Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip review - La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
It was my wife and I's first ski holiday in 22 years, and our sons (ages 20 & 16) first ever - La Rosiere ticked all the boxes for early season and plenty of gentle blue runs.
Early flight to Geneva Christmas Eve. The queue on arrival for immigration took 45-60 minutes (not sure if that's usual - not the usual Swiss efficiency and actually worse that the wait on re-entry to the UK even with the Border Force strike). Rental car pick-up and drive to resort all smooth (2 hrs 45 mins drive). We were relieved on arrival to see that the recent monsoon hadn't left the resort completely green, and the sun was shining - indeed it did so for most of the rest of the week.
The pistes were in surprisingly good condition given everything below the resort was snow-free greenery. 6-7 degrees for the first few days and it only got cold enough to fire up the snow cannons half way through our stay, but the pisteurs were working their magic every night to ensure some great skiing all week. The upper slopes inevitably were the best, and the couple of low runs through the trees below the resort level remained closed due to the lack of snow.
The new(ish) Mont Valaisan section goes highest to 2,800m and although it had the best snow, it remained mostly quiet - partly due to being at the far end of the lift network but mostly I guess because it offers no blue runs. The pisted red run is also rather narrow so is a little intimidating for early-intermediates or brittle out-of-shape and out-of-practice stiffs like us. Didn't stop our fearless lads throwing themselves down it (and the one open black run) on their first ever ski trip - graceful it was not!
The lifts were efficient and I don't think we ever waited more than a minute or two, which I imagine is good going on Christmas week.
We took the link over to Italy only once - it was a great experience and the Bellecombe drag lift wasn't bad at all (having read reports of it being long and arduous it was actually quite nice for a tow). We didn't take the second drag but instead took a lovely blue down to the Forclaz Express lift which carried us up to the top of the La Thuille slopes. A few great runs and lovely lunch before returning to La Ros for early afternoon. Well recommended and quite novel to ski internationally in a day.
We knew to expect high prices for food & drink. 50cl draft lager was between Eur 8.5 to 11, and a burger or pizza in restaurants started at Eur 20. What surprised us was the fact the small supermarket (Sherpa) in Les Eucherts was actually quite reasonable - comparable in prices to the larger Carrefour in the main part of La Rosiere. A small case of Kronenbourg 1664 was 7 Euros, which made the bar/restaurant prices all the harder to swallow (pun intended). We bought fresh croissants and baguettes every morning and also ordered rotisserie chickens one day for collection that night (12 Euros each but not the largest bird - recommend two for a family). Take your own tea bags though - a small pack of PG tips cost more than the Kronenboug Shocked
Hotel Alparena was fantastic and surpassed our expectations. 2 bedroom self catering apartment was fabulous with 2 balconies (front and back) and amazing views, in-building ski hire shop, and ski in/out at the Eucherts lift.
The hotel's spa was stunning, and had adults-only hours (1-2pm and 7-8pm). We used it every afternoon and were often the only folk in there. The hotel's only mild downsides for us were the overly-warm room (we slept with the balcony door ajar) and the one dinner we tried in the hotel's Alpagio restaurant was disappointing.
Of the restaurants we visited, L'Ancolie was definitely our favourite. On the mountain, Paradis was great, and L'Antigel was fun for the DJ set on Thursday afternoon. To be honest we were usually back in our apartment by 9pm so can't comment much on the apres ski scene, but it certainly appeared pretty placid in Les Eucherts.
Overall a fantastic destination which we wouldn't hesitate to recommend to families and those seeking a more laid back vibe, though more advanced mile-munching skiers could find it wanting.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 2-01-23 17:53; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Take your own tea bags though

Snowheads ALWAYS take their own tea bags everywhere. wink

Great report - sounds like you struck lucky. La Ros has developed a lot since we went there, yonks ago, with Ski Olympic.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tea bags and a sharp knive.

We went to la rosière last year and thought it expensive compared to our usual haunt les arcs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Halitosis, good TR - were your boys complete beginners?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great report. We're seriously considering La Ros (and Hotel Alparena) based on recommendations on my own thread. This gives us lots to consider. Particularly the cost of beer in resort.

+1 for taking your own teabags. My PG Tips went in a sandwich bag to Austria last week. I forgot them on a weekend trip to Munich in November. It's sad times when you can't start the day with a decent cup of tea.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Layne wrote:
@Halitosis, good TR - were your boys complete beginners?

Their first experience on snow at least - they had a few lessons on dry slopes and a couple of sessions in an indoor slope over the years. Its amazing to see youngsters' fearlessness - and I've learned to accept being overtaken by 5 year olds Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Halitosis wrote:
It was my wife and I's first ski holiday in 22 years, and our sons (ages 20 & 16) first ever - La Rosiere ticked all the boxes for early season and plenty of gentle blue runs.
Early flight to Geneva Christmas Eve. The queue on arrival for immigration took 45-60 minutes (not sure if that's usual - not the usual Swiss efficiency and actually worse that the wait on re-entry to the UK even with the Border Force strike). Rental car pick-up and drive to resort all smooth (2 hrs 45 mins drive). We were relieved on arrival to see that the recent monsoon hadn't left the resort completely green, and the sun was shining - indeed it did so for most of the rest of the week.
The pistes were in surprisingly good condition given everything below the resort was snow-free greenery. 6-7 degrees for the first few days and it only got cold enough to fire up the snow cannons half way through our stay, but the pisteurs were working their magic every night to ensure some great skiing all week. The upper slopes inevitably were the best, and the couple of low runs through the trees below the resort level remained closed due to the lack of snow.
The new(ish) Mont Valaisan section goes highest to 2,800m and although it had the best snow, it remained mostly quiet - partly due to being at the far end of the lift network but mostly I guess because it offers no blue runs. The pisted red run is also rather narrow so is a little intimidating for early-intermediates or brittle out-of-shape and out-of-practice stiffs like us. Didn't stop our fearless lads throwing themselves down it (and the one open black run) on their first ever ski trip - graceful it was not!
The lifts were efficient and I don't think we ever waited more than a minute or two, which I imagine is good going on Christmas week.
We took the link over to Italy only once - it was a great experience and the Bellecombe drag lift wasn't bad at all (having read reports of it being long and arduous it was actually quite nice for a tow). We didn't take the second drag but instead took a lovely blue down to the Forclaz Express lift which carried us up to the top of the La Thuille slopes. A few great runs and lovely lunch before returning to La Ros for early afternoon. Well recommended and quite novel to ski internationally in a day.
We knew to expect high prices for food & drink. 50cl draft lager was between Eur 8.5 to 11, and a burger or pizza in restaurants started at Eur 20. What surprised us was the fact the small supermarket (Sherpa) in Les Eucherts was actually quite reasonable - comparable in prices to the larger Carrefour in the main part of La Rosiere. A small case of Kronenbourg 1664 was 7 Euros, which made the bar/restaurant prices all the harder to swallow (pun intended). We bought fresh croissants and baguettes every morning and also ordered rotisserie chickens one day for collection that night (12 Euros each but not the largest bird - recommend two for a family). Take your own tea bags though - a small pack of PG tips cost more than the Kronenboug Shocked
Hotel Alparena was fantastic and surpassed our expectations. 2 bedroom self catering apartment was fabulous with 2 balconies (front and back) and amazing views, in-building ski hire shop, and ski in/out at the Eucherts lift.
The hotel's spa was stunning, and had adults-only hours (1-2pm and 7-8pm). We used it every afternoon and were often the only folk in there. The hotel's only mild downsides for us were the overly-warm room (we slept with the balcony door ajar) and the one dinner we tried in the hotel's Alpagio restaurant was disappointing.
Of the restaurants we visited, L'Ancolie was definitely our favourite. On the mountain, Paradis was great, and L'Antigel was fun for the DJ set on Thursday afternoon. To be honest we were usually back in our apartment by 9pm so can't comment much on the apres ski scene, but it certainly appeared pretty placid in Les Eucherts.
Overall a fantastic destination which we wouldn't hesitate to recommend to families and those seeking a more laid back vibe, though more advanced mile-munching skiers could find it wanting.

Thanks for this review. We’re going to La Rosiere next week and also staying at Alparena in a two bed apartment and can’t wait! Quick question, do the apartments have a proper oven or is it just hobs and a microwave? Trying to plan some food we can take out to avoid cooking from scratch on the first night!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Halitosis, Thank you for the trip report. We stayed in Les Eurcherts around a decade (at Xmas) or so ago and it was our first ski holiday for a few years. Our 3 sons were then 20 - 24 and good skiers. We found that La Rosiere was a great resort to get our 'ski legs' back and a lovely place for a family holiday (we also had an 80 something relative with us). The 'vibe' sounds somewhat the same as it was back then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@qpwoeiruty, we have been to Alparena twice I think there was a proper fan oven and a separate microwave. Also a good size fridge and a separate wine fridge! Have a great holiday!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Excellent report.
Quote:

The queue on arrival for immigration took 45-60 minutes (not sure if that's usual

It is very common.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, always take your own tea bags - Yorkshire Tea FTW!

We pick up a case of beer and then replenish as necessary, even if catered!! Even a beer or two out on the slopes or in bars is acceptable if you average out the price!! Wink

There's enough skiing if you head over to La Thuile once or twice during a trip.

When we were catered we had enough 'bits' to tide us over, e.g. pepper mill, small amount of salt, curry powder, chilli powder and then buy the rest. Plus Porridge!! Think it's about having a balance Smile

Evolution 2 has a legend of a ski instructor there - well certainly the last time we went. Jean Luc. The two eldest boys in our group did some amazing things in their lessons.

First night, we usually grab pizzas for the oven.. You'll need to scan and re-scan the apartment details and photos you have plus possibly online reviews etc.. It's a bit of a detective job but most places seem to have a small oven, hob and microwave.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

The queue on arrival for immigration took 45-60 minutes [at Geneva]

Just for info - Last Sunday (5th March) we had landed, passed through Passport control/immigration (very efficient system) and picked up our luggage all within 60minutes!

So Swiss efficiency was back to it's best
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Halitosis, where was the 11 beer, out of interest?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I flew in and out of Gva in October the passport queue both ways was very long and tedious. Gatwick was a breeze!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@qpwoeiruty, so sorry - hadn't logged in for a wee while. Yes indeed a very good fan oven and many other excellent fixtures and fittings!
@Dr John, I'm trying to recall now (its been a few months) but I recall being surprised it wasn't actually a bar up on the hill but rather down in the town - likely in one of the restaurants as that was where I purchased most of my beers.

Amusingly, on our drive to resort we stopped at a Lidl and loaded up with food and drink (as you do). Our oldest has a Saturday job at Lidl back in the UK and happened to have his staff discount card with him - which they were happy to accept!
ski holidays
Halitosis wrote:
@qpwoeiruty, so sorry - hadn't logged in for a wee while. Yes indeed a very good fan oven and many other excellent fixtures and fittings!
@Dr John, I'm trying to recall now (its been a few months) but I recall being surprised it wasn't actually a bar up on the hill but rather down in the town - likely in one of the restaurants as that was where I purchased most of my beers.

Amusingly, on our drive to resort we stopped at a Lidl and loaded up with food and drink (as you do). Our oldest has a Saturday job at Lidl back in the UK and happened to have his staff discount card with him - which they were happy to accept!

Thanks!

We’re here now and Alparena is excellent. I thought it would be pretty good but it’s massively surpassed all expectations and we never want to leave!
ski holidays
Mont Valaisan lift has opened up some seriously good advanced off-piste too, especially off the back (though perhaps needing a guide for that).
ski holidays
@qpwoeiruty, Glad you are having a good time. Alparena is definitely one of my favourite ski residences and I've been to a lot of high end self catering places in France.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy