Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Head/Neck Clothing Setup

Poster: A snowHead
What do people wear to keep themselves warm in this area? I've previously used a North Face balaclava(I assume it was synthetic), but found that it very easily got wet around the breathing area, and became a bit of a pain after that. I've seen the Airhole neck gaiters and balaclavas that seem to try and combat this, are they good?

My ears really feel the cold, would I be better off with some sort of hat and neck gaiter combo, over a balaclava? I don't want to be wearing a full blown wooly hat under a helmet, are the skull cap type hats really any warmer than a balaclava? Any thoughts/suggestions welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never known what's wrong with a helmet and buff myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A balaclava makes a big difference if it's cold - just keep it away from mouth. I think helmets and balaclava are better than the old wooly hats, which get wet and snowy. Neoprene face masks are worth having when it's really cold, though they look sinister, or daft, depending on your point of view.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helmet and snowHead buff. 2x snowHead buffs if it particularly cold one over ears/chin before the helmet goes on.

I have used merino skull caps under a helmet when cycling but they need to be really thin to fit and be comfortable IMO.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a buff. Put your face through it so it keeps your ears covered, but don't pull it down. Fold the bottom of the opening to cover your chin. Helmet over the top. Spare buff in bag/pocket if the first one gets wet.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 9-01-23 20:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses. What is the benefit of wearing a buff over the ears in that way over just buying a balaclava?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would wear a balaclava and a big fleece necker. Skinny balaclavas fit under helmets OK. I wear a balaclava under my bike helmet in the UK too. And hope I don't meet anybody I know... it does nothing for one's hair-do.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blacky wrote:
Thanks for the responses. What is the benefit of wearing a buff over the ears in that way over just buying a balaclava?

Keeps my ears, neck and chin warm without getting my head too warm or making my helmet too tight.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't find balaclava makes my helmet too tight - it makes a lot less difference than how recently you've had your hair cut. The cut of your ski jacket makes a difference too - if the neck really does up high, and comfortably, it makes a big difference (like a sailing jacket). One reason I wouldn't buy one online.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most days you probably won’t need to cover your ears, especially if you have fleecy/furry ear covers in your helmet, only if it’s very cold or windy. The rest of the time you can wear the buff around your neck to keep the wind out, and pull it up when you need to. It’s a multi-use garment Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Air hole balaclavas are good in that your goggles don’t mist up. However everyone who wears one looks like a dodgy video effect edit as we discovered in Canada. They can still get wet though around the mouth.

My favourite is a skull cap under the helmet which covers the ears and a buff.

it kind of looks like this but don’t have mine to hand. Picked it up in Norway.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
When it’s really cold I use a buff but pull it right up over the back of my head so that one opening of the buff basically frames your face - under your chin round to your hair line. I then put my helmet on and then put my hood up over the helmet and zip my jacket up completely. With my jacket style this means it’s zipped up to just under my nose. Coupled with goggles it means that it’s only the end of my nose which is exposed to the elements.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And make sure any vents on your helmet are shut or taped up!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When it's really Canada piggin' cold I use a lightweight (eg snowheads) buff over the head/under the helmet, and a windstopper buff to seal the jacket collar with another lightweight buff from the collar area to over the mouth. Seems a pfaff but
a) that's what skiers are famous for and
b) anything else steams up my goggles.

Anything warmer than piggin' cold and I just use a buff to seal the jacket collar up to the chin, either lightweight (eg snowheads) or proper windstopper.

And by windstopper I mean Gore windstopper licensed not some pale imitation.

I've tried neoprene things but I just don't get on with them. My BIL uses a neoprene skull mask in Piggin' cold, looks the part I think and works for him...(note: he's retired!)
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet wrote:
Get a buff. Put your face through it so it keeps your ears covered, but don't pull it down. Fold the bottom of the opening to cover your chin. Helmet over the top. Spare buff in bag/pocket if the first one gets wet.

This ^

It's enough under a helmet to keep everything warm and covered if needed, without being too bulky, and light enough to be comfortable just around my next the rest of the time. Plus I have quite a few of them kicking around Laughing

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Mon 9-01-23 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@fixx, oops, you’ve highlighted my typo Embarassed Should be “face”, obvs.
latest report
@Scarlet, I didn't even spot it Laughing Quote edited Smile
latest report
Agent Orange wrote:
Air hole balaclavas are good in that your goggles don’t mist up. However everyone who wears one looks like a dodgy video effect edit as we discovered in Canada. They can still get wet though around the mouth.

My favourite is a skull cap under the helmet which covers the ears and a buff.

it kind of looks like this but don’t have mine to hand. Picked it up in Norway.

This sounds like a good solution, as I can remove individual elements based on how cold I am.
ski holidays
Two lightweight buffs, one for the neck (easy to pull up and partially cover face when it’s a bit chilly) and one as a cap under the helmet. Always done this and never had a problem or issue. Inexpensive and effective.
snow conditions
Well I stop riding at about minus 35 on surface lifts, a bit colder if the lift has heat. I don't know if I have this optimized or not, but...

I use an Arc Atom jacket as mid-layer, and it's got a hood. With goggles under helmet, it's easy to pull that hood up under the helmet when I feel the cold, or the reverse when warmed up. I've a Dakine neck gaiter thing which has some thickness to it - I don't like the thin "buff" things, which flap in and out if you breathe hard. That works for me.
ski holidays
I have always struggled with painful ears in cold weather, even with a helmet on and in relatively sunny days - the windchill gets me if I go above 15mph, which admittedly isn't often as I am hugely slow Very Happy

Anyway, I invested in one of these for our trip to Champoluc before Christmas: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N7C2V8Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&tag=amz07b-21

...and it did exactly what I wanted - was comfortable under a helmet and importantly not TOO hot. I didn't cover my mouth though.

Sadly we are done for this season because of teen-agers and exams etc, but I'll definitely look at getting a couple more for when we next go.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy