Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rear mounted ski carrier on car

Poster: A snowHead
I recently went for a smaller car but with rails on the roof and a tow bar so I can put bikes and skis on the outside of the car rather than in it.

Was thiking of a roof box but then noticed a few people offer rear mounted solutions for skis. They don't seem to be that popular so was wondering what are the downsides - anyone use one?

eg

https://www.privatesportshop.co.uk/30657/car-equipment/3586373-sno-pro-161-hitch-mounted-ski-rack-black.html

https://www.tygerauto.com/outdoor-sports/hitch-mount-ski-rack/tg-rk1b707b/hitch-mounted-ski-rack-fit-both-125-2-hitch-receiver-6-pair-skis-or-4-snowboards-tg-rk1b707b.html

https://www.thule.com/en-us/winter-and-water-sports-carriers/ski-racks/thule-tram-_-1678763

Was thinking of a horizontal one with lights & number plate holder otherwise the parking sensors will probaly sound all the time (automatically switches off when the car knows there is something connected to the back via the electric connection).

https://etowbars.com/Euro-towbar-accessories/Ski-carriers/Towbar-Ski-Carrier-Snowboard-Rack-Horizontal
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can see some obvious downsides. Particularly that the skis are directly exposed to all the crud your back tires will be kicking up from the road surface. I would not even consider this unless the skis and particularly bindings were completely sealed off from the elements in some way. The crud issue is bad enough when skis are roof mounted, but this would be a different order of maginitude.

The problem with the horizontal one is all my skis are longer than the width of the car (and we have a big car!), so quite a risk of the skis getting pranged.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Easier to load/unload than a roof box.

I had assumed the big downside would be that you couldn’t open/access the boot using them, but these seem to say you can? I would check that this functionality really works for your car.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Would avoid this, especially if you have an estate (or other square-backed car). The back of the car is the dirtiest place so either your skis, or the bag they're in, get coated in winter road grime very quickly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a mate who had rear mounted. I did one trip with him using it. Don't recall my skis being particularly dirty - not sure any different to be on the roof at least.

As mentioned above easier to load and he could certainly access the boot by lifting the tailgate.

Roofbox is enclosed and I would imagine better weight distribution but fuel efficiency wise perhaps rear mounted better but all probably negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Roofbox you can put other stuff in apart from skis.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's a picture

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As you can see it was used because there was a roofbox that couldn't take the skis (there were longer in those days Shocked )
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, he drove from the UK to alps with skis like that? Wow. Not for me, skis are tools not jewels but the amount of grit and crud that would get into the bindings would be terrifying.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless you wash you skies very thoroughly expect them to be junk within a year - the salt from the roads will attack the internals of bindings!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are boxes available that can take skis up to 185cm skis as the sides extend out (not sure how many pairs though).

https://www.fritz-berger.at/artikel/heckbox-euro-select-2124
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bit of a bvgger if you forget they are there and drive through the fast lane of the péage Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, or go under a low railway bridge
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Layne wrote:
As you can see it was used because there was a roofbox that couldn't take the skis (there were longer in those days)

People get current race skis of the same length into roofboxes.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, not that particular roofbox wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I saw a tesla in Flaine with a box mounted to the rear, so the skis were inside...
latest report
I believe there are several threads on here and no doubt articles/threads elsewhere on naked skis being transported.

The OP should read up before making a decision.

Personally I use a roofbox for several other reasons.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy