Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

non-ski activities in Tignes (Val Claret)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off on a week's family ski-holiday on Saturday to Tignes Val Claret ....... unfortunately I won't be risking skiing due to an underlying knee injury.
However functionally the knee is fine for hiking etc., I could even give cross-country ski-ing a go, I've even seen you can go ice-diving which might make for an interesting morning.

I think there is a lot of snow forecast soon, so may need snow shoes for hiking, which I have used once before and is pretty straightforward and assume easy to rent, although would be good, for safety/sociabilty/best routes to go in a group, especially if there has been a lot for fresh snow and/or it will be snowing. Not sure lessons as such are necessary though, happy to pay for a guided group.

Any advice appreciated, especially on logistics from Val Claret snowHead
Advice on what to take too, walking poles with snow-baskets etc. ... if I were to end up giving cross-country a go, I'm guessing full salopettes etc. may be too hot.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't need anything other than stout walking boots for snowshoes. Long poles help. And if you're in "untracked" deep snow, gaiters. Avalanches don't spare snowshoers, so a group is a good idea, apart from the sociability. For cross country skiing I'd strongly recommend lessons. They'll tell you what you need. "Classic" not "skating" - the latter likely to be at least as hard on your knees as downhill.

You WILL fall over. Backwards if you aren't trying properly, forwards if you are. And if you just shuffle round a flat track it's fairly pointless.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks! What do you mean by the final comment, is this what the xc lessons will entail?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I mean is, that if you try to do xc right, you will fall over. The first time I fell over forwards the instructor was delighted. Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would check out activities organised by Evo 2.....IIRC including diving below the ice in the Lake at Lac; being pulled round the lake on skis by a pony (if not too risky) and a ride in sledge pulled by Huskies.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

diving below the ice in the Lake at Lac

Irresistible Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
meant shuffle on a flat track
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Bureau Des Guides in VC organise snow shoe walks - from what I see directly from their office and take folk off in mini buses. Shoe spikes for around town might be useful.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
why? I remember seeing a flat track in Tignes - I don't know the resort well but it was on the left, driving up towards Val Claret. Looked pretty boring. A walk up in the mountains, on snowshoes, with a group, would be a lot more enjoyable.

But if you want to shuffle round a flat track, you can rent skis, poles and boots quite cheaply. You might well still fall over though, because the skis are very narrow, and have no edges and you have free heels. If you are a lazy downhill skier (like me) you'll be accustomed to leaning on your equipment. XC skis require much better balance.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

diving below the ice in the Lake at Lac

Irresistible Laughing

You never do know. It could be a case of, "That'll do Nicely".
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh I see, you did mean that, maybe stick to hiking
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski lots wrote:
The Bureau Des Guides in VC organise snow shoe walks - from what I see directly from their office and take folk off in mini buses. Shoe spikes for around town might be useful.
great, thanks Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m here now, VC. Bureau des Guides do afternoon hikes, I’d rather mornings or full day. Evolution 2 do mornings so had a nice little hike with them today, up the hillside from the dam. Booked again tomorrow and for a full day hike on Friday, would like more full days as there is nothing you can do in your own here but can’t find anything. ESF sometimes have guided snowshoeing but not this week at least.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Person at tourist info (Maison de Tignes) reckons you can hike all the way from La Daille to Le Fornet and beyond, but she didn’t sound too confident. Any insight appreciated snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can certainly do it in the summer. However, a bit dodgy in the winter, not least as the avalanche risk is set to be 4 tomorrow. One summer route takes you via the altiport, another via the south side of the lake. I guess you could walk via the road, but a hell of a walk and again not immune to avalanche risk.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy