Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots Lifespan ?

Poster: A snowHead
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@James the Last, I only need my buckles on the first latch for toe and forefoot, ankle and shin on second latch even after the liners had packed down, I could ski with them on first latch top to bottom if I wanted to.
If you have to do them up really tight then they are too big IMO

Same here. I'll often start the day with the top 2 buckles on the loosest setting, and tighten after a run or two as my foot gets used to things. Was in the snowdome yesterday, first time boots on for 10 months, and they took some getting on to start with! Might be cos I'm heavier as well...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
195062 wrote:
I expect I have longer-surviving boots than most here - they date back to the late 1990s... Always stored out of daylight, and still seem to be ok (using them in Les Arcs this week),

Famous last words! Boot decided that today was the day it didn't want to do this any more. Caught an edge, and in the process of coming out of the binding the front bit of the boot snapped off. Cue a bit of a walk to Transarc mid-station, bubble down and two buses to get back to base in 1950. No doubt structural integrity was already compromised by age; now will be looking for a bright, shiny new pair!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
endoman wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@James the Last, I only need my buckles on the first latch for toe and forefoot, ankle and shin on second latch even after the liners had packed down, I could ski with them on first latch top to bottom if I wanted to.
If you have to do them up really tight then they are too big IMO

Same here. I'll often start the day with the top 2 buckles on the loosest setting, and tighten after a run or two as my foot gets used to things. Was in the snowdome yesterday, first time boots on for 10 months, and they took some getting on to start with! Might be cos I'm heavier as well...

I can easily ski to the bottom with the top 2 latches completely undone, so not sure your comment adds or proves much. No idea why you would think that the latch point used has anything to do with how well the boots fit. Boot fit is more determined by ankle hold and foot volume - it is entirely possible that a boot will be an excellent fit even though the last latch is used on the upper two buckles (if, say, the skier had narrow calves). Seriously interested in why you think anything more than the second latch would mean the boot was too big.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is 'the boot thread' please?

I have the toe and forefoot buckles absolutely as tight as possible on these new boots. On my old boots they were finger tight; any more and I would get pins and needles. The heel fits snugly and doesn't move; and the two leg buckles are perfectly normal.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@James the Last, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20110&start=1240

Bottom two buckles should be finger tight i.e., no need to force, just one finger push down. If the heel is snug and doesn't move with top two buckles normal but you feel the bottom two have to be forced then it seems odd to me. Sorry if teaching you to suck eggs. Anyway the thread above is a sticky for advice on buying ski boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
My alpine boots are from 1999, a lot of ski days since then. Still look ok, still a pig to get my feet into they are so tight.

One of the boot makers had an article about boot life, depends on the plastics and they gave an example of a plastic they use that lasts 10-12 years then breaks down.

Beats mine by a year. One has to look out for cracks. Other than that, they are still great. But it's true that there are big differences in materials used.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tristero wrote:

Beats mine by a year. One has to look out for cracks. Other than that, they are still great. But it's true that there are big differences in materials used.

I had a new pair of shells for my Salomon Equipe 9, which were 1998 vintage, the last set of new shells I had. ( i purchased 2 pairs from a shop back in early 2000's and had squirrelled them away at the back of the cupboard) So autumn 2021 got them out and stuck the custom liners in them from the old ones, warmed them up slightly with a boot heater as impossible to get on otherwise, got them on, flexed forward and they just creaked and cracked!!! Then realised the heels were just crumbling as you touched them. Never exposed to odd temperatures or UV, just old plastic.............

these are them.... just a picture...good as a plant pot!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125204614740
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You might have seen I have replaced my boots and footbeds just recently on another thread.

Replaced 2015 K2 Pinnacle 110s with ~200 days usage with a set of Head Formula X boots. Both custom fitted with new footbeds in the new boots.

After a week’s skiing in the new boots the change in fit and comfort is a revelation. No pain at all, comfortable when tightened (only loosely fastened until get to the top of 1st lift and feet have cooled down).

I tighten to 1/4 front, 2/4 mid boot, 3/6 on the top two buckles.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Zorrac wrote:
Tristero wrote:

I had a new pair of shells for my Salomon Equipe 9, which were 1998 vintage, the last set of new shells I had. ( i purchased 2 pairs from a shop back in early 2000's and had squirrelled them away at the back of the cupboard) So autumn 2021 got them out and stuck the custom liners in them from the old ones, warmed them up slightly with a boot heater as impossible to get on otherwise, got them on, flexed forward and they just creaked and cracked!!! Then realised the heels were just crumbling as you touched them. Never exposed to odd temperatures or UV, just old plastic.............

these are them.... just a picture...good as a plant pot!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125204614740

Thanks for sharing this story!

My wife had Salomons dating from '93, I guess. Those broke during our first trip with the kids after a longer hiatus at easter '14. The material had become very brittle by then. I've witnessed this with other Salomon boots. My 2000s Tecnica Icons are still going strong. Especially the shell material seems to be much tougher. Maybe I'm wrong, but this might have something to do with the fact that this model got a paintjob - there happens to be some metallic effect and a kind of clear coating. In any case, back in the day Tecnica had good reason to be vigilant about the longevity of their product, as the predecessor was very prone to cracking - the infamous TNT Explosion! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I changed my boots to Atomic last season - fitted in a ski shop in La Plagne. My previous boots were Nordica and were approx 12 years old and had been used for maybe 144+ days. Reason for the change was the liners just didn't feel like they were offering me the right foot support anymore - new boots made a big difference for me and allowed me to push my skiing on.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
After a week in the new boots I have to admit that I should have changed sooner.
Not claiming I skied any better but much better fit. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thing to check is how tight the boot fits to the ski, I was struggling to get an edge on steeper slightly icy slopes when others seemed to have no problem.
I put my boot (about 20+ yrs old) into the binding on the bench & found that the boot could lean freely from side to side by about 10' without the ski moving rolling eyes
I tried hired boots, which still wobbled in the bindings despite there being no sign of looseness or wear on the bindings, so I tried hired skis, which were a big improvement.
At this point, the liners on those old boots started to fall apart.
I went to EB at Castleford to see what they had in the sale but came out with fully heat moulded Salomons that are a revelation in just how badly, all my previous boots fitted, they are also nice & tight in my old skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've a 10 year old pair of Salomon Mission RS which I adore....but I think the sole plates are probably brown bread and potentially lethal now.
I've found replacement parts online...should I change the plates and keep the boots or bin them off??

The thought of changing them gives me the fear...but sometimes you just gotta let go.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dazman, how much are the plates? Any other issues? How many weeks have they done in the 10 years?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the above replies, as they're 10 years old, they've had a good innings and you will be grateful for the new pair.
snow conditions
I hope mine last a while longer. I have tricky feet and my boots have been heavily modified so that my feet don’t lose feeling while I’m skiing. My first pair were so bad for my feet I nearly quit skiing.
ski holidays
@Layne, @Orange200, I'd say 20 weeks would be about right...(give or take 1 or 2)
latest report
dazman wrote:
@Layne, @Orange200, I'd say 20 weeks would be about right...(give or take 1 or 2)

It's not the 20 weeks it's the 10 years. Mind you replacing the sole pads is never a bad idea for binding safety. If they've not been subject to temp extremes in storage I'd probably still ski em.
snow report
dazman wrote:

Certainly coming near to end of life but as I say if the plates are quite cheap you could put them on and have a little more time.

Also depends if they feel really packed out and/or if the shells are discoloured/dull. As mentioned 10 years is a factor for degradation as well the number of skiing days. If they just feel and look knackered what's the point of new pads/plates - you are going to have to buy new soon anyway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy