Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Journalist enquiry about skiing trips being affected by lack of snow

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
Actually the Telegraph has done a good informative piece

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/snow-french-alps-skiing-holidays/

From the French Alps to the US, the 10 best and worst places to ski right now

And these are the sub-headings

Which resorts are worst affected?
Which resorts still have good snow cover?
What’s the short-term forecast?
What’s the long-term forecast?
Can I get a refund if I cancel my booking?
What else is there to do in badly hit resorts?

So some good research and the best article I've read, but hey I'm biased Laughing

One of my favourite things about Les Arc is looking south, on a good day you can see Corsica.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tough crowd...

@admin Perhaps your greatest ever marketing opportunity is staring you in the face.

Invite poor Joe on the next Bash and show him we're not all cunts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How refreshing to have someone being clear about their motive in the title, instead of buffoons like @Stanton pretending to be a ski enthusiast whilst he sits bored in his taxi in Zurich trolling
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@sean1967, Laughing ...and it has a fantastic beach.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam wrote:
Actually the Telegraph has done a good informative piece

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/snow-french-alps-skiing-holidays/

From the French Alps to the US, the 10 best and worst places to ski right now

And these are the sub-headings

Which resorts are worst affected?
Which resorts still have good snow cover?
What’s the short-term forecast?
What’s the long-term forecast?
Can I get a refund if I cancel my booking?
What else is there to do in badly hit resorts?

So some good research and the best article I've read, but hey I'm biased Laughing

Grandvalira is advertising 10cm on lower slopes and 35cm on upper but hasn’t made this list. There’s still plenty of less than perfect skiing though!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He could easily have asked for feedback without letting on that he was only going to use the horror stories.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
He could easily have asked for feedback without letting on that he was only going to use the horror stories.

Inews - exactly the type of news media the posters here read! Learn not to poo-poo on your own doorstep
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry, @Gored, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's gone....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Daily Mail

'Trendy North London woke snowflakes getting away from their leftie friends ruining our lives with their Corbynist strikes are distraught at finding their expensive holidays spoilt by the complete absence of any snow this year. Fiona, an ICU nurse who abandoned her patients and went skiing - sorry, on strike - said that it was "all the fault of the EU's tree-hugging environmental rules."'

The Guardian

'Fat cat bankers and financier chums of ex-Goldman Rishi! Sunak have had their winter breaks severely curtailed this year due to global warming and its effect on almost eliminating Alpine snowfall. Some experts are warning of forest fires. Skier and LBGTXQ+ campaigner Isis Foraminifera said that thanks to a decade of under-investment by the government, weather forecasting was so under-resourced that no one had received advance warning.'

and so on ...... It'll be interesting to see what direction the article takes.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 6-01-23 0:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Sorry, @Gored, I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Ditto. I need my pills.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LaForet, much better than my narratives. Chapeau
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LaForet, excellent Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joe Duggan wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a reporter for the i newspaper. I hope you are well. I'm trying to speak to people whose skiing holidays have been affected by the lack of snow. If anyone did wish to talk to me you can drop me an email on joe.duggan@inews.co.uk.

Thanks very much.

All the best.

Joe

Are you going to write an article when it buckets down with snow in a couple of days as well?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Joe Duggan wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm a reporter for the i newspaper. I hope you are well. I'm trying to speak to people whose skiing holidays have been affected by the lack of snow. If anyone did wish to talk to me you can drop me an email on joe.duggan@inews.co.uk.

Thanks very much.

All the best.

Joe

I'm based in NZ, where it's also tragic at the moment. No snow below about 3,000m and only then on shady aspects. All the ski areas have closed down, and all staff let go. Machinery is locked away in sheds, and not much change on the near term horizon.

It's currently 31 degrees under a cloudless sky. No chance of skiing at all. A lot of local skiers are cutting their losses and heading to Japan or North America to get a fix.
ski holidays
Matt's take on the lack of snow in ski resorts..... Madeye-Smiley

https://twitter.com/MattCartoonist/status/1610692750642483207?t=haR9azS_1r_Qsd37pkBCnQ&s=19
latest report
Blocked inews ages ago from my news feed, so much nonsense from them.
snow conditions
Bad news for skiers,( positive spin for year round hikers)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-64190150

Good news for British skiing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-64176020
ski holidays
@LaForet, you forgot about their £1.2m house in leafy (insert town or county name)
latest report
@ster, classic bbc scare story - pictures of a swiss resort struggling for snow. Its at 1250m.......
snow report
@GreenDay, ha, indeed it is.

I thought you would actually be picking me up on the British skiing comment to correct me by saying its Scottish! wink
latest report
ster wrote:
@GreenDay, ha, indeed it is.

I thought you would actually be picking me up on the British skiing comment to correct me by saying its Scottish! wink

That doesnt bother me, the more the merrier Very Happy

Just dont go to Cairngorm, its not open yet !
ski holidays
Where I was 3 of the 4 areas were closed, the 4th was reduced & over subscribed by far too many skiers BUT it didn’t spoil my holiday.
There is more to do than just skiing in the mountains
snow report
For the snowheads still in The Nile

snow report
So the slimy OP has bunked off without a further word - now there's a surprise! rolling eyes Sums up the British media; just a bunch of scumbags preying on the great unwashed.
latest report
@jellylegs, why the name calling and personal attack on the OP?

He stated his request politely and made his intentions clear.
latest report
@jellylegs, ....er....not quite right...yes, there was the phone tapping scandal and undue pursuit of individuals....BUT....first, I am not a journalist, I am a researcher; second, I work with a lot of national journalists and they are people of high integrity and reputation; thirdly, they hold government and business and individuals to account - Private Eye under Hislop does a brilliant job at rooting out corruption and hypocrisy...the Press are not called the 'Fourth Estate' for nothing - without a free press, most of the liberties we hold dear would be under threat....
snow report
@snowdave, precisely...and I responded to him with respect and the information which he requested....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
For the snowheads still in The Nile

Much skiing expected on the Nile delta? Skiing and visiting wonders of the ancient world, what a holiday combination.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@jellylegs, ....er....not quite right...yes, there was the phone tapping scandal and undue pursuit of individuals....BUT....first, I am not a journalist, I am a researcher; second, I work with a lot of national journalists and they are people of high integrity and reputation; thirdly, they hold government and business and individuals to account - Private Eye under Hislop does a brilliant job at rooting out corruption and hypocrisy...the Press are not called the 'Fourth Estate' for nothing - without a free press, most of the liberties we hold dear would be under threat....

The press spend most of their time these days trying to scare people to death. It's all attention grabbing clickbait.
snow conditions
Quote:

The press spend most of their time these days trying to scare people to death. It's all attention grabbing clickbait

No it's not. You're clearly reading the wrong newspapers, Mcaff. Most of us aren't nearly scared enough about quite a lot of things, including climate change.

His approach was a little unsubtle, @jellylegs, but as @snowdave said your comments are totally uncalled for.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The press spend most of their time these days trying to scare people to death. It's all attention grabbing clickbait

No it's not. You're clearly reading the wrong newspapers, Mcaff. Most of us aren't nearly scared enough about quite a lot of things, including climate change.

His approach was a little unsubtle, @jellylegs, but as @snowdave said your comments are totally uncalled for.

I wasn't even thinking of the papers! You only have to switch on the BBC or open the news app. The neuroticism around things such as 'climate change' are faintly ridiculous. It was only a few months ago we were going to get nuked by the Russians, have blackouts sending us back to the 70's, everyone down the food bank due to financial Armageddon, and that's all after the scarefest that was COVID... (The govt behavioural bods specifically used fear, it's documented)
snow report
Quote:

I wasn't even thinking of the papers!

Somehow I'd guessed you don't read newspapers.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't even thinking of the papers!

Somehow I'd guessed you don't read newspapers.

Are there any that actually report anything semi-balanced?
snow report
Mcaff wrote:
everyone down the food bank due to financial Armageddon

Oh right, so all the demand for food banks has gone away and isn't still rising? I obviously don't read the right news sources. 60,000 packages handed out in 2016 - 2,500,000 last year. Or do you regard all these food bank users as 'neuoritc'?
latest report
@LaForet I don't think you understand the point I am making.
snow conditions
Does anybody? Cool
ski holidays
Have an enjoyable evening either way!
ski holidays
Back in the day, I worked with a "number" of top Fleet Street Editors*, I was on the commercial side, but Noon every day I went through the next days paper with "them", and then a not too often occurrence was getting rung up at 06:00 or there abouts as a big story hit in "our time" being Evening Standard, such as John Lenon and then having to go through the dummy that I had to take home every night (before digital) to make a call on the revised layout with the news editor.
In my time I saw a lot of goings on and witnessed shite that are now the stuff of Fleet Street folk stories.**

People trying to make a name for themselves as a journo would resort to tactics such as what the OP has done, but on the whole they might get published, but the subs would see through it, and that would be their short career in Fleet Street.

Now a days there seems to be less gravitas in the online world, than in the print, in that the subs are not so rigourous.

It's very much a case of what you pay for, in that the the likes of the Times and Telegraph, have better editorial standards, though one might not agree with their politics, Vs the free Fleet Street, as it were.

* 30 years, of which last 10 @ senior level

**The antics we got up to derail Capn Bob and his London rag Laughing
snow report
Why are people arguing with someone who only has a 25 post history
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy