Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on skiing wearing glasses please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I am a contact lense wearer and always use them when skiing, unfortunately it looks like I will have to use glasses this time due to a not fully recovered scratch on one eye. Any advice on which goggles to purchase much appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nip down to your local Decathlon and try theirs in over your glasses. I had to ski in my glasses for a day on the PSB and found that their second-cheapest low light goggles fitted over no problem. They were also the envy of my ski buddies as they didn't fog up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never had problems skiing with glasses under goggles but as mentioned, it's always best to actually try candidate googles out to see if they fit, whatever they claim, as spectacle frames vary so much. Worth getting a quality lens cloth for when they steam up entering a warm building - the cloth that come with your glasses are often low quality.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What are your current goggles? I take it that they don't fit over glasses?

Your other option is to get inserts with your prescription, for the goggles you choose.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great suggestion Old Fartbag!! Have to say I had just assumed my current Smith goggles would not cover my glasses, but have just tried them and they are not too bad. Possibly a bit snug but certainly usable.

Will also try Decathalon and see what they have.

All answers really helpful. Many thanks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Skisue, You will need good anti fog spray for your glasses (not goggles), which will otherwise fog up inside your goggles. Bring it with you up the mountain.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Fartbag, any particular brands you have used? Amazon have a wide selection
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skisue wrote:
@Old Fartbag, any particular brands you have used? Amazon have a wide selection

I don't wear glasses.

I was with my Son, who was wearing glasses that fogged up. I was advised to rub a raw potato on them (by JoJo the Bootfitter in Tignes). I got a very strange look from the waitress at the hotel when I asked for one - which she very reluctantly got for me. I think she had me down as an eccentric nutter (not far off the mark). It did give my Son a laugh though. It didn't work.

I ended up finding something in the resort - which of course cost significantly more.

Maybe ask your optician....or someone on here might come up with something.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, will do some research. But definitely feel a bit more comfortable about having to wear my glasses now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My glasses don't fog up on the mountain, but they have a batch of special coatings that may help. So the advice to apply an anti-fog spray is useful in case your spectacles are more prone to this. And it'll help when you take a break at a café/restaurant anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wear specs all time skiing, I found the helmet with the visors better than goggles as they let some ventilation
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This article recommends Muc-Off: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ospublishing/story/30798e91-2179-4aaf-bfe0-52b6cfa4eba4/ref=sxin_15?cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-single-source-pecos-desktop&linkCode=oas&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.30798e91-2179-4aaf-bfe0-52b6cfa4eba4.A1F83G8C2ARO7P.en_GB&asc_contentid=amzn1.osa.30798e91-2179-4aaf-bfe0-52b6cfa4eba4.A1F83G8C2ARO7P.en_GB&cv_ct_we=article-page&content-id=amzn1.sym.1ffc78d9-6ca5-45a3-9a92-e0cd6c518bf8%3Aamzn1.sym.1ffc78d9-6ca5-45a3-9a92-e0cd6c518bf8&qid=1673102453&ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.30798e91-2179-4aaf-bfe0-52b6cfa4eba4.A1F83G8C2ARO7P.en_GB&pf_rd_p=1ffc78d9-6ca5-45a3-9a92-e0cd6c518bf8&pf_rd_r=5RV999QFJY4P113WDX1Z&pd_rd_wg=wefc5&pd_rd_w=FnGng&tag=amz07b-21&asc_contenttype=article&pd_rd_r=352403e2-d69c-4e6a-8757-cec6ad60cb7b&cv_ct_cx=anti+fog+spray+for+glasses
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny996, can you retro-fit visors to helmets or do they have to be bought as a unit? I have prescription inserts (very cheap in Albertville) but my prescription has changed.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, sorry i dont know if they can be retro fited , i doubt it thou.
I tried on multiple helmets to make sure the visor sat over my specs , some did but couldnt go up\down without hitting them, however the decathlon one fitted best & i can flip visor up\down on the move
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, nope….we use Oakley Canopy with glasses. Excellent fit. Excellent goggles if using PRIZM lens….
snow conditions
Assuming this is just a 'one off' while your eye heals I'd just get the cheapest pair of 'OTG' goggles you can.

If longer term plan visor helmets seem to work well and some people have success with glasses/OTG goggles. I didn't have any luck with OTG goggles and found the best option are goggles with prescription inserts (not tried visor helmet yet).

In all cases cleanliness is your best friend. Having a quality anti-fog lens cloth and giving them a good clean each morning will mean the fewest contaminants on the glass for moisture to condense around so best chance of keeping the fog at bay.
snow report
A friend had huge OTG goggles which made him look like an extra from "The Fly", especially as he was well over 6' and spectacularly thin.
latest report
Mjit wrote:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/frost-and-ice/ice-pancakes this is just a 'one off' while your eye heals I'd just get the cheapest pair of 'OTG' goggles you can.

I should probably know the answer to this but wouldn’t it be possible to buy any cheap pair of goggles (with larger lenses, obvs) and trim the foam to allow for the specs’ arms?

[quote=“Mjit”]
In all cases cleanliness is your best friend..[/quote]

I’ve tried the anti-fog sprays and, whilst they are helpful, I find airflow to be my best friend when wearing goggles - hold the goggles off your face a bit when you start moving and the fog clears very quickly.

Never put goggles up on a damp hat when you stop! Embarassed

Edit: not sure why the second quote hasn’t worked Puzzled
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
I should probably know the answer to this but wouldn’t it be possible to buy any cheap pair of goggles (with larger lenses, obvs) and trim the foam to allow for the specs’ arms?

No... speaking as someone who tried that Eh oh!

Proper OTG goggles are bigger meaning the lens sits farther away from your face (so allowing better airflow which is also important as you notied). Being farther away also means you don't get any contact between the goggle lens and your spectacle frames, something I found did happen with standard goggles (arms weren't really an issue and the foam just squished around them.

The other thing if using glasses of course is to make sure you have a spare pair. Nothing worse than taking a tumble on piste, braking your glasses and not being able to drive home!
ski holidays
Many thanks for the great responses. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy