Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Modifying System Skis - Remove the Rails

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alright, hear me out.

I love my Volkl Codes. So much so that I got a couple extra pair before they went out of production - they just carve & grip on east coast ice just the way I want them to. That being said, after watching a few friends get ACL injuries, I jumped on the new Tyrolia Protector binding with the lateral heal release designed to reduce knee injuries, and grabbed a pair of Fisher Ranger 102s to put them on. The problem? The bindings aren't going to help me much if I keep grabbing my Codes on every east coast ice day.

So, here's the question. The Volkl Codes have whatever rail system Volkl uses. The Tyrolia Protector bindings will mount either onto a PowerRail or a flat ski. So... has anyone ever had any luck removing the rails from a Volkl ski? What am I getting myself into? I assume I'd be compromising the stiffness a bit, but that I would likely get most of that back if I added a PowerRail (which seem to be available aftermarket).

If you have any tips, tricks, or thoughts on how to go about the removal, I'm all ears. I get that the ski might not be the same again, etc - that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Also, if you happen to know of a flat ski that skis a lot like the Codes (or Deacons)... The Head SuperShape iTitan looks promising, but I haven't been able to find a demo.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

What am I getting myself into?

A heap of pain? I suspect you end up with skis that resemble swiss cheese more than skis?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sean882,

Go to a good ski shop and ask them.

If you have more than 1 pair of skis - try changing the bindings on 1 pair!

I had the rails taken off a pair of skis and had lighter (non rail) bindings fitted because I wanted to lighten my skis.

Actually going to a ski shop is pointless they will tell you the skis and bindings are designed to work together blau, blau, blau..... they will want to sell you another pair of skis!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i wanted to buy the Tyrolia bindings for my wife, and put them on atomic skis...
I asked over 10-15 Ski Shops in GER, and all of them said "yes, but...."
it is possible, but not the best option
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sean882, I have done this a fair few times --- telemark bindings don't normally fit on alpine rails or plates. You'll probably find that the rail is secured with screws, so can be easily removed. There may be cosmetic plastic parts that are glued on, which might not look great after removal. Every ski has skied just fine afterward. Make sure that you mark the boot centre point before removalm as often this is marked on the rail, not the ski...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sean882 wrote:
Alright, hear me out.

I love my Volkl Codes.

Also, if you happen to know of a flat ski that skis a lot like the Codes (or Deacons)... The Head SuperShape iTitan looks promising, but I haven't been able to find a demo.

Certainly the Heads are worth a try, but also throw in Kastlè FX series in various width and spec, they come flat and give a supremely good cover for the question you're asking. Good quality construction, so a keeper ski. Not cheap, but as consequence sometimes available in closeout sales at good value. Well worthwhile if you can get a run on some.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
turms2 wrote:
i wanted to buy the Tyrolia bindings for my wife, and put them on atomic skis...
I asked over 10-15 Ski Shops in GER, and all of them said "yes, but...."
it is possible, but not the best option

Here's to hoping Tyrolia launches an adapter in the near future to work with other manufacturer's skis. Or other binding manufacturers license the technology. I really think they're onto something.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all for the tips. I'll see if I can find a ski tech willing to give this a try, and if not, I'll have a go with one of the pairs myself and see what happens.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

hoping Tyrolia launches an adapter in the near future to work with other manufacturer's skis

I forecast never, ever.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy