Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Mayrhofen

Poster: A snowHead
For our next trip we are back to Mayrhofen for our Easter school holidays. We have a hire car booked, and looks like we will need to stop on route to get the vignette as can't see a way of buying in advance without knowing car registration. Have I missed a route?

If by some miracle we can get us, all our luggage (inc 4 pairs of skis and probably snowboard) in the car with any space for shopping, is that somewhere we are going to pass on route, that I can buy food supplies and the Vignette that's worth stopping at (obviously BEFORE) we cross the border.

Thanks for suggestions snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If just a vignette then I would normally stop at Holzkirchen services on the A8 to get that. Irschenberg I tend to avoid as it has a slip road about 1 car length long which is exciting when there's a stream of trucks that have just summitted that hill.
Dunno where's best for self catering shopping supplies, but I would expect there's an Aldi or Rewe or something in Holzkirchen itself as well as a normal petrol station. I expect there are better options for that.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always stop at the first services after the border, been doing this for 30 years. For food shopping just go to the supermarket on the outskirts of Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="JimboS"]I always stop at the first services after the border, been doing this for 30 years.

Im assuming you mean the one at Keifersfelden before the border. As hes coming down from Munich, you need a vignette once again only after Kufstein South

The first one over the border would mean that your driving illegally
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No, I mean after the border, there are signs just after the border reminding you to buy one. Works for me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@NickyJ, consider what time you land, and what day of the week it is – supermarkets in Austria and Germany close earlier than in the UK, generally 8pm on weekdays and 6pm on Saturdays, and very few are open on Sundays – as you may need to shop in Germany before you make the drive if it means you arrive in resort after closing time. In this situation, I always use the Lidl near Munich airport. Don't forget to pack a few shopping bags.

You can buy a vignette at any petrol/service station near the border – look out for the vignette reminders along the way.

Edit: Looks like supermarkets in Zillertal close a little earlier, typically 7pm. If you want a bigger store, look for one in a larger town along the motorway, e.g. Interspar in Wörgl.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, good shout. We arrive on Saturday and scheduled landing time is 11:50 so should be OK, not hugely keen on stocking up on route.... but like idea of arriving with supplies to not need to traipse straight out shopping snd being able to make a coffee straight away. Always time consuming collectig hire cars and circa 2hrs drive without the necessary stops. Hope was to limit stops to just one and get stuff and vignette from same stop. Not sounding hugely likely
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, It takes about a minute to pull into a petrol station and buy a vignette, so don't let that influence your journey too much. They sell a lot of them. I would consider more whether you want to visit a bigger supermarket that the small resort ones, and maybe have a plan B for stocking up in case you are delayed. The drive can often take closer to 3 hours if the traffic is bad.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, thanks for heads up!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do not do what we did and think about getting one just before the border only for our driver to forget (coz we weren't awake to remind him).
Woke up to the sound of the nice policeman explaining that no, we couldn't get one at the next services but we could give him 100euro to pay the fine Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, noted! I do wish it was something we could buy either at the car hire desk or online in advance, one less thing to worry about. I get why not at the car hire desk....being in Germany and all, but not thw why not online
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, you can buy a vignette online here https://www.asfinag.at/maut-vignette/vignette/ just tick the box saying you are a business (unternehmen) which means the digital vignette is immediately valid. Easy to do this from a phone once you have collected the car (free wifi at the airport if that is a concern). Make sure you only visit the official ASFINAG site there are various rip off sites selling them for a mark up. There is a reasonable supermarket at the airport opposite the car hire desks(put one person in the inevitable long car hire queue whilst others shop) . Also very quick to buy one at the Kiefersfelden services. Lots of supermarkets on route though not sure if worth the faff if you dont know the area. One very near the autobahn is at a place called Parsdorf (at the München Ost junction on the A99 Munich east ring road take the A94 , first junction east about 1 km comes off direct into a large retail park which has 2 supermarkets, big DIY place etc, a very minor and easy detour from your journey)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
munich_irish wrote:
@NickyJ, you can buy a vignette online here https://www.asfinag.at/maut-vignette/vignette/ just tick the box saying you are a business (unternehmen) which means the digital vignette is immediately valid. Easy to do this from a phone once you have collected the car (free wifi at the airport if that is a concern). Make sure you only visit the official ASFINAG site there are various rip off sites selling them for a mark up.

That is a great tip Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cacciatore wrote:
munich_irish wrote:
@NickyJ, you can buy a vignette online here https://www.asfinag.at/maut-vignette/vignette/ just tick the box saying you are a business (unternehmen) which means the digital vignette is immediately valid. Easy to do this from a phone once you have collected the car (free wifi at the airport if that is a concern). Make sure you only visit the official ASFINAG site there are various rip off sites selling them for a mark up.

That is a great tip Very Happy

+1. Is there an issue ticking your a business, I had reached that page and assumed I couldn't tick that?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@munich_irish, thanks for the detail on stops as well.
snow report
Hadnt realised I needed one.... going to Soll from Munich on the 13th Jan. From what I've read I'm assuming this is an Austrian requirement.

How much are they?
snow report
Less than 10 euro for 10 days
snow conditions
Söll is so close to the border that you shouldn't need one. Just make sure to take the right exit from the autobahn. Will let someone more local comment on whether it's allowed to exit at Kufstein Süd or Kufstein Nord without a vignette. At one point you had to leave on the German side and cross the border through the town.
latest report
I've done this route many times. simplest way is to pull off at the service station before the border, there is a really big one at Rodenheim. for food and supplies there is a hover (Austrian Aldi) right at the side of the road at Zell am Ziller so you will have to drive past it anyway, I normally just nip in and grab what we need in there.
latest report
enduroaid wrote:
I've done this route many times. simplest way is to pull off at the service station before the border, there is a really big one at Rodenheim. for food and supplies there is a hover (Austrian Aldi) right at the side of the road at Zell am Ziller so you will have to drive past it anyway.....

I think you meant to type Rosenheim, and the Austrian Aldi supermarket chain is called Hofer.... wink
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
enduroaid wrote:
I've done this route many times. simplest way is to pull off at the service station before the border, there is a really big one at Rodenheim. for food and supplies there is a hover (Austrian Aldi) right at the side of the road at Zell am Ziller so you will have to drive past it anyway.....

I think you meant to type Rosenheim, and the Austrian Aldi supermarket chain is called Hofer.... wink

HAHA - yes, for sure....auto correct on the laptop!!
snow conditions
There is a REWE in Eching that is easy to get to. It is just off the motorway and Eching is tiny so no issue getting lost.

Eching-Ost
https://maps.app.goo.gl/o81Y1FVWDFUpqYjT8?g_st=ic
ski holidays
@NickyJ, no issue at all ticking the I am a business box, it is about consumer protection legislation, consumers have the right to get a refund up to 14 days businesses do not have the same right.

The autobahn is currently " Mautfrei" as far as Kufstein Süd (for Scheffau , Söll etc). For a period this was not the case and a vignette was required from the border. This caused upset in Kufstein as much holiday traffic came through the town to avoid paying the toll. Transit traffic is now banned through the town (yes the police do check) and is generally the case all along the Inntal that transit traffic is discouraged except on the autobahn. So you need to pay for a vignette to avoid fines & grief
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
No, I mean after the border, there are signs just after the border reminding you to buy one. Works for me.

It may work for you but I wouldn’t recommend it

If it’s your intention to buy one at least buy it in advance of the border rather than risking being fined for buying one
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
@NickyJ, no issue at all ticking the I am a business box, it is about consumer protection legislation, consumers have the right to get a refund up to 14 days businesses do not have the same right.

I can't get my head round that. Surely you are either a business, or not...
ski holidays
jafa wrote:
JimboS wrote:

It may work for you but I wouldn’t recommend it

If it’s your intention to buy one at least buy it in advance of the border rather than risking being fined for buying one
It really isn't a problem. I usually drive off at the last station before the border at Kiefersfelden, get the Vignette in minutes and on your way. Only place I would not really recommend is Irschenberg because the return to the A8 is a bit of an adventure.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, if you are delayed then the Shell Garage in Ramsau (at the traffic lights in the village before Mayrhofen) is open until 10pm and stocks most of the essentials for breakfast or simple dinner.

Vignette is super easy as others have said. Takes 2 mins at the services before the border. You can prob buy it online if you plan enough in advance.
snow report
Go cross country and then you miss a lot of the A8 and save €10!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, it is purely because consumers have a defined "right" to claim their money back on any purchase for 14 days. So you could pay your €9.90 today drive to Mayrhofen then demand your €9.90 back. The same "right" does not exist for business customers. It all seems nonsense to me but presumably it is based on some very cautious legal advice. Just tick the "I am a business" box and the issue goes away.
latest report
@Klamm Franzer, nice journey via Achensee but I have been stuck at Tegernsee and also at Bad Tolz when the A8 is blocked. Much nicer drive though!
ski holidays
Or you get stuck behind a slow driver taking in the sights….
ski holidays
@Klamm Franzer, we use this route when going on holiday to Italy in the summer but we leave home at 05:00! At that time of day we can breeze through Tegernsee but would not advise it during normal daytime as it would be very slow. The drive along Achensee especially early in the morning is very beautiful
snow report
We always stop at the shell station with the Mcdonalds before the boarder. We have a shell card so we fill our car up and get the sticker (we’re driving from Lux). Don’t advise trying to go to the toilet as they just renovated them and still only have 2 female toilets Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!
ski holidays
The past 3 times I've ordered the physical Toll sticker from here without any issues https://www.tolltickets.com/en/
Only reason to save time as we get a early morning flight to try and get a few hours on the slopes in the afternoon .
But if your stopping for shopping anyway there might not be much point ??
latest report
wasley wrote:
The past 3 times I've ordered the physical Toll sticker from here without any issues https://www.tolltickets.com/en/
Only reason to save time as we get a early morning flight to try and get a few hours on the slopes in the afternoon .
But if your stopping for shopping anyway there might not be much point ??

Was more thinking reverse, having to stop for toll do I get the shopping assumig we can cram anything extra into the car! The car we got when we flew to Salzburg and went to Mayrhofen was exceedingly tight and even every footwell filled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy