Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New to skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

live on Jersey and I'm going over to the mainland in March. While I'm there I'm going to try and book a session on the dry/snow slopes to see how it feels etc...Good idea?

From there Im hoping to be keen to then book a holiday where I can try it out and explore the experiences that a skiing holiday has to offer.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Many thanks Eh oh!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First of all, welcome.
Always a good idea to get a bit of practice before a main trip.
And a dry slope is one way to do it.
But based on personal experience (and therefore a personal viewpoint) skiing on real snow is much better than a dry slope.
Where on the mainland are you going? UK or mainland Europe?
Is there an indoor snow slope you could visit - with actual snow
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JHS wrote:
First of all, welcome.
Always a good idea to get a bit of practice before a main trip.
And a dry slope is one way to do it.
But based on personal experience (and therefore a personal viewpoint) skiing on real snow is much better than a dry slope.
Where on the mainland are you going? UK or mainland Europe?
Is there an indoor snow slope you could visit - with actual snow

Totally agree with this.

A poor experience on Plastic is not an indication that you will have a poor experience on snow.

If possible, go to a Snowdome.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kebabski74, welcome to Snowheads.

While there are fewer dry ski slopes in mainland Britain than there used to be, there are now the indoor slopes with artificial snow, so you have various opportunities. I think most people would agree that it helps to have learned the basics before you hit the real outdoor snow in the Alps.

Others here are qualified instructors, but I would suggest that if you simply learn the basics of getting down a slope under control using the beginner technique of "snow plough" it will help you progess on holiday. And you will have got over one of the initial mysteries of skiing, putting on ski boots and skis!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I'll be going to Northamptonshire and I'm hoping to visit the Snowdome in Milton Keynes. They have artificial snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kebabski74, welcome to Snowheads if you do a search it will bring up both MK and Hemel slopes. Hemel slope have a good website with prices available. Snowheads use both slopes, my preference is Hemel but find it too busy at this time of year but great when a bit quieter. snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you are a fairly sporty person, and you don't mind the cold (solution there - dress properly), you should love it.
Most of us also love the wonder of the great outdoors and the huge mountains with their views, which is a big plus that you won't get in a snowdome. When I first went at age 16, after growing up in London, my thoughts were "hey those are BIG".
Be aware it is something most people don't pick up in a few hours, most need a few days to get into it, so don't be frustrated if you can't ski after 3 hours. And warm up and stretch before the first lesson, as likely your limbs will be asked/forced to go in directions they are not used to! Though my wife and sister grew up ice skating, and for them it was pretty easy.
Have fun!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kebabski74, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Having a taster session on a dry ski slope (or my preference an indoor snowdome) is a good idea and will get you used to initial stages of how to step in and out of your ski bindings, moving around on a gentle slope, sidestepping up a slope etc and a gentle snowplough down. Once you experience the feeling of gently sliding down a slope and putting in some gentle turns (hopefully under control!) most people get hooked. Very Happy

Good luck!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd always push someone in your position towards a snow dome. One thing about learning to ski is that you will fall and on snow you quickly discover that it really doesn't hurt that much so worry less about it happening. Dry slopes tend to be a little less forgiving.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Kebabski74, go for it. Book some beginner lessons at MK dome (do it in advance as theyll be busy at this time of year). Get as many as you can but even only one session will give you a head start in the mountains.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kebabski74, and don't underestimate importance of being fit as many beginners do.

You will find it more difficult, tiring and frankly not fun if you don't have a decent level of fitness. So ideally get to the gym as well as a snowdome, it makes it a lot easier and you have a chance of getting good technique and surviving a week of ski lessons.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Kebabski74, learning a bit before you go is a great idea. As you're in Northamptonshire when you're over here, then MK makes total sense. If you can find the time to book on to one their "learn to ski in a day" type packages, then that'll give you a great start.

I teach on a dry slope, and would agree it's maybe slightly more difficult than on snow, but you're learning the same techniques.

On Sunday I had a 1hr private lesson with 2 x young 20's girls. One had skied before 8 years ago, one was a complete beginner. By the end of the hour they were using the drag lift to our first level, coming down in a controlled snowplough, and starting to turn. (The one that had been 8 years ago was turning quite nicely as she had the prior experience).

You can learn a decent amount in a short space of time, but at the same time, i've taught people on a learn to ski in a day course that are struggling to make any meaningful turns after a full day of it.

Even if you learn how to put the boots and skis on, and start getting used to the sensation of sliding, then you'll appreciate it when you do get out to the mountains.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My sons friends did 2 one-day courses i. Milton Keynes and we’re skiing blues and reds on their first holiday
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy