Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term travel

Poster: A snowHead
We've finally decided to try Val d'Isere for the February half term week. We're travelling independently saving at least 25% on the package price. One of my colleagues was recounting his driving experience last year when it took him 8 hours to drive from Lyons to Val d'Isere. Even allowing for a bit of exaggeration, this doesn't sound very appealing. I'm thinking of flying into Grenoble. Would I be right in thinking that if I do a Sunday to Sunday it'll be a much easier drive than a Saturday to Saturday? Alternatively I could fly in on the Friday evening, stay in the area overnight and then leave very early on Saturday morning to beat the traffic. Is this sensible, or what does anyone suggest? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noggy, Sunday travel is totally different which is why some smaller TOs choose that day. You should have no problems on a Sunday. The problem may be arranging your resort accomodation sunday-sunday. AFAIK the roads are busy from VERY early on those Saturdays.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Thanks - the hotel I've found seem hapy about Sun/Sun, which I was a bit surprised about at the time. Only downside then is that the group lessons wil have started, but n'mind.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy, your friend might not have been exaggerating. I'm had similar experiences in the past when driving on one of the busy February Saturdays. Travelling on a Sunday helps a lot, but as FtS said you will need to find accommodation which books flexibly rather than just Saturday-Saturday. Finding a nearby hotel on the Friday night is a good solution, I've done this a couple of times and stayed in Moutiers, although book early as many people do this and it's difficult to get Friday night accommodation near the Savoie resorts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noggy, After 1 horrendous 8hr Tignes transfer we have since only used TOs that do Sunday change overand the roads were very quite half term last year
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked Shocked Shocked I can do Calais to Montalbert in that time! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mouth, Try it on half term Saturday wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Def go Sunday-Sunday. I went to Val a few years back Sat-Sat. It has the best ski area and lift system I have ever encountered but the transfer was a nightmare and becoz of that I have never been back.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My brother leaves fri after work & school - about 4pm on friday eve, drives like a madman & makes it to peisey by 2am on Sat. Then skis all day the following sat while his tolerant wife cleans the appartment & packs the car, & then leaves again about 4. By then the traffic has calmed down. Gets back to essex about 2am sun morning. But its our own appartment, so he knows it will either be empty, or either we will be there, or friends who dont mind them arriving in the wee hours. We have older kids, uni & beyond, so tend to take friday off work & leave Fri morning. If appartment is rented out, we occasionally spend fri night in a local hotel overnight, but usually juggle the renting accordingly. We also do the skiing sat & leaving late sat.
rob@rar.org.uk, with booking hotel fri night, we leave it to the last minute, coz we find that the local hoteliers dont release the room until about 2 weeks before the date needed, in case they are able to sell the room for the whole week. We've used Au Bon Accuiel in Landry & the Vanoise in Peisey.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
noggy, I don't think your colleague is exaggerating. Sunday-Sunday will be better - other alternative is Skitrain to Bourg St Maurice and taxi (then you will get 8 days skiing).
The Saturday transfers when Parisian schools are on holiday result in grid-lock from Albertville all the way to BourgStM, and a similar prob leaving the next weekend (unless you ski the Saturday and come down late as suggested by geri and either drive overnight or have a pre-booked hotel at eg Annecy).
Do not expect ANY hotels en-route to have free rooms and do make sure you pre-book and confirm if you end up driving.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mouth wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked Shocked Shocked I can do Calais to Montalbert in that time! Shocked Shocked

Don't forget I got stuck in the same snowstorm around Lyon, took us 3 or 4 hours just to do the Lyon bypass (20 mins on a good day) Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
But also the new bit of Dual carriage way opens between Aime and Moutier this Christmas which will help the Saturday crowds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
noggy, my suggestion would be....forget trying to ski in France during half term!! wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B, -really??!!! You have me worried. If I don't ski at 1/2 term, I don't ski at all. Are the slopes really that busy? Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
noggy, it doesn't have to be just chose a resort that isn't overun by Brits at 1/2 trerm.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Like Val d'Isere, for example wink
Just sent the booking e-mail to the hotel. I thought Val d'Isere ticked almost all of the boxes. Been looking at Cervinia (been put of by the access to the ski lifts), Austria (did Obergurgl last year and enjoyed it, although ski area a bit limiting for my son). So that left France. Did Meribel for a last minute pre-Christmas dads and sons last year (not a pretty resort). Would have tried St Martin de B. but my wife is more or less an absolute beginner, and I understand that it's not ideal in that respect. Hope I'm not back to square one! Help!!
snow report
 brian
brian
noggy, don't worry too much. I was paranoid following a plethora of similar comments last year. We went to Les Gets and while you wouldn't exactly call it quiet, a modern lift system with high speed quads and 6 packs ensured that queuing was only a few minutes at most. There are quieter spots to be found in most resorts if you can get a bit of local knowledge.

Worse was restaurants etc. which were packed out with annoying Brits, it has to be said. We were on a multi-family type jaunt with young kids so did most aprés in house, just as well I think Confused
snow conditions
Quote:

Would have tried St Martin de B. but my wife is more or less an absolute beginner, and I understand that it's not ideal in that respect.

Neither is Val d'Isere chummy. St Martin is probably better if anything. It has a nursery slope and blue runs back down from the gondola. Beginners in Val d'Isere are usually best advised to download from the top as the resort runs are not easy and v busy.
latest report
We skied in 'Espace Killy' (stayed in Val Claret) at half term a couple of years ago, and found the lift system well able to cope with the numbers. Only a very few significant waits, and they weren't too long. It would help if 8 man chairs didn't go up with 2 people on when there's a queue, mind you.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 15-06-06 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
noggy, I've never skied France during 1/2 term....my reply was more along the lines of....there are plenty of other countries that have skiing without the transfer problems.
latest report
noggy, we have skied various French resorts at half-term but not VdI. We have skied Tignes the last two Easters and I would not be worrying about the ski queues, but might be worrying more about the vast number of Brits in the resort (it seems less of a problem in Tignes).
Would happily recommend le Levanna Hotel in Val Claret but don't know if they would do a Sunday-Sunday (but you could go on the train!!!)
latest report
noggy, you could always try La Rosiere, there's a few comments in th resorts section and if you want to see how crowded it gets go to our website www.tracksvacations.com and click on gallery there are some photos taken in Feb 1/2term this season. Great resort for beginners and we have still some space in the 1st 1/2term week.
snow report
noggy, I forgot to say that we are skiing this Feb half-term in France again... but as a result of the numerous recommendations both of friends who were there last season, and David@traxvax and other snowHead s, we are skiing in la Rosiere... thanks for reminding me David!
ski holidays
Nick L, Excellent choice Very Happy
ski holidays
I know Frosty , it's partly your two resort reports that helped make the choice
snow report
Oh god, I hope its good wink
snow conditions
Yes so do I - or your lard might be used as fuel at the EOSB - which I intend to get to this season (have already booked the time off - it will be the first time I have had two ski holidays in one year!)
ski holidays
noggy, It is not that bad, honest. As a teacher, like you I can only do main holidays and we go to 3V for Feb half-term. I have an ironically titled picture from last year in the media zone. I'll see if I can link it.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/523/cat/500/ppuser/107

Hope that works!

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Quote:

Would have tried St Martin de B. but my wife is more or less an absolute beginner, and I understand that it's not ideal in that respect.

Neither is Val d'Isere chummy. St Martin is probably better if anything. It has a nursery slope and blue runs back down from the gondola. Beginners in Val d'Isere are usually best advised to download from the top as the resort runs are not easy and v busy.

I agree that Val D'I is not a good place for beginners, or near beginners. For good skiers, even at half term, the lift system can cope (my son spent last season working there and said he could always find good places to go). But he also said that the runs down into resort were often very busy, with lots of incompetent and scared skiers, and very often icy too. There are NO easy runs back down, whatever the piste map says (the green one to La Daille, though obviously far easier than La Face, would be red in many resorts, and is often icy, mogulled and crowded).
snow report
Just go Sun to Sun you'll have no probs at all travelling-I do 12 weeks with a lot of trips to all the airports half term sat is a no no trust me you''ll be glad you choose sun just look down the road on sat to see what you could have done
snow conditions
Have to agree with Elizabeth B, here - why go to France? not only do we clash with hoards of brits but it is peak school holiday for French schools as well.

It's Italy for us at half term this year, I can't stand the thought of the journey to France let alone the crowds at the main link lifts wherever you go - even La Rosiere gets large lift queues at times.
latest report
You could avoid the Tarentaise of course, and the traffic wouldn't be so bad.
ski holidays
Well, I dunno. Sad Puzzled Every resort I look at, I find/hear reasons not to go! Traffic, greens are reds, ice, queues, poor snow record, lack of atmosphere, too high (all above the tree line), too low (slushy) poor lift/piste access, etc. etc. There must be somewhere suitable in Europe that fits the bill. Good for beginners and intermediates, snow sure, good access to the slopes, attractive village, transfer times not horrific, reasonably sophisticated but not OTT, good ski schools? I know it's a compromise, but ......
latest report
noggy, I'm sure that there are lots of resorts that fit your criteria, but I'd agree that that Val d'Isere isn't one of them. As much as I like the resort (and the entire Espace Killy ski domain) I don't think it it is well suited to new skiers with just a week or two of experience. This is not because there is a shortage of suitable terrain (there's lots of gentle pistes) but because there are no really suitable ways to ski back to the resort. Runs back to village level are relatively steep, and because of the level of traffc, sometimes quite icy. If skiing back to the village is important for you and your wife, I'd suggest you look elsewhere.
ski holidays
noggy, I'm sure DG Orf will be along soon to suggest Wengen!!

If I were you, I'd look at some of the Austrian resorts. Many of these (as do the Swiss ones) have a rail transfer...which means that you are unlikely to get delayed. They also have attractive villages, ski instructors who have English as their 1st language (or are very fluent in their 2nd), plenty of atmosphere.....
ski holidays
noggy, the only reason you might want to reconsider Val D'Isere is that it's reputation for beginners and, perhaps more so, for early intermediates is not great. Whether it's true or not I don't know. If you're arranging the trip yourself, you can fly out at time when everyone else isn't (Friday night or Sun to Sun as you mention would be good). Don't worry too much about lift queues. Some of the pistes get very busy at particular times, but you either live with it (it's no big deal) or time your skiing to avoid it.

If you decide to try Austria, Kitzbuhel is a good spot. It has good skiing for almost everyone; no especially challenging blacks. The lifts cope well at half term and the snow has been good then for the last 2 years at least. You can drive, train or get a private or semi private transfer from Munich, which has reasonably priced flights. The roads get very busy on transfer days. Arriving in Munich late afternoon or evening has been fine; no delays. Driving back in the middle of the day is very slow, but it's not a long distance (about 85 miles, mostly m'way - on a clear road you can do it in less than 90 mins if you put your foot down). Better to go for an early or late return flight. The train is fine, but considering it's not far, it's slow. You have to change twice at least, in Munich and somewhere else.
ski holidays
I agree with all the comments above re the suitability of Val d'sere for beginners. My view is that all the runs down to st martin d'bellville are easier than those back into the village or Le daille for that matter. Ignore the blue on the piste map that seems to come into the village-it doesn't exist. The main route in is La Face which is a genuine black with daily carnage due to the fact that there are beginners on there who shouldn't be. If your wife is happy to come down to village level on lifts then Vald'sere has plenty of beginners terrain especially in Le Fornet/ glacier area
snow report
noggy, mid-Feb is usually excellent snow conditions everywhere, it's just the pistes that are busier. I have an apartment in Serre Chevalier which is in the village of Monetier-les-Bains, it has a reputation of being a very busy resort at half-term, but Monetier is much quieter than the rest of the area. The nursery slopes are at the foot of the pistes, and theres' some nice blues to progress to. You can also fly to Turin as well as Grenoble which avoids the Lyon traffic. La Rosiere would also fit the bill though, as we've skied there and loved it. Which week are your kids on half-term?
snow conditions
Quote:

There must be somewhere suitable in Europe that fits the bill. Good for beginners and intermediates, snow sure, good access to the slopes, attractive village, transfer times not horrific, reasonably sophisticated but not OTT, good ski schools

that's a lot to ask, actually. The perfect ski resort! Courchevel 1850 might come close. It's not authentic or terribly pretty - but you can stay very near the slopes (in atmospheric beautiful places like Kitzbuhel that's not often possible). The snowsure, convenient, big resorts like La Plagne have little charm (but loads of tree level ski-ing for bad days). But we can all argue for ever about this..... I think quite a lot of Snowheads dislike Val D'Isere, me included, but we all reckon we have good reasons! Some people (presumably hooray henry Brits) love the hooray henry Brit dominance of the place, for others that is a turnoff. My son spent all last winter there (cooking, when he wasn't on the slopes) and he loved the ski-ing and the scope, especially off piste, of the Espace Killy. But he found some of the British visitors hard to take. When I visited him, and couldn't find his apartment, the first four people I asked for directions (in my adequate but not brilliant French) were all English. They didn't know the way though!
snow report
Quote:

Good for beginners and intermediates, snow sure, good access to the slopes, attractive village, transfer times not horrific, reasonably sophisticated but not OTT, good ski schools?

Saalbach-Hinterglemm in Austria. Not the highest ski area but as you are going mid-season you should be fine. Ticks every box.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy