Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot flex rate 100 or 110

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I have a question and it is confusing scenario for me and I may need member help and feedback. I'm going to get my 1st ski boot as I cannot take rental anymore. I want to build my sking skills and performance on these boots for minimum 2-3 seasons. I started skiing in Nov, 2022 and I am taking training and doing drills on my own and receive feedback on biweekly basis.
The ski boot that I could found are size 27 "flex 100" or 26 "flex 110". The 26 is tight and it is half size smaller than my mondo point. there's little room for the foot to move, especially the large toe. Though 27 has good room, but I believe both have potential to expand.
What should I consider for my 1st purchase?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the forum.

Can you make it to a recommended Bootfitter (ask on here, giving where you live), who will have the knowledge to select the right boot for you.

There is no standard for boot flex, which differs between brands and may not even be consistent between different models of the same brand.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you not ask your trainer for advice?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Haljaberi, ….knowing which boots you are considering will make a difference to the advice you will get here.

I use 26 Lange RX100 and they fit. There’s a bit more room in the toebox than optimum, but they are good.
I use Full Tilt B&E 26 and they fit better, since they are slightly shorter in sole length.
I use Atomic Hawk 25 since the Hawk is a mahoosive boot. These fit like a 26 Lange.
I use Technica Cochise 25 since the 26 is HUGE. These fit like a 26 Lange.

And so on….

Yes, go to a boot fitter if you can, since an overly narrow boot will screw everything up re sizing, crushing and elongating your foot in an un anatomical way.

Do a shell check - liner out, foot in shell, toes just brushing the front of boot - you should have 10-15mm air between your heel and the shell for a relaxed but good fit.

When liner is back in, and foot is in boot, standing up, your toes should touch the end of the boot but pull away from the end when you go into a squat skiing stance.

The third buckle must NOT be too constricting over the bridge of your foot, since a major blood supply goes over the top of the foot here, and undue construction leads to cold feet or worse.

Boots WILL pack down after use, especially in hot temps later in the season. Reckon half a mondo size reduction.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you measure 26.5 a 26 is exactly the same shell.
Don't get hung up over flex, there is no standardisation on flex, one brands 100 feels like another's 110 and another's 90.
Your better seeing a recommended fitter and let them guide you through their fitting process to get the right product for now and the next few years.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How heavy/athletic are you, I'd almost certainly go for the smaller stiffer boot if you are average or above and this is the only choice you have.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go to a boot fitter- getting the right sized boot and ensuring it is punched out or toe space made are all things you can do there.

Be aware that if you buy from the internet you’re still likely to have to go and see a boot fitter as most of the liners need to be either heated on hot air vents or some need to be baked in the oven.

I know some shops in a resort will do this liner moulding for a charge but if you haven’t got the right boot then it’s your fault.

The best is to buy in resort with a good fitter who will alter the boot due to their measurements etc. I don’t have particularly awkward feet but narrow ankles. I still usually end up getting toe space put in (20 mins of hell) and a bit of punching out at the front and then when they pack out a bit j bars around the ankles.

Saving on the internet is a false economy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As everyone else says flex is arbitrary. I was in an atomic 130 I could flex very well. Couldn’t move a Lange 120 and now in a Lange 100.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valais2 wrote:
@Haljaberi, ….knowing which boots you are considering will make a difference to the advice you will get here.

I use 26 Lange RX100 and they fit. There’s a bit more room in the toebox than optimum, but they are good.
I use Full Tilt B&E 26 and they fit better, since they are slightly shorter in sole length.
I use Atomic Hawk 25 since the Hawk is a mahoosive boot. These fit like a 26 Lange.
I use Technica Cochise 25 since the 26 is HUGE. These fit like a 26 Lange.

And so on….

Yes, go to a boot fitter if you can, since an overly narrow boot will screw everything up re sizing, crushing and elongating your foot in an un anatomical way.

Do a shell check - liner out, foot in shell, toes just brushing the front of boot - you should have 10-15mm air between your heel and the shell for a relaxed but good fit.

When liner is back in, and foot is in boot, standing up, your toes should touch the end of the boot but pull away from the end when you go into a squat skiing stance.

The third buckle must NOT be too constricting over the bridge of your foot, since a major blood supply goes over the top of the foot here, and undue construction leads to cold feet or worse.

Boots WILL pack down after use, especially in hot temps later in the season. Reckon half a mondo size reduction.

Many thanks. Unfortunately, I have no access to boot fitter in my area. the nearest one is 4 - 6 hours flying, this is the reason why I am seeking help here.
I appreciate that you shared fitting consideration and guide on liner, shell, and potential buckle constrains.

When I stand up on squat position, my toes pull away, leaving 1 cm between my largest toe and the end of the boot. But a portion of the same toe still within the toes compartment. I am worried that the boot will expand leaving empty spaces.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agent Orange wrote:
Go to a boot fitter- getting the right sized boot and ensuring it is punched out or toe space made are all things you can do there.

Be aware that if you buy from the internet you’re still likely to have to go and see a boot fitter as most of the liners need to be either heated on hot air vents or some need to be baked in the oven.

I know some shops in a resort will do this liner moulding for a charge but if you haven’t got the right boot then it’s your fault.

The best is to buy in resort with a good fitter who will alter the boot due to their measurements etc. I don’t have particularly awkward feet but narrow ankles. I still usually end up getting toe space put in (20 mins of hell) and a bit of punching out at the front and then when they pack out a bit j bars around the ankles.

Saving on the internet is a false economy

I only have option to buy from the shelf and apply all principles myself. I am restricted to decide between 2 modules within the same brand "Rossignol", as no one else ship to UAE. I am not going to travel before March, hence I am limited with options. I have enough space for my toes at the Rossignol High Speed 100 Hv Alpine Ski Boots "size 27", while my largest toe screaming when I put the 110 module "size 26".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Haljaberi, go to a reputable boot fitter as soon as you arrive in ski resort, and buy the boots there. Taking a punt sat in UAE seems nonsensical to me, buy once and buy right is my advice even if slightly more expensive compared with buying on line which is a lottery.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

go to a reputable boot fitter as soon as you arrive in ski resort, and buy the boots there

I think that's good advice - though I can understand your frustration and wanting to get your own boots right away. If you are getting good training it's unlikely that the rental boots are holding you back too much. Some trainers get people to ski with their boots undone - maybe a bit like too big sloppy rental boots!

Where are you going in March?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@Haljaberi, go to a reputable boot fitter as soon as you arrive in ski resort, and buy the boots there. Taking a punt sat in UAE seems nonsensical to me, buy once and buy right is my advice even if slightly more expensive compared with buying on line which is a lottery.

Got it. It's preferred to buy once and buy good rather than try now and regret later. I will continue training with rental boots till I've got access to boot fitter.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

go to a reputable boot fitter as soon as you arrive in ski resort, and buy the boots there

I think that's good advice - though I can understand your frustration and wanting to get your own boots right away. If you are getting good training it's unlikely that the rental boots are holding you back too much. Some trainers get people to ski with their boots undone - maybe a bit like too big sloppy rental boots!

Where are you going in March?

Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy