Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Little Snowmageddon chaos on January 6th 2024

Poster: A snowHead
Today it’s Jan 5th and snowing heavily right down into the Tarentaise Valley - forecast to do so all day today and tomorrow. French schools go back on Monday so a huge exodus from the resorts will occur.
Only one result from heavy snowfall on a Saturday - Snowmaggeddon!
Break out the popcorn…
PS I’m driving family back to Chambery for a BA flight on Sunday …. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Correction: its NOT snowing its raining on the N90 at Aime Check the webcam at Aime here https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/alpes-du-nord,langen.html

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-01-24 10:59; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin,

I hope you have a trouble free journey because I'll be travelling up the Tarentaise Valley on Sunday. I've been told we're not allowed to eat on the coach - no popcorn for me. Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We done it already: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165466&start=1080#5223954

that why we have a Weather outlook thread.

It has potential to be a total mare. I have to drive to Lyon before Monday and am trying to persuade the missus that being stuck 6 hours on snow on a motorway is sub optimal.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd say it's worth a separate snow drama thread and keeping the weather thread for forecasts rather than nights spent in sports halls. One of the busiest transfer days of the year!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I'd say it's worth a separate snow drama thread and keeping the weather thread for forecasts rather than nights spent in sports halls. One of the busiest transfer days of the year!

Yes, sorry, just pointing out that the snow forecast thread is where we should head up these events.

Should be pandemonium

Can we change the title to Snowmageddon rather than snow chaos Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boredsurfin, we're leaving tomorrow morning from Serre Che, shouldn't be too bad until we get to Grenoble if we leave early enough, but the prospects of closed Cols is always a concern. Have to be at work Mon am, so no option to stay until the weather clears, although if we have to we do have no-one in the apartment until Sunday and will have to do the drive in one.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, That's a serious weather thread - some folk get arsey if you start chatting on serious threads Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing
Will change title - wasn't sure how to spell Snowmageddon Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 5-01-24 10:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ooh my favourite, nothing better than cruising past stranded range rovers, X5s and xc90s in the family wagon!

I remember witnessing a family walking up the last 500m into vallandry with their luggage because their brand new range rover had refused the remaining slope at the bend (likely due to its summer tyres)!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Thomasski, Amazed they admitted defeat, surely they should have kept trying until their Rangey blocked the road snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 5-01-24 10:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
@davidof, That's a serious weather thread - some folk get arsey if you start chatting on serious threads Toofy Grin snowHead Laughing

You are right but good to post any modifications to the predictions in that thread - snowline, amount of snow expected, if you have them. No doubt the French highways dept will be woefully unprepared, as usual.

You can all gloat tomorrow about my adventures in the snow !

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 5-01-24 10:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidof, nah I just look out of the window, none of the forecasts agree or are correct even the by the hour ones on the day!
im intrigued at the moment by the changing snow sometimes its big lumps and then its fine powder snow, we are at 1375m one side and 1350 the other, it can be different over that short difference - which I guess is why the forecasts are seldom correct.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 5-01-24 10:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boredsurfin wrote:
@Thomasski, Amazed they admitted defeat surely they should have kept trying until their Rangey blocked the road snowHead

Indeed! They had parked it on the outer bend and the guy that was locking it up as we drove by looked pretty flustered, so I think he'd been giving it a good go for a while.
There was an X5 that was causing a scene on the same bend, managed to squeeze past them so not sure whether they gave up, slid off the side, or came to the realisation that gunning it wasn't the right approach.

I'm shocked at how unprepared some people are - they're actually unwittingly putting lives in danger, not just their own. Especially considering a lot of mountain roads have no barriers...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think we will just sit it out here in Champagny. Where on the autoroutes temd to be the tricky points when the weather gets like this ?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boulevardier, You can check the webcams on the autoroutes and major roads here https://www.bison-fute.gouv.fr/alpes-du-nord,langen.html
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you ! Very useful .
snow conditions
@boulevardier, Theres also this https://savoie-route.fr
Understatement for tomorrow I think
Quote:
Travel conditions will be disrupted on the Savoie road network from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
ski holidays
Will be keeping an eye on two issues tomorrow

1. State of roads - often the driver is more of a problem than the car ! Have found M&S tyres enough on 4 x 4 and snow tyres on rear wheel drive merc
2. Will flights go from Chambery - think my bigger risk tomorrow
snow conditions
@alti - dude, Same two issues for me on Sunday!
ski holidays
So much depends on what other people get up to, however well equipped you are yourself. If I had to get out of the Tarentaise tomorrow I'd either get a few hours north tonight, or leave it till later tomorrow. Leaving at 0800 tomorrow likely to be very slow.
latest report
Coming up to work this morning to ADH the snow had just started and the roads were already pretty icy/snowy.

Has the potential for an interesting departure day!

Courage everyone.
ski holidays
Currently the airport forecasts are only valid until 1000CET tomorrow. But Chambery looks just about workable. I will update the Tignes thread with the usual Tarentaise travel forecast later. If I remember, I’ll cut and paste here.
snow report
Good luck to all caught up. My admittedly dated memory of similar conditions was that the French police were very good at directing cars over to an early lay-by and checking tyres and chains before allowing the drivers to carry on up the hill.
snow report
@achilles, Tomorrow, it will be the Parisians heading down! As last Sat was benign lots will have risked coming up with no chains. Some will try and beat the Police roadblock above the Ferme (normally 6am) and inevitably slide off into a barrier!!!
latest report
I know the legal side re winter equipment is still a bit unclear in FR. If I were to decide then anyone caught with summer tyres in mountains from Oct to May should be:

- forced to push their vehicle from a road to ditch and pay for recovery in summer;

- made walk down the side roads on their knees with all the luggage they want to take toward the first bus stop.

I think that will do it Twisted Evil
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
@davidof, nah I just look out of the window, none of the forecasts agree or are correct even the by the hour ones on the day!
im intrigued at the moment by the changing snow sometimes its big lumps and then its fine powder snow, we are at 1375m one side and 1350 the other, it can be different over that short difference - which I guess is why the forecasts are seldom correct.

Ahhhh we speak from the same hymn sheet Laughing

Here you would normally expect many to leave here today as skiing is quite miserable for all but hardy skiers, or at the end of play today, as many in this part of the world have come up from the likes of Marseilles / Aix and it's only a 3-4hr drive.

But as has been said, no matter how well equipped you are it only takes one, and there will be a lot of "ones" on the roads today / tomorrow.

Though to be fair many that drive to Serre from the South are well equipped as many have to drive to the car-parks by the lifts each day, as has been mentioned it's those from further afield.

Current rate is 7-8 per hour having just cleaned the terrace an hour or so ago

And if you like looking at snow falling click link below as the webcam is panning around the garden.

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
@Weathercam, Ohh yes, propa snow like snowHead
snow conditions
@mooney058,
Quote:

I know the legal side re winter equipment is still a bit unclear in FR

It doesn't seem that unclear to me!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@mooney058,
Quote:

I know the legal side re winter equipment is still a bit unclear in FR

It doesn't seem that unclear to me!

Indeed, I meant for some folks who hesitate, not the legal requirements as such.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyway chaotic between Chamonix and Les Houches, all down to lack of experience or lack of snow tyres.

It's a bit like the on street parking, needs more enforcement. And not just of locals.
latest report
@under a new name, iirc think the unclear part is that it said the new rules were not going to be enforced this winter.
snow report
Forecast doesn't look too bad to me in terms of quantity of snow, freezing level but who knows.

Also, won't most of the traffic be outbound, it's not going to be a busy influx is it?

Fond (sort of) memories of snowmageddon Dec 2014!
snow conditions
Current state of play at Chez Beaumont

snow conditions
Lauteret still open but looks miserable after the Chambon reservoir
ski holidays
What am I missing? Snow-forecast showing 6cm in Val D'isere?
snow report
meteo-alpes reporting LPN is far lower than expected...so issues may crop lower down in the white rather expected rain
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

Current rate is 7-8 per hour having just cleaned the terrace an hour or so ago

And if you like looking at snow falling click link below as the webcam is panning around the garden.

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Just see live action path clearing on that. You wont lose your feet in those boots Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays

About 110,000 vehicles are expected on the roads of Savoie this weekend.
In the direction of returns from stations, travel conditions will be disturbed or even difficult on the Savoie road network on Saturday, January 6 from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

A traffic peak is expected between 9:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.: the department is classified red.

To facilitate returns from stations, it is recommended to avoid time slots that are announced as disturbed or difficult.

In the direction of departures in stations, except for unforeseen events, no particular difficulties are to be noted for this weekend.

However, precipitation expected in the form of freezing rain and snowfall from Friday in the late afternoon until Saturday, could lead to difficult traffic conditions on mountain roads, especially for vehicles without suitable equipment.

Advice to the population:

• On the mountain road, reduce your speed and increase safety distances;

• Ride equipped with: winter tires, chains or snow socks. If you do not have this equipment, do not take the road. As a reminder, the life of snow socks is about 80 km, on a snowy road. This device is to be considered as an emergency solution;

• In the event of snowfall, front fog lights can complement dipped-beam headlights or high-beam headlights outside agglomerations and on narrow and winding roads;

• Facilitate the passage of road and highway clearance machines and avoid overtaking them.

François Ravier, Prefect of Savoie, calls on road users to exercise the utmost caution in order to guarantee everyone a safer road.
snow conditions
@Layne, It was last year the rules weren't enforced ... but this year as well rolling eyes rolling eyes

Le Gouvernement prolonge pour cette saison hivernale l'approche pédagogique

Toujours pour laisser le temps de s'adapter à l'obligation de disposer d'équipements hivernaux telle que prévue par la loi montagne et son décret d'application, aucune sanction ne sera appliquée pendant cette saison hivernale 2023-2024.
Cette tolérance ne doit pas faire oublier l’esprit de cette règlementation : « Continuer à améliorer la sécurité des usagers de la route en période hivernale ».
rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
@under a new name, Ridiculous, how many seasons is that now, plus why bother putting up the new road signs all around the area?
latest report
@under a new name,
My French isn't great, but I suspect that translates to "somebody important from Paris got caught with the wrong tyres..." Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy