Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid December 2023 - Austria

Poster: A snowHead
With the delight of school holiday dates allowing another Pre-Christmas week next season. I jumped on Lufthansa flights to Munich as soon release leg was released.

I am tempted by Saalbach-Hinterglemm as never been there. How has it been this season?

Where else should I be looking. Keen to keep transfer at under 3hrs if we can. Was also tempted by Kitzbuhel? Agaib not been there.

Due to being A-level year. We won't be doing Easter in 2024.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in Kirchberg now and even with the warm blast through Europe the skiing is plenty and fun(zero off piste at the minute though), Kitzbühel is a lovely town with plenty to do on and off the snow.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Change at Munich to Air Dolomiti to get to Innsbruck. Then take your pick from the resorts within one hour. I went to Gurgl and stopped by Solden on the way back. Even had time for the Christmas market in Innsbruck before the flight out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Base yourself in Zell am See, then you have kaprun glacier option if snow isn't great, and a link to Saalbach ski circus as well.

And the option of a train link from Munich Airport.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, we also had three very well placed inset days and a set of flights rolled over from COVID times to use up. Flew in to Munich, hired a car and spent a week in Maria Alm as we've had a few day trips there whilst staying in Zell or Hinterglemm and really enjoyed it. Decent amount of skiing, extremely pretty (with the Hochkonig towering above) and close to other big areas for a couple of trips out with the Super ski pass. Leogang is about 15 mins drive, Saalbach and Zell within 30 mins.

The place was almost empty as it was the opening week and everyone else was saving themselves for Christmas and New Year, so it felt like everything was open just for us! This was such a change from half term that we would jump at doing it again if the stars aligned... Also, accommodation was about two-thirds of what we normally pay and we bagged a nice apartment just across the road from the main lift.

The drive from Munich was fine both ways and took around 3 hours. As noted from our upcoming half term trip, Soll is one of the closest villages to Munich and has a decent amount of skiing, plus Kitzbuhel is just around the corner. Again, both areas on the Superski Pass.

Even with the slightly warm start to the season, there was snow in the villages and the snow making ensured that the base was good.

I think that whichever village you choose in the region that week you will be spoilt. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, I’ve been in Saalbach since 11th December. I have no complaints about the quantity or quality of the skiing, especially after seeing some of the news reports about France.
Saalbach has extensive snowmaking and exemplary piste maintenance, which generally enables it to start its ski season at the beginning of December and to be fully up and running, with all links and valley pistes open by mid-December. This season has been no exception.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tatmanstours, thanks. Good to know.
The snow making though only works if cold enough and it is exceedingly mild for tjme of year in a lot of places (including UK was 12 degrees at 7am when we went to the gym!)

We were in Flaine for same dates and was wonderful for iur first day. However early hours of morning when we left it was chucking it dowb with rain. So we were exceptionally lucky!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Despite this warm December, Schladming was brilliant during that week, just one run closed I think.

Dead quiet slopes, never saw a queue.

So good, we've booked Dec 23 already.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snow&skifan, nice! Lots of places O have looked at aren't giving prices / dates for Dec 23. Can you share who you have booked with?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We just left Austria. One week in Hochfügen with more skiing within easy driving distance. We had almost every piste open, not much off piste though (not that it bothered me at all). Snow was rather packed with a top layer in the morning with that in humps by the end of the day.
We ski the same place both December and feb every year so have already booked our rooms for next year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@MouseInLux, I'll be in hochfugen Feb half term. hopefully there'll be some snow between now and then and the frreriding will be in play
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NickyJ wrote:
@Snow&skifan, nice! Lots of places O have looked at aren't giving prices / dates for Dec 23. Can you share who you have booked with?

We travel independently. Contact hotels and they’re often taking reservations now. This has been a recent change …. a couple of years back and before, they’d only entertain these conversations in May at the earliest.

Can you accept private messages here for the hotel name? What hotel budget do you have in mind?

[The reservation is firm on their part, but you can pull out later, a low-ish sum is required at the contract stage in May].
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mother hucker wrote:
@MouseInLux, I'll be in hochfugen Feb half term. hopefully there'll be some snow between now and then and the frreriding will be in play

Normally the snow is lower in December and when we get back for Feb the snow has really accumulated. It’s really obvious in the parking! Here’s hoping for good snow in Feb!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow&skifan wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

We travel independently. Contact hotels and they’re often taking reservations now. This has been a recent change …. a couple of years back and before, they’d only entertain these conversations in May at the earliest.

Can you accept private messages here for the hotel name? What hotel budget do you have in mind?

[The reservation is firm on their part, but you can pull out later, a low-ish sum is required at the contract stage in May].

Yes please message me it. If you click on the plus next to my name, then you will get a PM button
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, you not considered ischgl?
snow report
@NickyJ,
Quote:

tempted by Saalbach-Hinterglemm as never been there. How has it been this season?

Nicky -we were there 11-18 Dec this year & the skiing was fab: great snow, and still finding fresh tracks at the end of the week

Been going to S.H pre-xmas for many years and never had a bad one. Even the low snowfall season starts were good as they have 100% cannon cover and the slopes are generally grassy pastures so don't need much depth. The poor snow years were also good as it kept a lot of the punters away so was much quieter
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:

Ýes but with google maps putting it at 3hr 18mins drive and so many other closer places, wanted insights to what else was on offer and what peoples experiences are.

Very conscious that height isnt everything .... the place we have skied which had the deepest snow was the lowest height of 890m.

snow report
@geoffers, thanks so much! Good to know. The issue this season has been how mild it id everywhere. Snow canons arent any good if it is 10 degrees!
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
@NickyJ,
Quote:

tempted by Saalbach-Hinterglemm as never been there. How has it been this season?

Nicky -we were there 11-18 Dec this year & the skiing was fab: great snow, and still finding fresh tracks at the end of the week.....

Forgot to mention that the mountain restaurants are worth making the visit for, if nothing else Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geoffers wrote:
geoffers wrote:
@NickyJ,
Quote:

Nicky -we were there 11-18 Dec this year & the skiing was fab: great snow, and still finding fresh tracks at the end of the week.....

Forgot to mention that the mountain restaurants are worth making the visit for, if nothing else Toofy Grin

Nice Smile
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@geoffers, thanks so much! Good to know. The issue this season has been how mild it ids everywhere. Snow canons arent any good if it is 10 degrees!
yes - always a gamble booking early, but we had temps of -16°C pre-Xmas so the snow was fab

Currently in LaPlagne with temps of +10 but still having a ball - just like spring skiing, and still able to ski to the village in Champagny at 1,250m snowHead
snow report
@NickyJ, currently there are 67 lifts and 93 pistes open in Saalbach. It’s sunny, and the air temperature at village level is 3C. Unfortunately I can’t give a firsthand report on the skiing, as I have that coughing bug that’s doing the rounds, but it looks good through my window - frustratingly so!
ski holidays
tatmanstours wrote:
@NickyJ, I’ve been in Saalbach since 11th December. I have no complaints about the quantity or quality of the skiing, especially after seeing some of the news reports about France.
Saalbach has extensive snowmaking and exemplary piste maintenance, which generally enables it to start its ski season at the beginning of December and to be fully up and running, with all links and valley pistes open by mid-December. This season has been no exception.

Hi all, I am arriving in Saalbach - Hinterglemm on Saturday and I have seen reports of sketchy conditions with the complaint that it's too warm so light rain falling, or if temp drops too low it's freezing over. Is your advice to ski higher to get the best conditions? With no snow forecasted this week it always makes me worry, having looked forwards to this for so long, and with it being my only trip this year, obviously I want to make the very best of conditions.
Thanks in advance
Russ
ski holidays
@Russ, see my previous response to NickyJ above.
Conditions depend on so many things: time of the season, time of day, orientation of pistes, extent of snowmaking, amount of traffic…
At the moment it’s unpredictable. Some friends were telling me yesterday that they were surprised to have really enjoyed piste 2a, which is low down and notorious for everything from ice to slushy moguls. Going high may not be the simple answer that it might be later in the season, when the sun has gained some strength. At this time of the season many of the lower slopes are in the shade for much of the day, whereas upper slopes are more exposed.
I can’t say much more, as I’ve been stuck indoors for several days with a man flu bug. But my view from the window overlooks the little nursery slope and the Schattberg Nord black run beyond, and it all looks perfectly fine. But I haven’t seen the other side of the valley. The web cams will of course give you a limited picture.
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Ýes but with google maps putting it at 3hr 18mins drive and so many other closer places, wanted insights to what else was on offer and what peoples experiences are.

Very conscious that height isnt everything .... the place we have skied which had the deepest snow was the lowest height of 890m.

ischgl has one of the longest seasons in the Alps, Height isnt everything if comparing France to Österreich but comparing Ischgl to Skiwelt it means quite a lot, plus Ischgl has a lot of north facing. Personally I don't grumble over an additional couple of hours transfer times, it's a tiny % of total trip time, but everyone is different and has a different outlook on it all. I always hire a car at the airport if flying or drive from the UK though which may make some difference with my thought process
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, yep if it is going to make a big difference we can do it. It is my eldsst and hubby that have set the distance limit. We will almost certainly be hiring a car as well.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@Russ, see my previous response to NickyJ above.
Conditions depend on so many things: time of the season, time of day, orientation of pistes, extent of snowmaking, amount of traffic…
At the moment it’s unpredictable. Some friends were telling me yesterday that they were surprised to have really enjoyed piste 2a, which is low down and notorious for everything from ice to slushy moguls. Going high may not be the simple answer that it might be later in the season, when the sun has gained some strength. At this time of the season many of the lower slopes are in the shade for much of the day, whereas upper slopes are more exposed.
I can’t say much more, as I’ve been stuck indoors for several days with a man flu bug. But my view from the window overlooks the little nursery slope and the Schattberg Nord black run beyond, and it all looks perfectly fine. But I haven’t seen the other side of the valley. The web cams will of course give you a limited picture.

Thank you @tatmanstours, I understand this to all be valid and we will simply have to assess when we are there, I hope that the small amount of snow forecasted today will be delivered, and next Mondays predicted dump comes as hoped, if not a little prior to then, as I have not been to this area or resort prior, any tips of decent runs later in the week is very beneficial and appreciated Eh oh! Eh oh!
Get better soon
Russ
snow report
@Russ, if you’d like a copy of my comprehensive guide to the Saalbach ski area, P.M. me your email address.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tatmanstours,

That would be fab, thank you so much, I am normally three valleys based but last year or two have done several in Italy, so I am really looking forwards to sampling Austria Eh oh! Eh oh!

russ.billing@icloud.com

Thank you

Russ
snow report
@tatmanstours, I am going to Saalbach Jan 21st for the first time this year. Could I also get a copy of your guide, please? Eh oh!

dalejonathan@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Dale.
snow report
Probably best not to be putting personal e mail addresses on a public forum, pm’s are better…..never know who is hanging around in here Laughing
Andy.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
With the delight of school holiday dates allowing another Pre-Christmas week next season. I jumped on Lufthansa flights to Munich as soon release leg was released.

I am tempted by Saalbach-Hinterglemm as never been there. How has it been this season?

Where else should I be looking. Keen to keep transfer at under 3hrs if we can. Was also tempted by Kitzbuhel? Agaib not been there.

Due to being A-level year. We won't be doing Easter in 2024.

I've been doing the exact same research .... Manc to Munich. Obertauren fits the bill too and is just under the 3 hours.... its high too with an early opening date. Given this seasons start, it's somewhere I'll be considering next year. However, I have just been looking for wb 13th Jan and the Airbnbs there are asking £400 per night!!
latest report
@Gaz_H, In general there are few airbnb properties in Austrian resorts most places (including apartments) are rented out through the local tourist office. However places like Obertauern are probably mostly hotels which would mean there is a limited supply of apartments. If you are seriously considering Obertauern then Salzburg is a much better choice of airport. It is a good (long) drive from Munich, you would be doing well to drive there in under three hours from the airport
snow conditions
Now Sunweb accommodation is starting to appear back to looking where to go.

What do people think of Flachau as a base for mid December. Suspect this will be best with a hire car (having done Feb in Radstadt).

I did spot one I was tempted by in Ischgl after suggestion of that area here.... looked last night at it to see my week already booked at that accommodation from it appearing only a few days ago
snow report
@NickyJ, as always, depends on the weather. I've skied Flachau several times in mid December and had man made strips or plenty of snow. Def car hire them you can get to schladming area or anywhere that's looking better
ski holidays
in a normal Winter (normal not good) there is always possible to ski in Flachau mid Dec. Except that you have the option for Schladming - Hauser Kaibling - Reiteralm which have a super artificial snow system

With car you can go to obertauern or zauchensee as an option (the base in these is at 1740 and 1350, a little bit higher)

I am planning also a weekend somewhere there in Mid Dec since we decided to skip the November Glacier ski week for a week in Feb , and i cannot wait till end of Dez start of Jan.
ski holidays
Would Wagrain be a reasonable spot to base ourselves?

Trying to find that sweet spot of nice and affordable and reasonably snow sure. As the best deals, as always, are the riskier locations.
snow conditions
are you going to have a car or not?
snow conditions
we can do if need be, we are currently fighting the Europcar who are claiming damage not done, so hiring a car is not hugely attractive as they are thieving bar stewards who lie
ski holidays
@NickyJ, I would say that Wagrain is a bit "nicer" than Flachau (not that there is anything wrong with Flachau) though a few years since I was there (there was still a shuttle bus between the ski areas and no link to Kleinarl) no more snow sure though. I think it makes little odds unless you go high (which I know costs more) maybe Kitzbühel might have slightly better conditions than Flachau (or the other way around). If you are going to pick one of these sort of places then choose on price and what looks nicest, it will either snow or not thats the risk you are taking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy