Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy beginner runs Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
We are visiting Flaine next week, staying in terraces d eos and are taking my daughter for the first time and have booked lessons for her, I have done a week of lessons at Mayrhofen and a full day at Milton Keynes Snozone can anyone recommend some easy blues for me in flaine or wider grand massif area to get started on? Also some nice greens for my daughter? Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
assuming that there is enough snow and there are more slopes opens as it was in the first week of Jan, there are enough slopes.
your daughter will make lessons in Flaine Foret (with the magic carpet) and maybe the last days the will skiing the slope donw to Forum (also a nice area).
There are enough enought blue slopes around Flaine. If the snow conditions are ok, you will enjoy your staying and skiing there
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Head towards Marvel which goes down into Morillon. Its a fantastic long and wide green that goes through the trees. One of my favourite pistes in the Alps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Its really easy from your place at the Eos to ski directly out, join the green Opale and down to the Gerats chair. Then possible to do loops of either Opale again (turn left at the top of the chair) or (turn right) and use Blue Aigue Marin. Both lovely little confidence building runs.

For further afield, as above, Marvel is lovely, as is most of Morillon to be honest. The blue Sairon piste from Le Chalet to Morillon 1100 is Eh oh! . Just try to come back into Flaine before "rush hour" as the link piste of Tourmaline coming back in to the Flaine bowl can be a real confidence killer if you hit it at the wrong time. We used to try to aim to hit it at around 2pm before everyone heads back into Flaine from their day out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been to Flaine before but heading out first week in Feb. I'd be interested to know how easy it is to get from d'Eos to flaine forum, the kids are doing their lessons from there in the afternoons. Just trying to plan ahead if lunch in the apartment is possible after the mornings explorations!

How easy is it for a beginner to get from the Morillon side back to Flaine? Had looked at those green runs and wondered if they were possible in the morning before coming back to Flaine for the lessons.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Emmas85, for your blue requirement, you can take the main lift up to the top and turn left out of the station, onto "Serpentine" its blue all the way back down to village and absolutely excellent for getting confident again.

Starts with just straight across the ridge and very wide, then very gently runs round the Flaine bowl with huge amount of space to just enjoy any pace you want, arrives back at village by the nursery slopes your daughter will likely be on.

Serpentine will equally be good for early progression depending on basic level for your daughter too. Theres restaurant/cafè halfway down to use if you want it.

The direction to Marvel for beginner, I'd question. Right in that it's a nice section to ski over there, but getting her there and back as raw beginner, then no it's not suitable. It'll likely suck the confidence out of anyone at that level.

Initially I'd stick to Flaine bowl and find your feet, then see how you feel about approaching other parts. I do think it's absolutely ideal for early and progression skills though, with wide gentle piste and such easy access.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gregpl22 wrote:
Never been to Flaine before but heading out first week in Feb. I'd be interested to know how easy it is to get from d'Eos to flaine forum, the kids are doing their lessons from there in the afternoons. Just trying to plan ahead if lunch in the apartment is possible after the mornings explorations!

How easy is it for a beginner to get from the Morillon side back to Flaine? Had looked at those green runs and wondered if they were possible in the morning before coming back to Flaine for the lessons.

Easy to get to forum (lower level of village) by skiing out of Eos to "Bissac" nursery slopes. From there they can either ride the "Teleben" lift (otherwise known as yoghurt pots) down, or there's a green that goes from Bissac and loops round easily to the lower level, think it's "Epicere" or similar. Don't take them down the red from Bissac, they'll not thank you for that experience while trying to learn, its usually madly busy and a crap shoot of pacy out of control others.

I'd suck my teeth at getting raw beginners back from Morillon, its certainly lovely there, maybe you'd want to run over there first to see if you've a skill gap in your youth group rather than commit them without prior knowledge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gregpl22, think that green piste is "Epicea" it's printed on piste map over a piece of forest and always difficult to read Very Happy

Also for progression piste, Serpentine probably fulfills most aspects without having to trade difficulties of getting anywhere. As you come down there it's got quite alot of peripheral area all along that piste to get kids playing in edge stuff with little hops etc.

Certainly I'd encourage travel out to Morillon etc if skills build ok as its all very good to ski, but Flaine bowl has a lot to explore right on your doorstep.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ski3, that's amazing information, thank you so much. That's the details you just can't get from a map!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to Flaine for my second ski holiday in April last year (2 weeks after my first ski trip) so I was very much a newbie!

Crystal from the top is a great run and good for confidence. It joins the serpentine at the bottom and brings your right back into Flaine forum.

Tourmaline be advised - I hit it at 9:20am. It was icy, busy and I survived for the steep sections (first turn off the lift and near the end where there is a steep right turn).

I stayed at Helios (next to do D’Eos) and it is straight forward to get to town.

When I went, it was the last week of the season (icy in the morning and slush post 1pm). I think you’ll be fine given then recent snowfall over the last week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gregpl22 wrote:
@ski3, that's amazing information, thank you so much. That's the details you just can't get from a map!

As an additional detail, if you did walk from Eos along the path to "Forèt" level (its only a few hundred mtrs) then there's two autonomous funicular lifts that drop you to Forum level as well, locally called "Red Devils" which can also be used.

Perfectly practical to lunch at apartment and get back out from there. We've stayed there too and one of our family's favourite ski holiday. Excellent indoor pool along with stunning location for out door pool as well, a particular highlight of our evening there being outside in pool under crystal clear star scattered velvet blue sky is renembered by us all. You have to open the door and run to jump in the warm water though in that temperature Very Happy

More blue piste information. Also use lift Aup d Veran from lower Flaine village area to come back down Mephisto blue piste, just a consideration as it comes back down into tree line it shares a piece with a red for a short while, the red peels off to the left with the Meohisto going straight ahead to join a green back to bottom. Just to be aware for those preference of gentle gradient all way down. Excellent blue though to really enjoy while finding ski skill and generally brushing up again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

You have to open the door and run to jump in the warm water though in that temperature

We stayed in apartments in Austria with an outdoor heated pool. My two boys, aged about 7 and 9, invented a game where they put a handful of snow down the front of their swimming trunks and lay on the poolside. Last one to roll in was the winner.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were lucky enough to visit Tauren Spa in Kaprun before. Same kind of thing, heated pools outside looking at the snowy mountains. Just fantastic. Looking forward to something similar at d'Eos..
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Emmas85, I’d agree with the others and stay in the Flaine bowl, there’s plenty to do in it without having to ski over to one of the linked resorts, and those links can be busy, the run back down into a Flaine under the fast 8 man chair ( that’s no so easy for beginners either) can be busy and cut up in the afternoon, which is when you’d be using it if you did try to travel. There a great self service hut at the bottom of Serpentine called Le Bisac, it’s by the Bisac drag lifts, big servings, one plate will feed two easily, they do a good Tartifilette if that’s your thing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a general point for those asking about skiing between Flaine and other centres, the link runs (Tourmaline and Dolomie) , although nominally blue are not easy blues (imv) and often get cut up. There have been many comments about the difficulties of Tourmaline but Dolomie, which you have to use to get out of Flaine, can sometimes be hard work as well and I speak as a competent long term red run skier. It gets busy just like Tourmaline and is steep in places for a blue, although wide.

I don't mean to put anyone off - the GM is a great ski area which I've happily returned to many times but those link runs (often) aren't an easy cruise. If it's quiet you can, of course, use the width much more if you need to but when it's busy you have to take care. Stay safe out there snowHead
snow report
@Gregpl22, I'm staying in Eos at the moment and there is a big problem with the 'ski in ski out' facility. To get from Forum to Eos you either have to use the Tetes de Verds chair back to the bottom of the Grands Vans chair or use the Telebenne ('the yoghurt pots' as they are known), also to the bottom of the Grands Vans chair. From there use the Foret drag (very easy) to access the Gerats chair, and ski straight back to the ski locker. All very simple.

BUT....... the Foret drag is not working because they are trying to save on electricity use. You either have to get the (free) bus back to Eos or go up Grands Vans chair and ski down Tourmaline to access the Gerats chair. Although this is a blue run, it is not easy for a beginner. For the last week or so the bus has been rammed full and is not even stopping at the bottom of Grands Vans. If this is still the case when you arrive you must complain to Reception (Pierre & Vacances) who will hopefully complain, in turn, to the lift operator. Frankly, it's a disgrace.
snow conditions
@Chris Mason, many thanks, that's great information to have before I get there. The energy crisis is biting us again!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy