Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara (Badia) or Selva (Gardena)… Just can’t decide…

Poster: A snowHead
I posted awhile ago, looking for resorts for a few of us with our 9 month old. We’ve narrowed it down to the towns of Corvara and Selva. I understand they’re connected but with the little man at the hotel/lodge, we likely won’t ski across (unless it’s quicker than I think). Maybe we day trip, but looking for thoughts on which one to choose. We’re intermediate skiers and enjoy the occasional black, fear we might get a bit bored at Alta Badia but also think Corvara might be a bit nicer town/food wise? Help! Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for Corvara, or perhaps Colfosco? I reckon. It's more relaxed for a young family. Selva is a doddle from either, as is the whole of Alta Badia area. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go for whichever had the most convincing child care offer!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Corvara is way nicer IMO, Plenty of intermediate terrain and easy access to more challenging stuff. Colfosco next door literally one lift accross a flat area is lovely too - a good bit quieter than Corvara. Both have some stunning hotels - some will have childcare. I personally found Selva less appealing but individual choice. It’s very easy to ski to Selva from Corvara so can easily spend some time there if based in Alta Badia.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When are you going? when I was scouting round hotels in Corvara/Colfosco/San Cassiano recently there was very little available. But that was for February/March week which I think is quite busy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would also suggest either Corvara or Colfosco, although I have only stayed in Corvara. The gondola between the two is horizontal and at resort level.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I doubt if you’d get bored skiing around Corvara:

- Both areas have World Cup black runs
- Both are on the Sella Ronda
- Corvara has better access to some easy but fun exploring such as the Hidden Valley, Santa Croce and Cinque Torri
- Corvara has easy access to Arabba if you want some more challenging slopes.
- For longer trips from Corvara you can ski to Marmolada or ski over and explore some of Cortina.

I’d agree with Pam W though. Good child care is probably key to you having a good holiday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Much appreciated on the replies. We won’t be utilized child care for point of reference. Since one of us will always be hanging back with the kiddo, I fear we won’t be able to reach Abba, etc from Corvara as we’ll have to return to relieve the other. Thoughts?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Best be as close as possible to lifts, I guess, for swift changeovers. A gondola with a nice resto at the top would be good - nice place to meet but you won't want to take the baby on a chairlift (well, I wouldn't, but some people ski around with them in backpacks Skullie ).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think that even with just 2-3 hours of skiing at a time you’ll have plenty to keep you busy including a trip to Arabba. It probably only takes 20-30 minutes to get to Arabba from Corvara.

Santa Croce and back is probably a 2-3 hour trip including a coffee stop.
Hidden valley similarly 2-3 hours if you make an early start and avoid the crowds.

The restaurant up at the top of the Boe gondola is a nice place to meet.

I’d also recommend getting a ski locker besides the lifts so you won’t have to carry the baby and ski gear at the same time. The Corvara ski school has nice lockers near the Boe gondola.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also would go with Covara as first choice.
Would be ok in Selva but find getting through the town can be a bit of a bottle neck.
Go where you can get the accommodation you need.
Go and enjoy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm a big Selvagenlist but I think Corvara might be the right place. You have Alta Badia right there. It's a quick hop to Arraba to get some steeper stuff. It's also easy to get over to Selva, the Dantercepies runs I think are somewhat underrated. A lap of the Sella Ronda can be done in 3 hours especially skiing solo. I think foot passengers are allowed up to Col Alt, very nice restaurant up there.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123027

There’s an old thread of pedestrian-accessible restaurants. I’ll admit that I was unaware there’s a restaurant at Col Alt! Is it directly above the gondola top station. Great view from there. On our last holiday we met the Mrs at Moritzino (above La Villa) and Boe Alpine lodge. There is an off-road riverside walk between La Villa and Corvara that is lovely. Looks like it takes about an hour, and there’s a bus back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I’d also recommend getting a ski locker besides the lifts so you won’t have to carry the baby and ski gear at the same time.

Good idea, provided they're heated. I wouldn't leave the baby in an unheated locker. Well, maybe for an hour if he was well wrapped up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
what...snow wrote:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=123027

There’s an old thread of pedestrian-accessible restaurants. I’ll admit that I was unaware there’s a restaurant at Col Alt! Is it directly above the gondola top station. Great view from there. On our last holiday we met the Mrs at Moritzino (above La Villa) and Boe Alpine lodge. There is an off-road riverside walk between La Villa and Corvara that is lovely. Looks like it takes about an hour, and there’s a bus back.

It's the cazzate di cane! Upstairs is a noraml cafe bar but downstairs has the works, terrace, oysters, champers, cracking view of those ugly mountains.
snow conditions
Quote:

cazzate di cane

Shocked
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

cazzate di cane

Shocked

They're not on the menu.
latest report
Would have tried it if I’d known! Thanks @sean1967, hopefully we’ll go back there some day. Sassongher right in your face there, although not quite as much as at the top of Col Pradat.
ski holidays
sean1967 wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

cazzate di cane

Shocked

They're not on the menu.

I thought you were introducing us to a new local delicacy! Laughing Laughing

Though I think the correct word in this context would be palle or coglioni Puzzled

Cazzate is a word related to the slang term for the male member and is used if you're talking bo**ocks wink

https://en.bab.la/dictionary/italian-english/cazzate
ski holidays
@Schmoyer, you might also like to consider staying in Seis/Suisi. Nice town with a gondola up to Compatsch complex (ski shops, public lockers (leave skis and boots up there overnight), showers, restaurants, ski schools, nursery slopes, possibly even a crèche) at Seiser Alm/Alpe di Siusi. It’s a nature reserve and huge alpine meadow in summer. You can smell the cows.

There’s a wide range of multi-generation activities including walking, snow shoeing, taboganning, cross country skiing, horse-drawn sleigh rides, and of course downhill skiing.

There’s a bus route and walking routes to many great restaurants, including those at Compatsch. Honestly, I can’t speak highly enough of the area for families that include non-skiing members. The baby carer can walk to Gostner Schwaïge and get an early table in the sun or a cosy table upstairs before it fills up. It may even be possible to push a pram if it’s go5 big wheels.

Happy to give you more suggestions.

For example, see here for a day out, if the skier gets a whole day out to themselves:
Val Gardena Ronda, and you only need the Seiser Alm/Val Gardena area local pass.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162766#5065208

Fly to Innsbruck or Verona. The drive is easier than from Venice to Corvara.

On old article:
https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2010/oct/23/skiing-south-tyrol-austria-italy-family-holiday?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy