rides!
Take a Vaporetto when dropped off by bus. A No.1 from outside the train station takes you down the grand canal.
Very worthwhile. We first did it coming back from Cortina for an evening, then went back for a full week. It is the most amazing place.speedboat back!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@EdYarker, get a vaporetto rather than a water taxi...its like a bus on water

Yes, the vaporetto is cheaper. But if time is of the essence you could take our own water taxi, maybe one of the ways anyway.
snow report
@ster, If you're made if money. I've only done a water taxi once....included in the Orient Express. Amazing

snow report
@holidayloverxx, you can’t take it with you wink. We didn’t but I wish we had ( did a gondola ride though, complete with singing and straw hat)
ski holidays
@ster, I've nowt left after that!
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, except you have a fab picture!
latest report
Thanks again for all the great tips and advice. Looks like left luggage will not be a major problem- although may get a bit pricey for the more heavily laden members of the group.
I like @twoodwar, suggestion as we should get to Venice relatively quickly and cheaply by regular bus. The Vaporetto down the Grand canal will be a bit of a sight see anyway and then once we’ve had our time in and around St Marks we can splash out on a private water taxi back to the airport, taking the stress out of waiting for a Vaporetto back to the airport. This is assuming we can pick one up from St Marks easily
snow report
And tell us please about the skiing options , please with 2.5 hours, Alleghe has always interested me, but open to other suggestions
snow conditions
@dublin2, there are loads of threads on the Dolomites, try this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5068902&sid=6a12e31255d60cc8b0885d4076c9aa1a#5068902

Or perhaps start you own seeing as your question has nothing to do with this topic ?
ski holidays
andybomb1 wrote:
Are there any options for left luggage for a flight arriving around 21.00?

Only at your hotel. Airport left luggage closes at 20:00 as far as I remember. One of the reasons I stay at the Annia Park near the airport and get a bus into venice
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, +1 for Annia Park hotel
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, duly noted, original hotel cancelled and booked into the Annia Park
ski holidays
Some thoughts;-

If you could leave your luggage at Marco Polo Airport (the web suggests you can) then;-

A water taxi is most affordable if you can share the cost across 4 or 6 of you. There is a booking station to the left as you walk out of departures. There is a moving walkway to the taxi departures dock which is quite quick. Make sure that you ask to be taken down the Grand Canal and be dropped off at St Marco, which will maximise the time available to see the main sights. A Vaporetto will take quite a lot of time.

You could meander from Piazza St Marco across the city, following the signs for Per Rialto and then Per Piazza Roma then pick a conventional taxi from the Railway Station to the Airport. IMO this would be the most efficient use of your time.

Personally I would get a water taxi to the Island of Burano skip Venice and have lunch at Al Gatto Nero, leaving Venice for when I could give it three or four days, but that would be incredibly indulgent!
latest report
I'd be a bit careful in Venice. Water buses / taxis can be delayed and full and it can be very difficult to get one. I.e. if you have flight to catch I'd be aiming to leave Venice in PLENTY of time for airport, we gave ourselves plenty of time before but it was white knuckle stress and we only barely made our flight, and hearing stories of others who missed flights.
latest report
DavidYacht wrote:
You could meander from Piazza St Marco across the city, following the signs for Per Rialto and then Per Piazza Roma then pick a conventional taxi from the Railway Station to the Airport. IMO this would be the most efficient use of your time.

ATVO run buses from Piazzale Roma bus station (very near to the railway station in Venice) every half hour costs €10 one way and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to Venice Marco Polo airport.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
DavidYacht wrote:

ATVO run buses from Piazzale Roma bus station (very near to the railway station in Venice) every half hour costs €10 one way and takes about 15 to 20 minutes to Venice Marco Polo airport.

That sounds like the most efficient and cost-effective way of getting back to the airport for a solo traveller.

Taxis are a fixed fare of €40 one way apparently, so if you can fill one, that would be a good option. Maybe you could pick out a 7 seater to fit 5 of you plus the driver in.

https://www.radiotaxivenezia.com/en/fares.php

I've always had a rental car which I've parked near Piazzale Roma for €2/hr, then driven back to airport for the evening flight.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the continued advice and info.
It looks like our best bet is to do something similar to what @DavidYacht, suggests- assuming the left luggage accepts skis.

If we return with the ATVO as @Alastair Pink, recommends then we have a reliable and cheap return up our sleeve, or even a road taxi if we can pick a large enough one up from near the train station (is there a rank there?).

Thanks also @peanuthead, for your words of caution. It easy to get carried away with these types of plans. I’m hoping that the airport won’t be especially busy as it’s a Monday and it looks like the road journey between Venice and the airport is fairly straight forward and reliable?
snow conditions
Pricey? Consider the difference between “acceptable” and “sounds pricey”.

Divide that difference between 5 of you.

Imagine that someone told you not to spend that 1/5 during the ski holiday.

You wouldn’t even notice it.
ski holidays
.....also check its not some sort of carnival on, I arrived many many years ago, the water bus stopped well short of St marks square, with a "last stop, everyone out its carnival" and had to lug two cases the rest of the journey through mega crowds. I don't think suitcases had wheels in those days. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy