Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arch discomfort caused by custom insoles?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finally bought my own pair of ski boots and as somebody who has very high arches, also went down the route of custom insoles (as recommended by the fitter).

The right boot with the custom insole fits perfectly, feels like it matches and supports my foot exactly. No discomfort here at all, easily the best fitting boot I've ever worn.

Sadly this isn't the same for the left boot.. something feels off with the insole straight away but I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly what it is. After a while of wearing the boot I experience discomfort/slight ache in my arch that continues to worsen. The discomfort increases and the arch feels further strained if I put pressure on and press down with the ball of my foot.

I've replaced the custom insole with the stock insole that came with the boot, and the discomfort disappears but my foot doesn't feel as supported as my right.

I plan on returning to the shop when I can, but just wondered if anybody had experienced anything similar? I'm a bit confused how one insole can fit so well and provide much comfort and support whilst the other insole the complete opposite... considering they were both made together at the same time? Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At this stage, I'm not sure the experience of other people will necessarily be relevant to you. I have read of issues with uncomfortable custom footbeds on here, so it does happen.

Go with your plan and see the person who made them....and hopefully the issue will be sorted. Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A test would be try a pair of superfeet ?

So long as they are the correct type and fit ....ie. arch height, arch lenght and heel width .

They will always get used in other shoes boots and likely help all year long .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would check whether the insole that causes discomfort fits correctly in the boot & liner, maybe it needs trimming down slightly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Either what @rjs, says, or make sure that you're putting the boots on properly and your heel is all the way back as any forward movement with a high arch will compress your foot and cause discomfort. You'll feel it near your heel.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What if you try the insole in some trainers/shoes & walk about in them?
Could be an underlying problem with your foot rather then insole being at fault.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NBH, couple of things you can try

check the length of the insole in the boot, even 1mm too long can force things into the wrong place
when putting the boot on give the heel a good kick back and then fasten the upper buckles first

if the arch feels like it is a little too far back this is fairly normal and normally subsides with a little skiing, it could also be that the foot is collapsing more so the insole is working harder, therefore you feel it more

it is probably something as simple as the posting on the back of the product needs to be softened just where it applies this pressure to the foot

all speculation without seeing the foot and the device, but the fitter should be able to solve the issue pretty quickly
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NBH wrote:
Finally bought my own pair of ski boots and as somebody who has very high arches, also went down the route of custom insoles (as recommended by the fitter).

The right boot with the custom insole fits perfectly, feels like it matches and supports my foot exactly. No discomfort here at all, easily the best fitting boot I've ever worn.

Sadly this isn't the same for the left boot.. something feels off with the insole straight away but I'm struggling to put my finger on exactly what it is. After a while of wearing the boot I experience discomfort/slight ache in my arch that continues to worsen. The discomfort increases and the arch feels further strained if I put pressure on and press down with the ball of my foot.

I've replaced the custom insole with the stock insole that came with the boot, and the discomfort disappears but my foot doesn't feel as supported as my right.

I plan on returning to the shop when I can, but just wondered if anybody had experienced anything similar? I'm a bit confused how one insole can fit so well and provide much comfort and support whilst the other insole the complete opposite... considering they were both made together at the same time? Puzzled Puzzled

I had pretty much exactly the same issue in the same foot when I purchased my current boots. The manufacturer in sole provided a good temporary fix until I could go back to the fitter (Pro Feet). They were excellent, shaved a small area off the insole and very slightly ‘blew’ the boot. Problem totally solved and, 12 years on with one pair of liners replaced, they’re still going strong.

I appreciate everyone is different, but my guess is that your fitter should be able to resolve the issue. Fingers crossed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all, very helpful.

@Cacciatore, glad you got it sorted! Out of interest, what area of the insole was shaved? Sightly reducing the length?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NBH, from what I remember (it was maybe 12 years ago), it was shaved from the inside arch as it slopes towards the ball of the foot…if that makes sense. I may have to go and check Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy