Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee Braces To Prevent Leg Extension

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last May I injured my knee. And yes, it was caused by moshing Embarassed

After Xray's and MRI's it was determined that I had a very small tear to the meniscus in my knee. Or a torn cartilage in old money. However, the tear was so slight that the surgeon suggested that he didn't operate and instead we should see how it progressed.

That was September, and as I had a big ski trip booked for the end of January this year I did push him on the point. However, he was still reluctant to operate. Currently I can walk uphill and on the flat OK, but I do limp on downhills as I can't extend the leg fully without pain. I can also ski (indoors anyway) as the boot puts the knee in comfortable bent position. But I'm worried that falls and similar "oh poo-poo" moments may lead to involuntary extensions or twisting.

Similarly a full bend of the leg hurts like hell, but I don't think there's much i can do about that.

I've seen braces on the market that are designed to prevent over extensions and are adjustable as to the max angle. They seem just the job, but as usual the price range/specification/choice is huge.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried one that actually worked as well as it says on the tin?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mosha Marc wrote:

After Xray's and MRI's it was determined that I had a very small tear to the meniscus in my knee. Or a torn cartilage in old money. However, the tear was so slight that the surgeon suggested that he didn't operate and instead we should see how it progressed.

That was September, and as I had a big ski trip booked for the end of January this year I did push him on the point. However, he was still reluctant to operate. Currently I can walk uphill and on the flat OK, but I do limp on downhills as I can't extend the leg fully without pain. I can also ski (indoors anyway) as the boot puts the knee in comfortable bent position. But I'm worried that falls and similar "oh poo-poo" moments may lead to involuntary extensions or twisting.

Similarly a full bend of the leg hurts like hell, but I don't think there's much i can do about that.

I've seen braces on the market that are designed to prevent over extensions and are adjustable as to the max angle. They seem just the job, but as usual the price range/specification/choice is huge.

So I was wondering if anyone had tried one that actually worked as well as it says on the tin?

Cheers

It may help but probably not.
May be worth trying to get it injected with steroid.
The injection needs to be alongside the meniscus not just into the knee.
Perhaps go back to your surgeon to ask.
On the whole i think it is ok to ski with a medial meniscus tear if it can be got to a point where it isnt that sore. One caveat to that is don’t ski with a puffy knee ( an effusion) as your risk of injury goes up.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got one due to me being wary of leg extensions as that's how I did my ACL / MCL / TPF a few years back but I am quite sure it's psychological more than anything else in it's support.

It's this neoprene https://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/donjoy-playmaker-ii but with the force point hinges from a higher spec fixed frame brace as I was too short (155cm) for the fixed frame brace as it went down past my ski boot cuff and far too up my thigh to be comfy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jonathan Bell, thank you. I have emailed him about a prescription for painkillers just in case - but will also ask about the injection.

In the meantime I have located this: https://www.healthandcare.co.uk/wraparound-knee-supports/ossur-rebound-rom-long-knee-wrap-brace.html which limits my Range Of Movement of both extending and flexing. It doesn't interfere with the ski boot either. I'm just wondering whether to go with the sleeve or wrap version due to my stumpy legs and big calves.

Now to go and drop some cliffs!! Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:

Cheers

Have you had a second opinion at all? Unless there's significant damage that needs trimming, the meniscus shouldn't cause too many issues - at least this was my experience years back!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mosha Marc,

I have a torn meniscus and a custom donjoy offloader brace to keep me skiing. Major issue is that it doesn't fit under any of my newer ski pants - fortunately had an older baggier pair knocking around! Madeye-Smiley
Mostly I find skiing no problem, even fairly enthusiastic bump skiing, and small jumps/drops, but also like you note, walking up is fine, but downhill (and walking in general) not great - the brace I have can have extension stops fitted, so I was pondering asking thr brace fitter/physio/doctor about that.

When skiing I do find turning to the side that that loads up the bad knee harder in steeps and tricky snow - I'm not sure if this is the knee, the brace, or psychological. In heavy snow I am super nervous about making it worse.

No surgery for me either, apparently it doesn't have good long term results if they take bits out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stuarth, thanks, that's useful as i know you ski frequently.

I go on my trip on Saturday, and I must confess it has me a bit concerned.

@Mcaff, I haven't looked at a second opinion; it was hard enough trying to get a first opinion!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy