Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding mount point

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking to get Camox Freebird and Salomon shift bindings.
Question is, whether to mount on Centreline, or to 'rear' and by how far?
Black Crows suggest mounting point is -9cm, the vendor offers "touring", park, freeride or all-round,or positions +2 to -9 cm off the middle point.

Objective is mainly 'offpiste' or what I would have said was 'freeriding', with a small amount of touring.
Assuming that park is likely to be near the centre, and all-round would be furthest back... But what is the typical range and how much difference does it make.

Any sources of advice or links appreciated... Lots about how to mount these generally, but but found his to decide on the position.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot depends on your style but for off-piste/freeriding I'd mount them on the factory mark, ie the arrow on the left sidewall which is the -9cm mark. If you do much switch skiing then you can go a bit further forward but don't go further forward than -7cm.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would 2nd what @spyderjon, says, I have a similar ish ski 95mm / 16m radius twin tip, that I bought 2nd hand with bindings 50mm forward of factory mark, they didn't really ski well off piste & bumps, the tips would sink in the deep stuff & the tails would catch as I tried to flck them round over the bumps. Remounting the bindings to the factory recommended position made them a far better ski for conventional piste & offpiste skiing. I occasionally ski switch, but my 57yr old neck is too stiff to turn around far enough to see where I'm going rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks both....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have Camox Freebird (although not sure whether design has changed since mine 2016). They are mounted on factory line and I’m v happy with them for touring/ offpiste. I don’t ski switch.

FWIW I find the Black Crows factory line reliable across their range (having owned Navis and Atris also).

Off topic, but perplexed why the Shifts on a nice light ski. If you’re mostly doing lift-assisted, the non-Freebird Camox might be better?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I mounted my Line Sir Francis skis at -2cm which is the recommended mark. Im not a park skier but thought I’d go with recommended but I really struggled- they feel unstable and wobbly! I think I need to move the bindings back but I have no idea how far. These were bought for soft snow days. I don’t ski backwards (yet)! Any ideas how far back is appropriate for these skis? Thanks and apols for hijack!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@albertosaurus, I'll check my LSFBs and let you know....
@Inboard, yeah, but they'll be my 1 quiver ski and they'll get a ragging so I want robust bindings..... @tangowaggon, i still have some neck flex.... Looking to land my first 180 this year at 52....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hamilton wrote:

@Inboard, yeah, but they'll be my 1 quiver ski and they'll get a ragging so I want robust bindings.....

I think he’s asking why you’re getting the Freebird (light, fragile) version, not questioning your binding choice. If you’re going to « rag » them his question is doubly valid. You seem to be buying the wrong ski for your stated needs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Inboard wrote:
........Off topic, but perplexed why the Shifts on a nice light ski. If you’re mostly doing lift-assisted, the non-Freebird Camox might be better?

Agreed. The lighter weight Freerbird construction is calling out for an ATK etc. For mostly lift assisted the Shift on the regular Camox is a killer combo - although my choice would be Shift/Whitedot Altum 94 wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BobinCH, spot on

@spyderjon, Yep - in fact my choice was Shift on Atris. Great set up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy