Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cash or card?

Poster: A snowHead
@Gored,

I thought Nationwide had given up the free travel insurance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@countryman, I've just got it on a packaged account. £13 per month, or £156 per annum. My renewal quote from LV was £210, so already a saving, plus it also gives me UK and EU breakdown cover (better than my RAC that I've just cancelled which cost £240) and mobile phone insurance for the whole family.

Edit: a Nationwide package account, obvs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I once had to give it to a pisteur on a snowmobile to return me to the correct side of the hill after all the lifts had closed... oops.

Laughing Cheap at twice the price @garyyb!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the Nationwide package too - but had to pay a lot extra insurance because of being likely to drop dead at any minute. Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The retailer gets charged commission or fees on every transaction. Some (particular older contracts) can be expensive for them.
Those who only use card payments have no idea how much commission some small businesses are paying.
If the boot was on the other foot, and the customer paid the charges, there would be accusations of banks robbing customers.
Practically nobody would use cards after the first bill arrived.

Best using cash for smaller transactions as this is often beneficial to them, and could be the difference in profitability for some so that they will be there when you want to visit next year.

Plus there is another very important aspect this year, that has never been a issue before: The possibility of power outages in Europe.
It only takes an outage somewhere between you and your bank's computer and the transaction won't go through.

Best advice this year would be to carry some cash wherever you are going, just as a backup. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually use cards for all the bigger purchases, ski hire, lift pass, and restaurant meals, but almost always pay cash in bars because it's easier to leave a tip that way and you don't end up with a load of small euro change.

In Austrian ski resort bars I always leave a tip with every round of drinks bought, that way you get good service and never have to wait too long before you get served your next drinks Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
countryman wrote:
@Gored,

I thought Nationwide had given up the free travel insurance

not 100% sure, but I thought Flex account offered Free European cover for the free account- which has ended, but the Flex Plus with worldwide insurance is still going & costs £13 a month.
I travel worldwide (when I can!) & worldwide annual insurance usually costs more than the £13 a month fee for the flex plus account.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We take a mixture and ask what the bar/restaurant etc prefer, anything to help them in potentially tough times.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for bringing this up. I haven't been to the Alps since pre covid, but a recent trip to MK snowdome reminded why I like doing this so have booked week in Austria for this February for me and my snowboard.

Before when I go to the mountains I took a fist full of Euros with me and just carried enough on me for lunch/apres drinks when I'm riding and leave card and phone and anything else I could loose or break in my hotel. With the shift to card only in many places (I very very rarely use cash in the UK these days) is this still a good idea? I'm heading to Zell am zee/Salbaach-Hinterglem, are most of the mountain huts/restraurants/apres bars/supermarkets there still taking cash?
Thanks for any info
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have taken the same $92 to the US for about the last 10 years.... In Europe I have used Euro up the mountain occasionally, but it really is a rare thing for me to use cash. Always have some for cafe stops just in case.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My bank account is in euros anyway so slightly different situation.
I did have a fag pack sized wallet, with chunky coin pocket, well used. Shops here wouldn’t take cards for less than €5.
Then COVID came, shops would accept cards for any amount (at least down to €1), and wife bought me a super thin wallet that takes max 9 cards (7 better), a few notes and max 2 coins.
So now I no longer pay cash and sadly I no longer tip as I literally don’t have the cash for it.
I wonder if they’ll bring in the US system for cards, “here is your payment, would you like to add a tip?” I know they make me feel uncomfortable; electronic chugging.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have Revolut and Monzo cards. Way prefer monzo. I just top up before we go and add occasionally when needed
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm glad I asked this question as it's brought up some good points and made me check my credit card provider!

Turns out I am supposed to tell them I'm going to be using it abroad and what dates - probably to stop it flagging it up as fraud/stolen card etc. So I've just done that and had a look at the rates. Looks like I get charged 2.95% on transactions but no extra per transaction payment. So probably not too bad considering the cost of getting euros in cash. I am actually eligible for a CC that doesn't charge any commission but it is £15/month so not sure if its worth bothering when it will probably only cost me £30 if I spend £1k.

I'm off to Austria but driving so the reason I asked was because I'd suddenly realised it would be much easier paying for fuel and stop off hotels with the card.

I think I'll do as most suggest, take a bit of cash for the smaller things and emergencies but most of the time use the card.

Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@japes1275,
Might be enough time to open a Monzo account?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I remember taking some leftover $USD to eastern europe thinking they was all corrupt & only buy off the black market.
Thats hollywood for you Laughing Laughing Laughing
At least I did not change all my money into Euro's like another person did! He thought the Euro was used everywhere on mainland europe.
latest report
@Gored, or Starling. I have both but tend to use Starling as there’s no limit on free cash withdrawals abroad. Not that I ever go to the ATM any more!
snow report
Have used Nationwide credit cards with no loading for about 25 years …. a Which? recommendation. Still great rates attained in both the US and Eurozone when the bill comes in.

But have to take several €100’s in cash to Austria for the taxi transfers, some mountain restaurants when just buying a few hot drinks and also for the hotel tips box (the staff very much earn it).
ski holidays
Monzo usually can get you a card in a couple of weeks. Well worth it.
I don’t have it as a main bank account. I just transfer when needed so it’s almost like a pre pay card
snow report
@Lucywuk, Starling (sounding like an ad here - I’ve no affiliation, just a happy customer!) have a brilliant sign-up process. Take a photo of your ID, then record a short video (I think Monzo is similar), approved in a few hours max. But then the REALLY smart thing is that as soon as it’s approved they give you the debit card details so you can immediately set it up for apple/garmin pay - no need to wait for the physical card.
latest report
I'm also pleased with Starling. Used Google Pay with Starling plus cash in Serfaus last year. Always handy to carry cash in Austria but cards/contactless are way more acceptable in Austria now.
snow conditions
andy from embsay wrote:
@Lucywuk, Starling (sounding like an ad here - I’ve no affiliation, just a happy customer!) have a brilliant sign-up process. Take a photo of your ID, then record a short video (I think Monzo is similar), approved in a few hours max. But then the REALLY smart thing is that as soon as it’s approved they give you the debit card details so you can immediately set it up for apple/garmin pay - no need to wait for the physical card.

I have 2 cards with Monzo and Revolut. A third would maybe be excessive Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! and I don’t have an Apple Watch to use Apple Pay, I wear a Rolex of course Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!

(obviously I know I can use my phone, but then May as well get the card out instead!)

Actually when skiing I do wear my garmin sometimes but it’s not fancy enough to pay with Eh oh!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy