Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Celeste Tour Boot questions (rubbish instructions)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just purchased a pair of these boots and the instructions are pretty useless.
They don’t cover proper adjustment of the buckles very well at all.
The top buckle is reasonably straight forward, in that you san see you are able to move the buckle point by unscrewing it:

But the cable based system over the toe is not so clear, even with the everything set to the tightest setting the buckle applies hardly any pressure at all, can you unscrew the clamp in green, trim the cable and then re attach?

Also there is a sheet of what look like protective stickers:

The sheet seems to suggest sticking them on the buckles!
The only thing I can assume it means is underneath the hooks of the buckles, but this means pretty much dismantling half the boot to fit the stickers! Which could have been done in assembly!

Also, there is no info on the temperature or duration needed for the thermo mould liner.

Anyone able to help with the above queries?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-01-23 20:35; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or how to insert an image! rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ish303, Fixed them, you need to copy the HTML link, rather than the Image Smile

2 of your URL's are for the same image.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 5-01-23 20:57; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Right, think I’ve got the hang of the images!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On the forefoot buckle, the silver bar section should be threaded, so it should screw in and out to give fine adjustment, so should allow some further tightening, but I don't know if it would be enough to help.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah it is, and it does, but it would better if we could get the baseline in the middle of adjustment (if that makes sense). Even with the micro adjustment at max it only applies the sort of pressure you think would be mid range.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the stickers go on the insides of where the clips mount (the back of the rivets) to help reduce wear on the liner when you are skinning up, they can also reduce any slight water ingress

the front clip, if you are on the tightest setting on a new boot with (or without) the micro adjusted in it would suggest the boot is either too big for you or at least has too much volume for your foot the Celeste is certainly at the wide high end of the boot last scale so if you have a narrow or medium foot then this could be the issue, you might be able to get a shorter cable form Scott, but if it isnt applying any tension now a shorter cable isn't really going to help you much after a couple of weeks use
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boots are too big. Return them to your online retailer and go and see a good bootfitter.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For the front clip it’s not really a case of it doesn’t apply enough pressure with the foot in, on the first setting the buckle doesn’t even touch the shell at all by about 4mm, the second setting leaves about 1-2mm it only actually contacts the shell on the 3rd setting and actually applies pressure on the max.

It may be hard to see in pictures but here’s one anyway:

Basically it feels like there is too much slack in the system to start as the buckle is redundant in terms of applying any pressure at all until the last setting.
It’s not a case of it’s tightening each time but we want it even tighter.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ish303 wrote:
For the front clip it’s not really a case of it doesn’t apply enough pressure with the foot in, on the first setting the buckle doesn’t even touch the shell at all by about 4mm, the second setting leaves about 1-2mm it only actually contacts the shell on the 3rd setting and actually applies pressure on the max.

I think you've already had your answer from @spyderjon, but this seems to confirm it - the boot shell is too big for your feet; even if you can somehow get it tight enough it's not going to fit your foot correctly, as there will be a pressure site where the buckle is deforming the shell, with the rest of it still not close enough to your foot.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So on your boots are you saying that the first 3 ratchets on your buckle do nothing at all? And you only expect the shell to even move slightly on the maximum setting? That doesn’t seem right to me.

Just to reiterate, with no foot in the boot there is zero movement when closing the buckles on the first 3 settings.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ish303, where did you buy them from?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These are questions for the boot fitter you bought the boots from not an instruction manual / internet forum…
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ish303, sounds to me like they're too big ...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@ish303, I have the Cosmos Tour, the men's version of the Celeste, bought because I have stupidly wide feet with bunions and they have a very wide fit. I usually tighten the front buckle just enough that it doesn't pop off while skiing, the boot fits perfectly without having to crank it down.
As others have said, if you don't have a wide foot then it will size up too loose at the front, maybe a custom/thicker insole will take up some of the volume?
latest report
Or maybe they're too big!
latest report
I think they're true to size though as I've got the same size I've always bought for the past 35 years.........
snow report
@KenX, No, these punters feet are just too small!
snow report
Ok, I can see everyone is immediately jumping to the too big conclusion, however everything about the fit is fine, the only thing I find odd is there is a buckle that is effectively redundant in terms of any kind of actual tightness (note here it’s not that it tightens and I need more) until the max setting. Every pair of boots I’ve ever encountered the buckle can go from a tiny bit of tightness, to ridiculously tight. As stated the buckle does NOT contact the boot at ALL until the 3rd setting.

So let me ask a different question, ignore the fit, has anyone removed the cable, trimmed it and refitted it to this type of system before?
snow conditions
@ish303, as others have suggested why not ask the bootfitter that you bought the boots from?

Likely you bought then online as you have ignored any questions related to where you got them from. If so why not contact the manufacturer and ask the question of this is normal. Or a manufacturing error

My guess is that with a foot inside the boot of the volume the boot is designed for, the picture would be very different. Your pictures are all of the boot with no foot in it.

Also if the boot is the right size as you say, why would you care at all about this? All that buckle is doing is closing the flap so you don’t get wet feet. If it closes enough for that when you are wearing the boot I don’t see the issue.
ski holidays
You can get different length clips for the buckle end of the setup (the bit you've circled in the 2nd pic), so that would resoleve your problem providing they pop out easy enough, done it on lots of boots
snow report
By clips I mean the black u-shaped bit, it's springy and should pop out of 2 holes in the part which turns
snow report
zikomo wrote:
@ish303, as others have suggested why not ask the bootfitter that you bought the boots from?

Likely you bought then online as you have ignored any questions related to where you got them from. If so why not contact the manufacturer and ask the question of this is normal. Or a manufacturing error

My guess is that with a foot inside the boot of the volume the boot is designed for, the picture would be very different. Your pictures are all of the boot with no foot in it.

Also if the boot is the right size as you say, why would you care at all about this? All that buckle is doing is closing the flap so you don’t get wet feet. If it closes enough for that when you are wearing the boot I don’t see the issue.

You mean the single question asking where we got them from?
I have in fact emailed Scott, but thought I would try the pool of knowledge on snowheads.
And yes, bought them online after trying on many boots and listening to recommendations and based on numerous past boots of similar ilk, similar size, and same manufacturer.

The issue is a matter of preference for perfection, they can and most likely will, be ski’d as is with the buckle just about done up as there is no need to clamp them down any further. The desire is to have the “just about done up” in the middle of the range of adjustment rather than the extreme of adjustment.

@KenX thanks for the useful suggestions, will have a look and see if it’s worth doing that. Basically it’s almost exactly as you describe your boots, very wide forefoot needing the high volume of this boot, hence it being recommended and chosen, this is a big improvement on the old boots and the fit is as you describe, just needs to be done enough not to open.
snow report
@ish303, tbh, if @CEM thinks they're too big ... they're too big. C is the Titan of boot fitting gods. Seriously. He's probably had children with swans.
latest report
No, sorry, that was Zeus, wasn't it? who was not a Titan Puzzled
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@ish303, tbh, if @CEM thinks they're too big ... they're too big. C is the Titan of boot fitting gods. Seriously. He's probably had children with swans.

being honest i have no idea if they are too big or not, but as i said, if the buckle is on its tightest setting and only just making contact then it would suggest they at least have too much volume, when the liner pack down (which they will) then what can you do, thicker socks, 2 pairs, maybe 3
latest report
@CEM, but, but ... the swans?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy