Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar booked 14-21 Jan. Which resort would you go to?

Poster: A snowHead
We have a Eurostar booked 14th Jan returning on 21st eve.
Nothing else booked yet. For those who understand the forecasts (not me) where would you go?
Somwhere we can arrive same day on train, short transfer ok. Somewhere there is enough snow now or forecast with temps staying low?
Have been looking at Serre chevalier, les arcs, les Deux Alpes. Initial idea was st anton or zell am see or solden but it looks like not as much snow forecast or as good base. Although possibly colder so snow might stick. Clueless!
It’s just me and my husband, a rare child free trip. Much needed after very stressful few months on front line NHS/ED work.
Any advice appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Personally I’d go bourg and hop on the funicular to Arc 1650.
What time train are you on? As there’s lots of bourg trains and Arc has no real
Transfer.
Moutiers has short transfers to trois valley.

Snow is now falling and you’ll have great conductions from next weekend
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FYI Les Arcs 1650 is cheap in comparison to other parts of Les arcs we found. V v quiet, no nightlife at all.
I love La Tania and that’s a short transfer from moutiers. It’s brill for access to Trois Valleys.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you want to ski on piste (if so, is the priority powder snow or lots of open pistes to explore?) or off piste? Appropriate suggestions might depend on which one.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much for reply! Arrives into Paris 12:47 pm so think a train out from 13:30 safest as short hop to gate de l’est or gate du Lyon. Don’t mind arriving late at night (so st anton/ solden/zell a possibility)
I want to avoid a concrete resort (is this les arcs? I went years ago and can’t remember!) and ideally somewhere with an outdoor spa pool like the amazing ones in Chamonix and st gervais . This might be too much of a dream though!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mostly on piste. Like reds and occasional black. Am good piste skier and like a reasonably big resort (eg pila was too small for a week) but nervous off piste and not a priority. Lots of open pistes and good snow on piste priority.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need for nightlife. Mid 40s and tired from full on work and 3 kids. Need a nice hotel and somewhere to eat. Bonus if a nearby spa
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok neither of my options. But look at Les Menuires. It’s less ‘concrete’ nice looking hotels and 3 valleys
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowysarah,
3 Valleys, Paradiski, la Rosiere, Ste Foy, Espace Killy.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that just eurostar to Paris?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Personally, I'd then take the TGV to Lausanne; a local train to Le Châble; then the 30 metre walk across to the gondola up to Verbier. e.g.

10:15 Dep. Paris, Gare du Lyon / Arr. Geneva 13:30 (TGV)
13:49 Dep. Geneva / Arr. Martigny 16:09 (Dir.Brig)
16:15 Dep. Martigny / Arr Le Châble 16:39
16:41 Dep. Le Châble / Arr. Verbier 16:54 (Télécabine)

See the SBB timetable for other schedules. The only issue with the train is usually departing Paris early enough to arrive in the Alps at your destination at a reasonable time of day. And the cost compared to flying of course, unless you can bag a discounted ticket.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 8-01-23 17:45; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone who really knows the forecasts will tell you it's a bit early to be sure of snowiness for that week.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some of the Swiss resorts might be best bet by train
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Is that just eurostar to Paris?
yes!
Have spent the morning on the train line app working out what’s feasible. Looks doable to get to oulx and then transfer to serre chevalier.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LaForet wrote:
Personally, I'd then take the TGV to Lausanne; a local train to Le Chable; then the 30 metre walk across to the gondola up to Verbier.

Very expensive though? Are meals out much more pricey than France/Austria?
ski holidays
I would say from personal experience that you can eat out reasonably in Switzerland. But like other premier resorts (e.g. like Vail or Courcheval 1850), you do need to check prices first before you walk into a restaurant. Personally, I'd rent an apartment and partly self-cater unless I could find a good full board deal in a hotel, but I appreciate that you may have different holiday preferences. I also like apartments because you get so much more living space than in a hotel, and there are some apart'hotel hybrids out there (where they convert a hotel to apartments, but keep the facilities and restaurant so you don't have to go outside.

What is definitely much more expensive in Switzerland is instruction - so if this is important for you, then yes, it may be an issue.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 8-01-23 17:52; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Quote:

Personally, I'd rent an apartment and partly self-cater

Me too but that's partly because, regardless of price, I dislike hotels. But if you can get convenient timings on a train to Oulx why wouldn't you transfer to Sauze d'Oulx rather than Serre Chevalier, which is much further away.
snow conditions
As a compromise all things swiss/france @Snowysarah, Champèry on swiss side of PdS could be a good option. Access via slopes to Avoriaz area and altitude, immediate slopes from Champèry village are all at considerable altitude with large cable car access direct from village centre. This is very convenient arrangement with choice of hotel etc, also access direct to Champèry via scheduled train.

In addition, https://www.timeout.com/switzerland/spas/thermes-parc-val-dilliez is just along the valley (one stop on train) to fulfill the spa element.

The altitude and slope orientation has as good a chance as any others of that region in respect of gaining snow if temps and fall allow. Failing that, it's by all accounts and excellent spa to make a decent time to relax if sn8w is still compromised. Very nice village too Very Happy
latest report
Lots of snow coming for St.Anton and wider Arlberg region.
Train stops at centre of village. Also taxi's to Lech in front of station. Lech-village is still white currently, and much more snow to come.
What's your budget for accomodation? January means best prices! Several lovely B&B available from 1.200 euro/doubleroom/week
snow report
Or in Champèry village centre https://www.lenational.ch/fr
snow report
St Anton you won't regret it.
snow report
For Champéry you change at Aigle rather than Martigny then get the cog railway up to the village, which I imagine should be a pretty ride. See the SBB site I cited earlier.
ski holidays
Langerzug wrote:
Lots of snow coming for St.Anton and wider Arlberg region.
Train stops at centre of village. Also taxi's to Lech in front of station. Lech-village is still white currently, and much more snow to come.
What's your budget for accomodation? January means best prices! Several lovely B&B available from 1.200 euro/doubleroom/week

Thank you
Yes this is about right for budget. Ideally hotel with breakfast or even half board.
Is there a spa with an outdoor hot pool in st anton? I want an evening under the stars in the mountains ..
snow report
Snowysarah wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Personally, I'd then take the TGV to Lausanne; a local train to Le Chable; then the 30 metre walk across to the gondola up to Verbier.

Very expensive though? Are meals out much more pricey than France/Austria?

Suspect more expensive in general but not sure by how much. This is an Italian restaurant in Verbier that I went to recently and it was excellent. Took these photos of the menu for someone else. This is fairly typical for a good restaurant in Verbier: 25chf for a large pizza; 45chf for a fillet steak

ski holidays
@Snowysarah, if you’re still interested in the 3V option, take a look at the Lodji hotel in St Martin de Belleville. I just entered your dates and they do have availability, though maybe a bit above your budget? Right next to the lift, nice spa, good grub. Also has an outdoor spa with great views. It’s a 30 min bus/ taxi ride up from Moutiers station. Lots of snow is forecast over the next few days. We are here at the moment (not at that hotel, but we’ve eaten there a few times and it’s very nice).

I’ve only done the transfer from Gare du N to Gare de Lyon once, but I had 45 mins which was barely enough. The stations were huge and confusing, though now I guess you can buy your metro tickets in advance. Make sure you know where you are going!
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
@Snowysarah, if you’re still interested in the 3V option, take a look at the Lodji hotel in St Martin de Belleville. I just entered your dates and they do have availability, though maybe a bit above your budget? Right next to the lift, nice spa, good grub. Also has an outdoor spa with great views. It’s a 30 min bus/ taxi ride up from Moutiers station. Lots of snow is forecast over the next few days. We are here at the moment (not at that hotel, but we’ve eaten there a few times and it’s very nice).

I’ve only done the transfer from Gare du N to Gare de Lyon once, but I had 45 mins which was barely enough. The stations were huge and confusing, though now I guess you can buy your metro tickets in advance. Make sure you know where you are going!

St Martin is lovely and much less ‘concrete’ than Les Menuires. Caveat, I’ve stayed in neither, just skied at 3V a couple of times.
ski holidays
@Snowysarah, St Anton seems to be the obvious answer its due to snow pretty much every day for the rest of this week. You can walk from the train station to the main lift in 5 minutes, certainly nowhere like that in France maybe some of the Swiss places (Verbier?, Grindelwald). I believe there are direct TGVs from Paris to Zürich where you change for St Anton. Given all the stories I would imagine accommodation would be easier to find than normal look at https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations
snow report
With the snow that is due this week, why not St Gervias, it has the nice town & outdoor spa that you want. I am sure the train to La Fayet is an option
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I'd rent an apartment and partly self-cater

Me too but that's partly because, regardless of price, I dislike hotels. But if you can get convenient timings on a train to Oulx why wouldn't you transfer to Sauze d'Oulx rather than Serre Chevalier, which is much further away.

That was my thought too. Via Lattea will still be open and a lot of it is quite high. I.e. Sestriere pistes start at over 2000m, Sauze skis upto 2700 etc and it's nicer and cheaper than France..

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 9-01-23 13:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Don’t go to a low resort. You may get lucky but there is no base and temps are still unpredictable so why take the risk? Go somewhere where the majority of skiing is above 2000m. Tree skiing option at lower altitudes a bonus
snow conditions
That is falling as rain on 14th/15th to high elevations. Looks much colder after that
snow report
without a doubt Arc1800. Easy to get to with 7 minute funicular direct from eurostar station at Bourg St Maurice. Then 15 minute free shuttle bus from Arc 1600 to Arc 1800. Lots of Airbnb properties that are good value and 3 decent hotels. Lots of restaurants and bars. My favourite - Cabane de Neiges is worth the visit alone.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
With the snow that is due this week, why not St Gervias, it has the nice town & outdoor spa that you want. I am sure the train to La Fayet is an option

I went to st gervais last year with girlfriends. Spa was amazing which is what I’m trying to recreate with husband! I’m not sure there is enough skiing for a week esp if low lying Megeve hasnt enough cover
snow report
munich_irish wrote:
@Snowysarah, St Anton seems to be the obvious answer its due to snow pretty much every day for the rest of this week. You can walk from the train station to the main lift in 5 minutes, certainly nowhere like that in France maybe some of the Swiss places (Verbier?, Grindelwald). I believe there are direct TGVs from Paris to Zürich where you change for St Anton. Given all the stories I would imagine accommodation would be easier to find than normal look at https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accommodation/accommodations

I was about to book st anton but have just heard it’s the World Cup womens race. Will it be bonkers busy? Not keen on crowded slopes
snow report
Perty wrote:

Oh my god it looks amazing!!! It’s also 3k per week without food. Sadly over budget. Looks beautiful though. One day!
I think we are looking at about £2300 half board.
Going nowhere at this rate!!
snow report
Hotel Arcadian at Les arcs 1600 is available but booking dot com only has a triple room with single beds, so no nooky
ski holidays
Depends what’s important. The skiing the concrete. The easy access. The budget.
latest report
munich_irish wrote:

Paris Gare de Lyon to Zurich dep 1415 arr 1826
Zurich to St Anton dep 1840 arr 2101

It's a tight connection in Zürich but shows as valid on the journey planners. Otherwise there is another train at 2040 with an extra change at Feldkirch.
snow report
We have booked a lovely hotel in Val d’isere today. Thanks for all the advice. I will save it for next time as well!
We almost booked st anton but slightly put off by the potential crowds for the World Cup
Excited!
snow conditions
[quote="MontyP"]
munich_irish wrote:

Paris Gare de Lyon to Zurich dep 1415 arr 1826
Zurich to St Anton dep 1840 arr 2101

It's a tight connection in Zürich but shows as valid on the journey planners. Otherwise there is another train at 2040 with an extra change at Feldkirch.[/This is a great tip- Trainline was showing arriving much later.

Will do this next time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy