Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz 2022-23

Poster: A snowHead
Season runs opening from December 17, 2022 to May 1, 2023

https://en.laclusaz.com/

Currently their website says 90cm snow at 2500m, 50cm at 1800m and 0 in the village at 1040m

Anyone been out there recently and can comment on the snow conditions?

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 0 tells you all you need to know. The 50cm will be man made. With 10C at 1500 meters it will seem like you are already at the 1st of May. (Yes I have been skiing over the weekend, but not in la Clusaz).

https://app.webcam-hd.com/la-clusaz/massif-etale
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got a soft spot for La Clusaz so i've been looking at their webcams over the last week. Top of Balme looks fine. Mid station grim. Village level horrendous.

Swerve it until they get some fresh stuff.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeycharlton wrote:
Got a soft spot for La Clusaz so i've been looking at their webcams over the last week. Top of Balme looks fine.

They got 2cm of fresh over the weekend at the very top of the pistes. It was like the 4 seasons in one descent according to reports: winter, spring, autumn, summer.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, Not sure if you've been before but it's a only weekends worth at best in good conditions unless you're a beginner

Swerve now, as others have said
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Not sure if you've been before but it's a only weekends worth at best in good conditions unless you're a beginner

Puzzled Lots of people, most of them French, can happily spend a week in La Clusaz. But yes, not a great destination right now. I've never skied there, but fairly often driven through. There's often little or snow at resort level but conditions now, like in many places around, are exceptionally poor.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
@kitenski, Not sure if you've been before but it's a only weekends worth at best in good conditions unless you're a beginner

Yeah, beginners like Candide. One day that guy will maybe learn how to ski...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Under "normal" conditions (if there is such a thing nowadays...), there's definitely enough of an area to keep you busy for a week: it is not huge, but it is split over many mountains giving a good sense of travelling around.

However, when snow is poor like now, you are basically restricted to the top half of Balme which does get repetitive... and busy.

I've been to the area quite often until the early 2010s (used to have family in Thônes down the road): snow is often not great, especially on the front face above the village (WNW aspect isn't great for snow...), but I've never seen anything like what I see on the webcams, except perhaps at Easter in the 90s! Same for neighboring le Grand Bornand.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So in summary nobody has been there recently, and it’s too small a resort for Candide and he should move. Classic snowheads Eh oh!

And yes I’ve been before and looking for 4 weeks ahead…
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
So in summary nobody has been there recently, and it’s too small a resort for Candide and he should move. Classic snowheads Eh oh!

And yes I’ve been before and looking for 4 weeks ahead…

Sorry then why ask for today then?

No point having a rant at people who are trying to give you some idea what conditionsa are like today but there is no miracle. Things are utterly dire in below 2000 meters across the NW French Alps but you can see that in the webcams.

Or look at what is open https://www.laclusaz.com/live-pistes.html

With current temps they can't even run the snowmaking. Hottest 1st Jan on record in France yesterday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski I think you're being a bit harsh. People are only trying to help, albeit with the usual drift. And I think it's a fair point re switching - there are a number of threads this year from people who are doing exactly that. So if it's feasible for you, it's worth mentioning now. If not, then the only consolation is that a lot can change in four weeks - you didn't originally mention when you were going, if at all, so perhaps missed picking up someone who is about to go out to do a TR for you.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 2-01-23 12:17; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
red 27 wrote:

Coming in hot with a spicy 1st snowheads post Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Happy to help on this! I've been here the last couple of weeks. Conditions are pretty poor at the moment but hopefully next weeks forecast is right which should get conditions back to winter rather than summer. Candide is still here and even he has been out despite not a lot of snow.... if kitenski is a kiter and skier I've got a wing out here you can have a go with Eh oh!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LC74! wrote:
if kitenski is a kiter and skier I've got a wing out here you can have a go with Eh oh!

I think he skis with his baby cat.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timmycb5 wrote:
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
red 27 wrote:

Coming in hot with a spicy 1st snowheads post Laughing

Yeah, usually hangout on TGR so it's the natural reaction Eh oh! But finding this site a better source for Europe and I have an upcoming France trip, so following along.
snow conditions
And, to be fair, anyone who suggests that nobody but a beginner could enjoy La Clusaz for longer than a weekend is asking to be flamed.
snow report
pam w wrote:
And, to be fair, anyone who suggests that nobody but a beginner could enjoy La Clusaz for longer than a weekend is asking to be flamed.

obviously if you live in a ski resort you'll have a different view point to a visitor. The Brits are known for loving high mileage and never skiing the same piste twice in a week.
A racer may spend every Saturday and Wednesday going down the same run
A freerider may find little runs that give him or her pleasure that wouldn't necessarily be on the map of the Tourist skier. My son and I skied a tiny resort of a few kms dozens of times because we explored all the side country, there was always something new to do or see but we would generally only spend a couple of hours skiing... okay you'd need walking boots to go there this season.
snow conditions
Mmmmm major ski-test going on there in circa three and a bit weeks which we're going to, must check the dates again and see what date I ordered the snow for Laughing
snow report
We fly out Thursday for our first trip in 9 years. It looked so promising a couple of weeks ago. We'll make the most of it and enjoy the company come what may.
ski holidays
@Nunfa1, if the skiing does not deliver up to expectations, visiting Annecy for the day is definitely worth it if you have never been. It is a straightforward trip by bus (takes about 1 hour) if you are not renting a car.
snow conditions
@LC74!, cheers I was indeed a kite surfer but never used a wing!

@Weathercam, if you dig out the dates can you share them please?
snow report
@kitenski, 23rd - 27th January - it's the SIGB Test - though you do have to register in advance, and only open to retailers, media and professionals, so if you're a good blagger then you might get in Laughing

Though can't promise, but might be able to add you to our team!

https://stylealtitude.com/ski-touring-the-percentage-game.html

https://stylealtitude.com/a-year-on-in-the-ski-touring-world-review.html

https://stylealtitude.com/ski-test-results.html
ski holidays
@Weathercam, cheers, I arrive a few days after the end unfortunately! At the moment just got flights booked so will be watching the weather and reading from people in resort with interest! Sounds like it’ll be a good few days
snow conditions
I'm going to the SIGB test, hoping that next week's snowfall is the beginning of something a lot bigger.

Never skied La Clusaz before so I am excited to see a new place.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, what do they class as a professional? Can I rock up with a L2 instructor badge and have a go?
snow conditions
Hey, heading out to La Clusaz in early Feb and just have a quick question.

I've been trying to work out from the piste map how high the majority of the skiing is. It seems to go as low as 1000m, but I assume the snow that low is never particularly reliable. Basically, if there's a lot of snow with freezing level at or around 1300/1400/1500m are we in for a good time on most runs, or will half the runs be shut because it's raining on them instead? Thanks!
snow conditions
@alicolthurst, if you have a look at OpenSnowMap, you'll be able to see the runs laid onto a topographic map with contours, which will tell you the height everything is at.

The lower runs are more likely to have snowmaking so should be open by early Feb even if natural snow is scarce.
snow report
@denfinella thanks for that, never used that website before it's great! For anyone else reading, the runs mostly seem to be above 1300/1400m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was at La Clusaz yesterday up at La Balme and pleased to report great conditions in the top half - decent amount of fresh powder making both piste and off piste very fun, and a beautiful day! Snow-makers on all day on the lower half and the ski-out, resulting in lots of texture changes and slidey ice patches by the end of the day.. honestly it was harder to tackle the beginner run back to the car park than anything red / black / off piste up top. Lower half of the main resort (used to get back to the car, didn't venture up high as we stayed in La Balme all day) still in poor condition - thin, grass poking through, icy. But if you're happy and comfortable up at La Balme then conditions are pretty good! Especially considering the dire state of low altitude resorts in the Alps a week ago.
snow report
We are planning La Clusaz for Feb half term. Does anyone have insight on the ski schools operating there? Our 7 & 9 year olds have done 3 x half term weeks in Italy. Ski school was fantastic but we're now looking for a change. Our 7 year old daughter can be reluctant some days and was previously able to spend afternoons at kids club in our hotel but we'll be staying in an apartment this time. Do any of the ski schools have 'non ski' club facilities for afternoons for those not wanting a full day? Any feedback appreciated!
ski holidays
Welcome to Snowheads @georgedotcom. I don't know the La Clusaz ski schools but in fairly-near Les Saisies the French ski schools (ESF and ESI) ran kids classes both mornings and afternoons, but no "club" activities for the other half of the day. Do you mean your daughter was reluctant to ski with you, or reluctant to go to ski school? Most of our family's kids were generally quite keen to ski a bit with parents etc in the afternoons, but not always to have long sessions. They never seemed to be too tired to go toboganning though.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads @georgedotcom. I don't know the La Clusaz ski schools but in fairly-near Les Saisies the French ski schools (ESF and ESI) ran kids classes both mornings and afternoons, but no "club" activities for the other half of the day. Do you mean your daughter was reluctant to ski with you, or reluctant to go to ski school? Most of our family's kids were generally quite keen to ski a bit with parents etc in the afternoons, but not always to have long sessions. They never seemed to be too tired to go toboganning though.

Hi Pam, thanks for quick reply. There is the same ESF and ESI ski schools in La Clusaz so I'll take a look at them. My daughter was more keen to ski with us than with ski school. Some days she refused to ski and instead spent day at the hotel kids club. Hopefully she will be fine this year but keen to know if any of the schools offer activities additional to skiing
snow report
I think after a bit many kids prefer to ski with family than with ski school - except when they get to the "ado" classes where instructors do all sorts of fun stuff with them, skiing off piste and through the trees etc, when parents can seem very boring and stodgy!

It's difficult when kids are really reluctant. No point trying to force them, and risk putting them off the whole enterprise, but I'm not above bribery (or incentivisation, to use a more positive word). "We won't force you to ski if you don't want to, but the alternative is to stay in the apartment with one of us and read your book. The rest of us will be going for hot chocolate after skiing".
ski holidays
I took the same approach to food. "You absolutely DON'T have to eat your lunch, but there's nothing else......"
ski holidays
Evo 2 are good for kids too. I don't think there are any kids clubs here apart from for very little ones. The ski schools do offer snow shoeing/sledging/yoonering/torch lit decents etc although a lot of that is at the end of the day. The swimming pool is good for kids but don't think they do any classes. Hope it all goes well.
latest report
Looking at the app this morning there seems to only be 50% of pistes open even at altitude with a large number closed.

We will be flying out Friday for a very long weekend anyone local know what the plan is atm are they just waiting to prep new runs with the runs that are open and opening more daily or is the snow really thin in areas?

Also what the chance l'envers will be open by the weekend
snow report
@Ghostlybadge, it's very windy and snowing heavily, I suspect once pistes have been prepped and the storm(s) pass more will open.
snow conditions
Yeah, they are wizzards. We stayed in Chinallion for a week over NY and i honestly don't know how they managed to keep the runs open. We had a great time none the less and managed to get at least half a day's Skiing/Snowboarding every day we were there. They were spreading snow over the main runs like the last bit of butter from the tub.

They'll have a field day with this dump. Fingers crossed, we'll see the majority of the runs open over the next week.

Heading back for a week over half term. Can't wait!
snow report
@Ghostlybadge, they are opening L'Etale and the rest of Beauregard tomorrow so you should be good to ski back on Envers. This weekend is looking like it will be good. It's snowed non stop since Sunday and forecast to carry on tonight and tomorrow ....Candide still doesn't seem to be bored here as he over took me straight lining an off piste tree run today Eh oh! Les Encarnes for anyone that has done it.
latest report
Hopefully setting itself up nicely for the ski-test next week. We arrive Monday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy