Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montriond Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, on the hunt for some helpful advice for a booking that was made in a rush, pre Christmas.
We managed to secure some really cheap flights to Geneva for a ski weekend at the end of February, but finding accommodation for the weekend was a little trickier.
Eventually found a place that was listed as Morzine on Airbnb, but it turns out to be on the Rte du Lac close to the centre of Montriond.
We don't really mind that the accommodation is a bit away from the nightlife of Morzine, but we could do with some advice in relation to our ski hire.
Do we hire in Morzine and then it gives us the option to jump on the ski bus in the morning and head up towards Avoriaz - possibility to stop for a drink on the way back and back to the digs?
Or do we rent in Ardent and get the bus back to the digs in the evening?
Also, tips for nice meals - do we need to go into Morzine or are there places in Montriond? We would like to eat at La Grange on one night, so how easy/difficult is it to get a taxi?
Thanks in advance for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm afraid I can't really offer any helpful advice, but I just wanted to sound the first 'French half-term' claxon before anyone else inevitably does.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@B1g_browner, there’s a ski hire shop in Montriond, opposite the bus stop. You could rent in Morzine but I think you’d probably find yourselves walking back once or twice as the last M bus is about 1800 (from memory). As long as you can store boots at the shop then it’s not a bad walk - about 15-20 mins and very flat. If staying in Montriond I’d always go to Ardent to ski (with the proviso the M bus when we stayed there was flaky timetable-wise and isn’t on the incredibly useful bus tracking website that all the other morzine buses are - probably because it’s a Montriond bus, not a Morzine one…) - you’ll probably be quicker getting to Avoriaz that way than going into town and out again, and you’ll avoid any of the pinch points (Proclou or Tour) getting up to the ridge above Lindarets. You’re also straight into Chatel or the lifts over to Switzerland from there.

There’s three options to eat in Montriond - the Auberge du Mont Rond which is very French, not expensive and (we thought) fine. Then there’s a pizza place called Le Rocher, which we thought was excellent and then a bar/pub called le Marmotte d’Or which we didn’t go to but looks great and I wish we had!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@andy from embsay, how have you not been to Marmotte yet???
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Nadenoodlee, we didn’t find it when we stayed at the auberge for a long weekend a year or two ago and it’s a bit of a pain to get to from ours (Pied de la Plagne), so haven’t got round to it yet. I think we’ll give it a bash in the summer when we can walk via the river - there’s a new path on the Montriond side up to the road isn’t there?

It looks great though!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@andy from embsay, we usually drive there or pop in on our way up as the Epicerie next door (same owners) is usually open on a sunday/ late out of season and well stocked. Our first house was in Montriond!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@B1g_browner,

Montriond is a fab base. (I think so anyway).

Andy has most/all the info as posted.

‘M’ bus to Ardent is the way to go At start and end of days skiing.

Timetable has changed slightly this year with some of the buses going via the Montriond ‘back road.

Yep, ski hire shop in Montriond or up at Ardent….. or maybe try All Mountain rental who will drop off and collect your ski hire kit at your accom.

Marmotte d’Or is a fab pub/tabac with nice atmosphere and good food.

The Auberge was fab last time I ate there but it was a number of years ago now.

There is also a pizza restaurant in Montriond too (or there was the last time I was there).

‘M’ bus does finish quite early in the evening.

Me and my Mrs don’t mind the flat walk home if we have been to Morzine late in the evening.

It’s only approx 20min flat walk from Morzine tourist office to Montriond. Not too much for me and the Mrs when we have Air BnB’d in Montriond.

It might be 25 min but has never bothered us.

If you want to pre arrange cabs try getaways in resort cab service. (Not available on a Saturday as busy doing transfers)

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 3-01-23 19:25; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
https://getawayvans.com/in-resort-cab-service/

https://www.morzine-avoriaz.com/medias/documents/documentation/documentation-CCHCBUS-FR.pdf

https://www.allmountainrental.com/

And ski hire shop up at Ardent right next to Ardent telecabin

https://www.skimium.co.uk/ski-hire/montriond-morzine/lac-et-montagne
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@@247snowman, doorstep skis also do drop off/collection but last year they went to a minimum order of €250 for that service.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay,

Cheers, yeah…I’d heard about ‘doorstepski’ setting a minimum order fee.

I suppose it’s likely that AMR have a similar policy now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not long back from Montriond myself.

You can see my trip report here for some thoughts on places.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162437

You must try the Hotel du Lac for drinks and food. It was quite excellent.

The M bus was regular and easy to get to and from Ardent.

I’d rent from Ardent, but I wasn’t a big fan of the rental shop we used. There was another one by the lift station however.

We are in La grange at it was lovely. And we used Last Van Standing for a taxi back.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
According to Google it's about 2km/25min walk from the centre of Montiond to the centre of Morzine so your options would be:
1. Hire in Montiond then bus to/from Ardant. Main advantage would be if addiving in the evening you can sort out ski hire then rather than faff in the morning.
2. Bus to Ardant then hire from the shop in/next to Happy Hours. Not sure they have ski lockers though so only advantage would be easier drop-off at the end of the trip - but probably have to faff first morning to pick them up.
3. Bus into Morzine, walk across the wobbly bridge and hire skis from either Intersport (think they have lockers) or Hubert Sport (do have lockers), then Super-Morzine up. Main advantage is ability to be 'kit free' in Morzine (especially if you're willing to do a quick change into civvies in the boot room) so easy walk home after eating in Morzine. The Ardent bubble will get you to interesting skiing quicker though.

If it was me I'd probably hire in Mortriond/ski from Ardant, then home for a quick kit dump/shower and change and one of the last buses into Morzine followed by a walk home.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys for all your help, I was swaying towards going to Morzine for the Ski Hire, but its looking less likely that I will do so now.
If we intend on going out for the evening to Morzine, you think that renting ski's in Ardent would be the best shot?
Would mean we could ski back that direction before the end of the day and the get the bus back to Montriond and the walk/taxi over to Morzine?

If we are only there for a weekend trip, do you actually think we would need to leave Montriond in the evening? The places you guys listed all sound promising?

@Fridge03, did you stay in the Hotel? I actually read your review yesterday, sounded like a lovely trip bar the snow conditions.
As I'm not staying in the hotel, it would obviously be taxi to and from the hotel to eat/drink?

Throwing in another curve ball, would you guys say to rent a car? I was looking towards getting a transfer, but would like to hear opinions.
Car rental prices are through the roof, which kind of put me off.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mjit, Only seen your reply after I posted.
Pretty much the 3 options we have and option 2 was only of note to myself, because I assumed that there would be lockers at the shop next to happy hours, if there are no lockers there, it takes the advantage out of that option and leaves option 1 and 3.
Both have advantages/disadvantages, so i just need to pull the trigger and make a decision.

One point of note that I would like to add is that our flights are early Friday and late Monday, so we intend to ski all 4 days, what would be our best lift pass options and where should we pick them up from?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
B1g_browner wrote:

@Fridge03, did you stay in the Hotel? I actually read your review yesterday, sounded like a lovely trip bar the snow conditions.
As I'm not staying in the hotel, it would obviously be taxi to and from the hotel to eat/drink?

We did stay there. The bus stops just outside. And also on certain nights they do actually run a complimentary taxi service if you book dinner with them.

I can recommend the raclette night Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

@Mjit, Only seen your reply after I posted.
Pretty much the 3 options we have and option 2 was only of note to myself, because I assumed that there would be lockers at the shop next to happy hours, if there are no lockers there, it takes the advantage out of that option and leaves option 1 and 3.
Both have advantages/disadvantages, so i just need to pull the trigger and make a decision.

Book your ski hire through AMR (link up thread), delivered to and collected from your accommodation.
snow conditions
@B1g_browner,

Easiest options for me are…….

Rent skis from Ardent. Then can jump on bus in normal footware. (or door step ski)

Use the free and regular ‘M’ bus at start of the day to take you to Ardent (it’s a great access point to Avoriaz, Chatel or Les Crossets). Ardent Gondola deposits you in Les Linderets and is a great access point to the Wider PdS.

At the end of the day, finish sking in Ardent and jump on ‘M’ bus back to Montriond. (After leaving skis back at the ski hire shop).

There is a bar in Ardent called Le Cosy where you can have a chilled beer if you have just missed the free and regular ‘M’ bus to get you back to Montriond.

There is another bar in Ardent called ‘Happy hours’ it’s ok and is often frequented by seasonaires (mostly Bon a Wednesday) and can be a bit ‘lively’ at times.

Montriond has all you need for a long weekend.

2 or 3 places to eat and drink and a small supermarket too.

No need for a hire car. a transfer would probably suit you.

There is underground parking available in the centre of Montriond but I’m not sure on the parking charge.

Skiidy Gonzales offer a good fair priced, reliable shared transfer service.

Enjoy. Hope it goes well.
If you do want to venture into Morzine after skiing then surely a 2km flat walk is not beyond you or pre order the taxi from the previous link I posted.
latest report
@@247snowman, Thanks for this.
I think going with the Ardent option is the easiest as you suggest.
Been to Morzine a couple of times and to be honest, it was just familiarity that was drawing me to hiring from there again. If the hire place at Ardent has a locker, its ideal for what we need.
Appreciate your help, along with that of all of the other guys too.
I think we will go to Morzine one evening and walking to and from Morzine with a couple of warming drinks in the Belly should be manageable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy