Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA overnight bag drop

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone dared to use the BA overnight bag drop for a largish ski bag at T5.

I'm sure the process works for conventional suitcases but I'm worried that there would be less automation once you go to the excess bag drop.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cant see why it wouldn't work as long as there someone on the oversized conveyor belt to push the button
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Worked fine for a 'normal' bag for the PreBBWUW last year. As Gored, can't see there being a problem with oversize bags.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alan1974, do come back and let us know, I am hoping to use this with a ski bag at T3 in April.

But as the others say I cant see why there would be a problem. You'll have to use a manned desk to check it in I think as they need to weigh the ski bag and record it as oversized then you're off to the oversized conveyor. So as long as they have normal baggage service going, which they will for flights for that day, it should be fine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did use it previously at Gatwick (pre-pandemic). No issues once we woke up the person who was manning the oversized bit the night before....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks everyone, I'll give it a go tomorrow and come back with the results.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did it a few years back at Gatwick. Rock up after work Friday, drop off skis and hold bag, then wander off to cheap airport hotel, then in the morning just stroll back to the terminal and straight to security with just my carry on bag on my shoulder - and pick up my skis and hold bag along with everyone elses at the other end.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mjit wrote:
Did it a few years back at Gatwick. Rock up after work Friday, drop off skis and hold bag, then wander off to cheap airport hotel, then in the morning just stroll back to the terminal and straight to security with just my carry on bag on my shoulder - and pick up my skis and hold bag along with everyone elses at the other end.

Brilliant, when everything works it makes your day. I'm going to do it tomorrow. The plan is to drop the ski's at T5 , head into town for a few beers and later on return to my hotel close to the airport. In the morning pop on to the hopper and head straight for security. What could possibly go wrong
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're going to do this next weekend for our trip to Italy, do you need to check in online or is it check in when we drop the bags?

We're going with my parents so would rather have everything in order before arriving and have them faffing with phones etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm planning to check in 24 hours in advance, select my seat and once at the airport print off the boarding tags and head to the bag drop. You can of course do everything in one go at the airport but the remaining seats may be all over the place.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
homers double wrote:
We're going to do this next weekend for our trip to Italy, do you need to check in online or is it check in when we drop the bags?

We're going with my parents so would rather have everything in order before arriving and have them faffing with phones etc.

It is bag drop, so you would need a boarding pass. You get a boarding pass after checkin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have used similar night before luggage drop services on Easyjet and Jet2 for bike box, golf clubs and general luggage. Never had any problems - great service in my opinion. Airtags are also a good idea for reducing luggage anxiety.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just bumping this for hopefully an update from those who have done this recently. We’re hoping to do this with BA for a trip from Gatwick in March, Gatwick’s website says you can do it from 18:00 to 21:00 the evening before but doesn’t make any reference to oversized luggage, just says bag drop at zone A. Hopefully should be fine but would be great to get a confirmation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dav, tweet BA? They eventually reply, maybe by March.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ster wrote:
@Dav, tweet BA? They eventually reply, maybe by March.

I emailed them last night, not got anything back yet. I’m not on Twitter but if I don’t get a response by email I’ll get one of our group to tweet them. Cheers.
snow report
Just returning to this topic to report that everything went smoothly for me. I checked in my ski bag, which included ski's , poles, helmet, boots and a whole load of ski gear.

The following day when I landed at Zurich it was waiting for me after I had made it through to the baggage reclaim.

I have to say its a very good service and I'll be following the same procedure in a few weeks
snow conditions
Dav wrote:
Just bumping this for hopefully an update from those who have done this recently. We’re hoping to do this with BA for a trip from Gatwick in March, Gatwick’s website says you can do it from 18:00 to 21:00 the evening before but doesn’t make any reference to oversized luggage, just says bag drop at zone A. Hopefully should be fine but would be great to get a confirmation.

I did it a few years ago with skis. Was the standard process of queueing for the bag drop desk, getting bags weighed, hold bag taken there and then, then take skis to oversized bag drop area.
latest report
@Alan1974, My friend dropped his bag off SUnday night for a Monday morning flight. It worked fine.
ski holidays
Thanks all. Thought it would be fine but good to have confirmation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy