Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia to Zermatt link closed today (1st Jan) not weather - any ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Currently in Cervinia and was looking forward to a day over in Zermatt today.
The Theodul link (Cervinia to Zermatt) has been closed since we arrived, not sure why as the other direction is open.
So we planned to use the Plateau Rosa access, but all the signs on the Italian side and the Cervinia app were showing everting closed on the Zermatt side. The forecast was for light or no wind on yr.no for the Klein Matterhorn, so I assumed it was a holiday closure.
I asked in the Cervinia gondola station (the one to Plain Maison) about a refund for the international component for the day, but she said it was weather. When I showed her the Cervinia app showing all the Zermatt lifts, not just those for the link, were showing closed, she showed me her screen with most of them open.
Of course, no refund was forthcoming, but what was going on? It clearly wasn’t weather - are the Italians just trying to keep more business on their side - would also explain the Theodul pass link closure.
Any ideas?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why didn't you go up to Testa Grigia/Plateau Rosa and have a look?

You'd be able to see if the Klein Matterhorn lift was running from there.

The new lift is a lot more stable in wind being a 3 cable lift.

Maybe they were anticipating bad weather later, so didn't want loads to go over and get stranded??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
See this post by @JohnMo
on the Zermatt thread:

This sounds grim.

Quote:
Starting today, Thursday, December 29, 2022, increasing winds from the westerly to southwesterly direction are to be expected. Wind peaks will reach over 80 km/h between Friday, December 30, 2022 and Monday, January 02, 2023.

For this reason, restrictions on rail and slope operations are to be expected. This will mainly affect the glacier area. It must be assumed that the connection to Cervinia cannot be used until Monday, January 02, 2023 due to the strong winds.

We ask guests to inform themselves about the respective situation before starting their skiing day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@OTS, link is here
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5057579#5057579
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We could see the Klein Matterhorn gondola running, from the top of Seggiovia Lago Guillet lift, but with all Italian resources showing that the link was closed, I didn’t fancy risking it.
As per my post there was no indication of deteriorating weather incoming.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mmm just seen the other post. I think the meteorologists have got it wrong Eh oh!Eh oh!

Better that than a €1,000 taxi ride though Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And thanks @DCG for the link
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@OTS, so you were mistrusting local professionals (in a very complex meteorological area), and spending precious holidaytime in some high alpine cablecarstation to try to get your money back and after that you went for virtual advice at this anonymous internet-forum.

Oh dear. Happy NewYear!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Langerzug, Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Langerzug oh dear rolling eyes
Of course I trusted them; if I hadn’t I would have gone across anyway. I can be as much a knob as the next person, but I’m not stupid enough to ignore official guidance. I was just trying to understand if there were any other factors at play.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Closed again today and again weather forecasts only showing light winds for the relevant areas - Klein Matterhorngletscher and Plateau Rosa.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've only been to Cervinia once, but we had several days where lifts were closed (on days that weren't windy at all in other resorts), and it put me off returning to what is a cracking ski area.

The upper lifts seem to get really affected by wind, so any kind of light breeze in the resort normally meant some strong winds up top. However as soon as you got over to Zermatt the wind completely disappeared.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like Cervinia based on a visit last year, but really unless the wind forecast is totally benign allowing for local factors, I’d give the international pass a swerve and just pay the supplement to the local pass on a daily basis if the links do open.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To put this in context, this is my 9th trip to Cervinia. Wind stopped play Christmas/NY 18/19, but other than that we’ve never had problems with the link. The fact that the Theodul Pass link doesn’t appear to have been opened at all this season just makes me wonder if there are other considerations.
No matter though as we’ve had a good couple of days on the Valtournenche slopes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@OTS, the Theodul Pass link wasn't open last week in the few days we could access Cervinia from Zermatt's side. It was smth before 16:00, I had to ski down as fast as I could to Plan Maison and take the cable cars up to Testa Grigia.
snow conditions
@OTS: Is the link back open today? I am buying ski passes for next week, but do not want to buy the Zermatt + Cervinia pass if I cannot get to Cervinia.
snow report
I’m back home now. The link did reopen late morning yesterday. But next time I go, I’m going to buy Italian only passes and upgrade if/when I want a day on the Swiss side.
ski holidays
@OTS i've been going since 2006 and the wind is not something I would typically be concerned about, at least later in the season. think the link has been closed on 4 days and 2 of those were in a short jan '18 trip. they only close the link due to winds when its properly windy.
latest report
Kj82 wrote:
they only close the link due to winds when its properly windy.

This is my experience as well - except for the past week, when it hadn’t been ‘properly windy’ or even forecast to be, but the link was still closed.

No where did I put my tin hat wink
snow conditions
OTS wrote:
Kj82 wrote:

This is my experience as well - except for the past week, when it hadn’t been ‘properly windy’ or even forecast to be, but the link was still closed.

Now where did I put my tin hat wink
ski holidays
OTS wrote:
OTS wrote:
Kj82 wrote:

Now where did I put my tin hat wink

It's possible to edit your post to change "No" to "Now"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy