Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc 1600 Newbie - advice please on Ski Hire & lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

I've just booked for the famil (me, wife and 12/15 year-old) Les Arc 1600 (La Cachette) Hope it's good, looks good... And looking to get some advice on whether it s best to get the ski hire at Snow Pro 3 Bows
Funicular Arcs 1600 - 73700 Arcs 1600 - Bourg St Maurice - I presume this is the closest?

Also, am I best to book our hire further up, and just get the lift to 1800 or 2000 so we can easily walk to the lift from the hotel and go up to 1800/2000 - I suspect there won't be any point to stick around 1600 as the snow/conditions might be better further up?

Any other info, would be greatly appreciated! thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1800 and 2000 arent above 1600 directly so you need to take a lift up(or two lifts) and ski over to either, not possible on foot.
You can catch a free bus round to either 2000 or 1800 but i'd say better to hire in 1600 just incase you have any issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hire in 1600. We have stayed at La Cachette. Pretty sure we hired in Skiset which is the closest. We actually left our skis there as it was between the hotel and the lift. (Max 100m between all three)
Also height doesn’t matter sometimes. When we were in 1600 there was too much snow in 1950/2000 and people couldn’t leave their buildings, we had great skiing in 1600 and across to 1800 and Villandry.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Imm not sure I fully understand the query.

From the cachette walk out of the boot room up a few steps and you are on your first lift of the day, the combette. If you wanted to go to 1800 you would need to walk all the way to the bus stop and take the navette to the Jardin du alpes lift and starts skiing from there. You will have to take your skis and boots with you on the bus with you as there are no storage facilities at the lift. It will take over half an hour to get there by bus and walking. It would be much quicker to use the combettes and cachette lifts and ski across.

Though a navette does link 2000 and 1600. It takes even longer. More skiers use it to come around from 2000 to 1600 than vice versa, especially when the weather is bad and the 2000 bowl is closed.

Incidently 1800 is not much higher, perhaps 70m, than 1600. Its main advantage for novice skiers is that the slopes are much gentler. There is a lot of good skiing in arc 1600 and it holds its snow as well as 1800 and vallandry.

Personally I would rent skis from the intersport just next to the cachette hotel, but there are other ski hire shops in the village.

Please excuse my shaky typing . I'm typing from the back of the car as we drive back from arc1600. I know the village well. If you have any more questions then please ask.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lucywuk wrote:
Hire in 1600. We have stayed at La Cachette. Pretty sure we hired in Skiset which is the closest. We actually left our skis there as it was between the hotel and the lift. (Max 100m between all three)
Also height doesn’t matter sometimes. When we were in 1600 there was too much snow in 1950/2000 and people couldn’t leave their buildings, we had great skiing in 1600 and across to 1800 and Villandry.

When staying at La Cachette, i used the Intersport Shop next to the Sherpa and very close by (IIRC out the door and Right) - not for hiring, but servicing. Found them good and helpful.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thecount, I've rented from both Snow Pro 3 Bows (online through Skimium...extra 5% discount with Decathlon membership number) and Intersport. They were both good. I'd definitely rent from 1600 for convenience.

Stayed at La Cachette a few times. Well located, rooms a little dated but more than adequate for a ski holiday. A higher floor with views away from the slopes towards the valley is my recommendation, if you can choose. Food used to be excellent under previous owners. I think Belambra group took it over. Their hotels tend to be family friendly and OK on food but nothing special.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PeakyB, the cachette has been completely refurbished this year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PeakyB wrote:
@thecount, I've rented from both Snow Pro 3 Bows (online through Skimium...extra 5% discount with Decathlon membership number) and Intersport. They were both good. I'd definitely rent from 1600 for convenience.

Stayed at La Cachette a few times. Well located, rooms a little dated but more than adequate for a ski holiday. A higher floor with views away from the slopes towards the valley is my recommendation if you can choose. Food used to be excellent under previous owners. I think Belambra group took it over. Their hotels tend to be family-friendly and OK on food but nothing special.

Thanks, looks like they have been refurbed, so hope to get something good. and thanks, yes I noticed all the discounts on Skimium - just need to compare to skiset... and maybe the other one
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnE wrote:
Imm not sure I fully understand the query.

From the cachette walk out of the boot room up a few steps and you are on your first lift of the day, the combette. If you wanted to go to 1800 you would need to walk all the way to the bus stop and take the navette to the Jardin du alpes lift and starts skiing from there. You will have to take your skis and boots with you on the bus with you as there are no storage facilities at the lift. It will take over half an hour to get there by bus and walking. It would be much quicker to use the combettes and cachette lifts and ski across.

Though a navette does link 2000 and 1600. It takes even longer. More skiers use it to come around from 2000 to 1600 than vice versa, especially when the weather is bad and the 2000 bowl is closed.

Incidently 1800 is not much higher, perhaps 70m, than 1600. Its main advantage for novice skiers is that the slopes are much gentler. There is a lot of good skiing in arc 1600 and it holds its snow as well as 1800 and vallandry.

Personally I would rent skis from the intersport just next to the cachette hotel, but there are other ski hire shops in the village.

Please excuse my shaky typing . I'm typing from the back of the car as we drive back from arc1600. I know the village well. If you have any more questions then please ask.

Thanks and hope you had a great time. How are the slopes atm?

I've heard 1600 is small but that's fine. To be honest, we're half board at La Cachette so won't need to venture to eat in the evenings with the family - probably just walk out I imagine.

lots of discounts on Skimium but will check the others out. Guessing Skimium isn't too far for us?

Also, just looked at how expensive the airport transfer is, cheapest so far is €600 for return for the 4 of us - is that about the right price for a Geneva transfer?

Sorry one more question.. wink so we're only going weds to sunday so only 4 days skiing. Kids are 12 & 15 - any advice what with the current slow/snow etc to get a good amount of skiing and not wasting time going anywhere we don't need to waste our days on? We're all intermediate skiers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PeakyB wrote:

Stayed at La Cachette a few times. Well located, rooms a little dated but more than adequate for a ski holiday. A higher floor with views away from the slopes towards the valley is my recommendation, if you can choose. Food used to be excellent under previous owners. I think Belambra group took it over. Their hotels tend to be family friendly and OK on food but nothing special.

The Food was OK (prior to the recent referb) - as long as you are not Vegan. They made no effort when I was there with my Daughter, who is Vegan. They claim to make every effort if notified - which they were, both directly through their Website and via the Crystal Booking.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TBH might have been intersport we hired from. And we always preferred walking to the Cachette lift not the Combette. So it was whichever hire shop was nearest that lift and used them to store hire boots and skis. Since it was their own kit it was easy.
Loved 1600 and went by train so there was no transfer. Funicular straight from bourg. Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucywuk wrote:
TBH might have been intersport we hired from. And we always preferred walking to the Cachette lift not the Combette. So it was whichever hire shop was nearest that lift and used them to store hire boots and skis. Since it was their own kit it was easy.
Loved 1600 and went by train so there was no transfer. Funicular straight from bourg. Puzzled

By train? We fly into Geneva so is there a train? Thought you had to transfer from the airport to to get to the train station? How would that work?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lucywuk wrote:

I think you probably turned left out of the hotel and used Skiset Pierre Blanche (closer to the Cachette Lift). Intersport is on the right as you exit (beside the Sherpa supermarket) and is closer to the Combettes lift (up the steps).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@thecount, we had a lovely time and you can find my comments under the les arcs thread on the snow and crowds conditions .

Skimium are in the square about 100m from the hotel.

£600 does appear very steep for the transfer. There are of course trains from Geneva airport to bourg st Maurice. I used it just as the pandemic was starting. IIRC it was about £50 each return, but it does take quite a few hours. Your best bet is probably to rent a car and drive.

I’ll write some ideas about where to ski tomorrow. It has taken us 15 hours to drive home and I want to go to bed now Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
@thecount, we had a lovely time and you can find my comments under the les arcs thread on the snow and crowds conditions .

Skimium are in the square about 100m from the hotel.

£600 does appear very steep for the transfer. There are of course trains from Geneva airport to bourg st Maurice. I used it just as the pandemic was starting. IIRC it was about £50 each return, but it does take quite a few hours. Your best bet is probably to rent a car and drive.

I’ll write some ideas about where to ski tomorrow. It has taken us 15 hours to drive home and I want to go to bed now Very Happy

Thanks, sounds like a long day!
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

I think you probably turned left out of the hotel and used Skiset Pierre Blanche (closer to the Cachette Lift). Intersport is on the right as you exit (beside the Sherpa supermarket) and is closer to the Combettes lift (up the steps).

Yes that’s the one!! We turned left, skiset in the square and up to Cachette. Preferred that lift tbh as it was up and away whereas combettes you then skied down to Cachette. Hence using skiset as a boot/ski storage.
ski holidays
@thecount, Please find below an extract from an article I wrote for our club magazine on Arc 1600 (http://midlandski.uk/news/2021-08.pdf). It will give you some idea os he pistes and where to ski - Sorry the photos don't come out.

Arc 1600 was perhaps the first of the purpose-built ski resorts and this is reflected in the architecture of the village: car free, inexpensive apartments, careful design of the buildings to blend in with the environment yet acknowledging that it is purpose built and sitting 1600m up a hillside. The design has won architecture awards and has the French equivalent of protected status. 1600 is the smallest of the Les Arcs complex and is very compact and convenient. Due to its position the views across the Isère valley to Mont Blanc or indeed down to the town of Bourg St Maurice are wonderful. A favourite place of mine is sitting outside the Cairn restaurant having a beer admiring the view at sunset or looking from the apartment window as the rising sun catches the top of Mont Blanc.

Talking about views, a short walk from 1600 is another village hidden in the trees, Courbaton, which has its own interesting history (see http://grangedalice.blogspot.com/2013/ for more details). Apparently, there were artillery batteries stationed there facing across the valley to the Petit St. Bernard pass to protect against the potential of invasion from Italy during both the first and second world wars. Courbaton was the epicentre of Les Arcs skiing before Arc1600 was built with lifts and pistes coming and going. Now it is a very quiet backwater.

The main problem with 1600 is there is nothing to do in the resort but eat, drink, sleep and ski. If you want other activities you have to get the bus around to 1800 for a swimming pool, sauna, tobogganing etc or the funicular down to Bourg St. Maurice for shopping, cinema and a proper municipal swimming pool.

But this an article for a ski club, not an article for an architectural appreciation society, so what’s the skiing like? In a word good, but only if you like your skiing a tad on the steep side. Les Arcs 1600 likes to pride itself on being good for families but in reality, that is about the resort rather than the skiing. A few years ago when we were there with a group of friends, some of whom were beginners, the ski school recommended that they took the bus to Arc 1800 where the slopes are more gentle. The picture below shows the Les Arcs Ski Club returning to the village down the red Cachette piste, the main run back from 1800. It tends to be a bit firm and an exciting ski if your edges are not very sharp.

The blue Mont Blanc piste (the only piste I’ve been blood wagoned off) is 24 degrees in places. Degrees not percent. One look down the huge moguls of the red Clair Blanc piste convinces most red run skiers that perhaps they should go round. I do that often as well out of consideration of my ski bases and the rock band at the top. Then again with fresh snow on Christmas day it is one of the best runs in the world.

The steepness and the fact that 1600 is at the corner of the resort means that the pistes are usually quiet. Sometimes very quiet. If you like carving at speed then Clocheret or Cachette give fantastic fast runs which even New Year week are almost always empty.

For the newcomer to Arc 1600 I have a couple of recommended runs:
For me the trip starts at the bottom of the Combettes piste – the beginner run in the resort. From the top of the chair lift the very pleasant blue run takes you down to the bottom of the Cachette chair lift – or you can spend some time regaining your ski legs doing a couple of circuits. At the top of the chair a tiny drag lift leads to what in many resorts would be a green run (Les Arcs has no green classification). Few people ever go there, but after a dump of snow the powder, often thigh deep, remains for days. On the old piste maps the top of the drag is also the top of the Stade de Slalom. The piste is now overgrown and not marked but worth trying if you are the adventurist type. Just turn right at the top and head down.

The top of the Cachette lift has a number of runs – the fast blast down the Cachette piste itself (see picture above). The tree lined Les Arolles; a red piste with some steepish bits and the opportunity for diving into the forest for some near piste exploration. However, on the first ski of the day I ski down to the slow Clocheret lift to the col between the 1600 and 2000 valleys to take the fast Clocheret piste. I worry that the lift may be decommissioned at some point in the future. It has very few customers. You may or may not meet other people on this piste. Later I may take Le Secret down to Pre St. Esprit and the lift up to 2000, but at the start of the trip Clocheret has better snow and is more fun. At the bottom you can either continue back to 1600 or turn left to the Arpette restaurant and the rest of Les Arcs. For those who like off piste skiing you can turn off the top of the piste to the right where there is a large snow bowl.

The top of the Cachette lift also gives rise to the only remaining black run in the 1600 sector, Rouelles. It is not very steep and in fact used to be a red. In good condition it gives a very nice run into the resort, but like almost all blacks in Les Arcs it is never bashed and gets some decent moguls. Late in the season it can also have the odd plaque de terre. Malgovert has now been reclassified as a black.

The other big lift leaving Arc 1600 is the Mont Blanc lift, the top of which first of all connects to the rest of Les Arcs via the top of the Cachette lift but also give the long blue Mont Blanc piste. Apart from the steep (for a blue) and narrow top section it gives one of the best intermediate pistes anywhere. It is a brilliant run to do top to bottom, non-stop, practicing your carving technique. There is also the potential to add to the interest by either heading straight off down through the trees to the left of the Les Deux Têtes rock formation or doing the now unmarked Les Deux Têtes black piste immediately after the rocks. This is steep even for a black. There is also a huge range of possibilities through the tree following now discontinued pistes. Sadly, a look at an old piste map of Les Arcs shows that many pistes have been abandoned. There even used to be a piste all the way down to Bourg st. Maurice. You can still find the route in places, but in other places the pistes have been reclaimed by the forest.

Two runs that are in the Arc 1600 sector but are actually reached from 2000 deserve honourable mention: Comborcière and Malgovert. Comborcière was described in a guide to snowboarding in the Alpes as 2km of hell. It is one long mogul field that my son tries to do non stop in under 5 minutes. In my view it is a nicer run than the red Secret piste beside it – if you like moguls that is. Malgovert is another run you either love or hate. It used to be marked as red, but now is black. It is never pisted and consists of narrow chutes, bumps and blind turns. Excellent for those with fast feet and fast brains but a nightmare for others. We would often see “crag fast” barely red run skiers stuck on it terrified. Of course you can turn off it into the Malgovert forest for some tree skiing down to the Mont Blanc piste, but beware the little stream gets to become a deep gorge further down and can be a pain to get back across.

I’ll often spend the whole of my first day in the resort on just the local runs. With the exception of the runs off the Aiguille Rouge most of the really good skiing is on the Arc 1600, 1800, Vallandry side of the resort. The crowds are on the 2000 side.

There is a skier park in Arc 1600 which those who know about these things think is quite good – I have no idea, but there is another fun activity- the water splash just above the Altiport bar. This is a 15m or so long water tank about half a metre deep. You hit it at speed, lift the tip of your skis up and water ski across. Well, I don’t. I watch the involuntary swimming from the terrace of the bar. There is a picture of one of our club members on the internet, somewhere, less confident than my son James (left) who stripped down to his boots only. Decency prevents me from including this picture.
One tip I can make is when returning to the resort the quietest and easiest piste is to turn off the Arpette piste shortly after the Arpette restaurant and take Gollet back to 1600. This run is rarely done and it is where James, our son, takes us to try and improve our skiing.

Arc 1600 may be the backwater of the Les Arcs ski area, but it is certainly not without merit. It is compact, easy to get to (there are even direct trains to Bourg St Maurice from London, the funicular from the train station takes you straight to 1600), the locals are friendly and the skiing is pretty good.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 2-01-23 16:38; edited 4 times in total
snow report
@johnE, that’s an excellent description of that part of Les Arcs.
ski holidays
@johnE thank you so much, loads of amazing advice there to read on the flight...
snow conditions
sorry I don't know how to @ mention you @johnE on here
snow report
@thecount, click on @johnE’s name in the left column (where it appears with “Freerider” his post count snd date of post) . His name will then appear in the reply box where you type, type yr message and he should get an alert you have used his name.
ski holidays
thanks @ster, didn't realise that! and thanks @johnE, !
latest report
@PeakyB, @Lucywuk, La Cachette have just said they have a "Private Ski Shop" in the hotel? Is this not just Skiset just below? Just trying to get the best price and for convenience the closest... Skimium so far looks a lot cheaper than the others? Doesn't look that far from La Cachette ether>?
snow report
Tbh the maps look wrong. Intersport is come out and turn right. Skiset is in the ‘main’ square. Tiny central area. I usually use Skiset as it’s cheap but used both
latest report
@Lucywuk, do you think Skimium is accurate on that Map? is it far from the hotel? I guess we can just leave our gear in the hotel
snow conditions
@johnE, brilliant description of the sector.

Reminds me of setting off to ski down to Bourg St Maurice, must be 25 years ago, maybe 30, after a good couple of snowy days.

Got to within about 2 or 300 metres before taking skis off. It was rubbish. Laughing
snow report
@thecount, personally I’d email the hotel and ask about their ‘ski shop’ and equipment storage.

mailto:
reservation@lacachette-lesarcs.com

Last time I was there, about 4 years ago, the former ski storage room was closed. We stored our equipment in the rental shop each evening.

The Skimium rental shop is about 5 mins walk from the hotel, along a usually snowy but fairly level path.
ski holidays
@PeakyB, thanks for this. So just so I'm clear, Intersport is literally right next right - guess Skiset too?? Skimium is a walk 5 mins away? On the map it shows another Intersport next to Skimium too? Is that right?

Untitled-3
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thecount wrote:
@PeakyB, thanks for this. So just so I'm clear, Intersport is literally right next right - guess Skiset too?? Skimium is a walk 5 mins away? On the map it shows another Intersport next to Skimium too? Is that right?

Untitled-3

There are 2 Intersport shops. The one I used is almost beside La Cachette (on the right as you exit). The other one I think, is left out of La Cachette and at the other end of Arc 1600 (which isn't very far - 8 min walk).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 2-01-23 16:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Old Fartbag, thanks for confirmation.
snow conditions
If you look at the street view for Arc 1600 https://en.lesarcs.com/street-view-arc-1600 you can see the entrace to the hotel. Skimium is actually situated at the place where the pizzeria in the square is. The pizzeria closed and the rental shop replaced it. It is next to the lift pass office about 100m from the hotel entrance.

Check what nights the l'Abru (formally known as the l'Abruvoir) has live music on. The band they had on last week was very good.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, thanks, Guessing its the Galerie Commerciale - Immeuble La Cachette Eh oh! not the other Residence Lagrange?

https://www.intersport-rent.fr/fr/stations-ski/tarentaise/les-arcs/les-arcs-arc-1600
snow report
Sounds spot on to me. The furthest Intersport (turn left out of hotel) is close to Funicular top station.

You’d pass Skimium shop part way there.

Local tip. Take care if skiing right back almost to hotel door. Down a very short steepish bit, next to steps, which ends where the ski storage room used to be. Saw a couple of people over egg it and smash straight into one of the floor to ceiling windows. Shocked
snow conditions
@PeakyB, thanks for the tip! Sounds like a scene from Mr Bean?
ski holidays
@thecount, Laughing yes, my role model.
latest report
And this is the Skiset one https://www.skiset.co.uk/ski-resort/arc-1600/shops/skiset-pierre-blanche

But go with the best value, and if they can store your kit, they are all pretty much steps from the lift
latest report
@johnE, I digress…but if you’re a Midland Ski Club man, are you of mature enough years to have used the rope tow lift that used to be set up on Adam’s Hill, Clent, above The Fountain pub?
I reckon about 1990 since I last enjoyed that.
snow report
@PeakyB, Sorry I only used it once on the Likey hill in Cofton park. Just recently we found both the original and a copy we made using IIRC a Villiers stationary engine.
snow report
@johnE, Wow!
Happy days before global warming had too much impact.
Unhappy ski gloves on the rope though Smile
latest report
Actually it wasn’t great. The motor would stall if too much load was applied to it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy