Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for a Scotland Trip for Mid Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Just looking for some advice regarding a short trip to Scotland in mid February. I've been to the Nevis Range before almost 20 years ago around the same time and got lucky, there was reasonable snow cover and got 1.5 days of skiing in before the winds closed the lifts. I'm aware that's its hit or miss with Scotland with regard to conditions for skiing however even if there is no skiing available we will still be happy enough to do non-skiing stuff. So for those who have made the trips to the high-lands for skiing where is best place to got for a long weekend. Based on on-line research to date I'm leaning towards Glenshee, but accommodation for 4 nights not looking easy to secure, Braemar seems to be the closest village/town but not a huge amount of accommodation available? Would love to hear peoples advise/reviews/recommendations. In the past 20 years is Scotland even worth considering at all given the Global Warming/Climate change impact/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is always a chance of good skiing in Scotland, but it is impossible to predict! In general we tend to have better conditions later in the season, mid-March on, but that’s not any guarantee. If you can leave planning until the last minute is always the advice.

I would tend to agree that Glenshee is best for most people, as there is plenty of non-extreme skiing and at least a sense of travel across more than one valley. Glencoe and Nevis are stronger for more extreme stuff off-piste if there is enough snow.

For Glenshee consider staying in Perth or Blairgowrie. Blairgowrie is closer but less going on, although there are a couple of hotels/pubs. Perth is quite attractive, plenty of hotel (including travelodge etc.) and more central for non-skiing activities.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great skiing can be had in Scotland but not planned for. If I were you I'd head to the Alps instead for the long weekend. If you do come up and there is good snow and weather then expect it to be rammed at the weekend. For access it's better to stay on the Braemar side of Glenshee as the road tends to open up first from there.

Last year there were a few disaster days for those coming from the south when the police failed to arrive to open the gates.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As has been said...You can't really book definite dates weeks ahead for Scotland skiing...

But if you are indeed committed to a visit on specific dates, and travelling from down south, you can maximise your chances by booking night one at Perth. (eg There are 3 or 4 Travelodges, that are usually good value.) That That way, with an early start the next morning, you are within 1-1.5hrs of Glenshee, Cairngorm and Glencoe. Nevis Range is a little bit further but still do-able.

Then check the forecast and go where it's best. You could then book digs online for the rest of your trip, based on the forecast and conditions.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Many thanks all so far…..especially the suggestion of staying in Perth so as to leave plenty of choice to reach which ever resort has the best conditions. Only down side would be that if say glenshee does get a big dump and you have only one night booked in Perth would it be almost impossible accommodation at very short notice. We are a group of 7
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nah you’d be alright outside busy weeks. Other option is Newtonmore/Kingussie area or Aviemore and then you can drive to Cairngorm, Lecht, Nevis Range. Glenshee a bit harder to get to from there Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Sneachta2013, Perth and surroundings will have loads of accommodation available. Winter season is "low season".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
Perth and surroundings will have loads of accommodation available. Winter season is "low season".
Not to mention that, in the Glenshee dump scenario, Perth to Glenshee is a feasible daily commute, at about 1 hour each way. Not ideal but feasible. We've done it a number of times.

Failing that, Blairgowrie (40 mins south of Glenshee) is a decent shout for accommodation - and saves you journeying further north past the slopes. Loads available there - from B&Bs (see Visitscotland.com) to hotels (see Hotels.com or Booking.com). It's a pleasant enough place with pubs, restaurants, cafes and takeaways.

Reader's Tips:
1. Have a look now for accommodation possibilities for (say) tomorrow. That will give you a good idea of last minute availability and range of options. It may be skewed by the Christmas/New Year hols but you will get the gist.
2. If you are then still concerned about accommodation, book cancellable digs on Hotels.com or Booking.com and Bob's your uncle wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Aviemore gives lots of non snow options if the snow is not there.
The funicular may be running again by then
Glenshee good when there is decent cover
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some very nice and great value self catering accomodation in Kirkmichael(about 25 mins south of Glenshee) search "Kirkmichael apartments"
It's a tiny village, one pub and one shop, very scenic with some nice local walks. 25 mins drive will get you to Blairgowrie or Pitlochry.
As you are aware skiing can never be guaranteed in Scotland.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alasdair.graham wrote:
There are some very nice and great value self catering accomodation in Kirkmichael(about 25 mins south of Glenshee) search "Kirkmichael apartments"
It's a tiny village, one pub and one shop, very scenic with some nice local walks. 25 mins drive will get you to Blairgowrie or Pitlochry.
As you are aware skiing can never be guaranteed in Scotland.

A second vote for KirkMichael.

Also, if you can make the trip midweek, you have a far better chance of quieter slopes.

I have had days on Glenshee midweek where it's been bluebird and nice and quiet.

Weekends can test the lift "infrastructure" a bit..........
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all for your tips/advice, looks like Glenshee still suits us best and we've almost secured accommodation in Kirkmichael..............as I said above, we will be treating skiable pistes as a bonus.............winds/rain or heavy snow could all coincide to rule out skiing but it will be a mid winter break in any case and we can sample the unique cuisine of scotland such as haggis, Iron-bru and of course the deep fried mars bars Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Sneachta2013, absolutely! When I go with friends for a winter stay in Scotland booked some time well in advance we treat it as a nice winter break with the possibility of skiing if the snow Gods are favourable. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sneachta2013, I am sure you will have a great time even if the snow is not great, you seem to be approaching things with the right attitude!

I would say that Kirkmichael would be somewhat bleak if the snow gods don't smile on you. It might be better to be somewhere with more going on and better transport links which is why I suggested Perth. Edinburgh and Glasgow easily accessible for days out, Stirling Castle is close, the Fife coast is doable. In short lots of options for other fun stuff if no skiing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I live in Perth, but for your needs I’d stay in Pitlochry. Easy access to Glenshee and easier access to Cairngorm. Also loads of accommodation and some decent eating and drinking options.
ski holidays
Further query re intended trip
To Glenshee. From the web site of the glenshee ski rental shop it says that it is not possible/there is nowhere to leave skis and boots overnight. This will mean that if as intended we stay at kirkmichael we will have to bring /lug 7 pairs of skis and boots back to our accommodation each day assuming that there are lifts and pistes open..? Can anyone out there confirm if this is actually the case…?
snow conditions
If there are 6 of you, you will presumably have two vehicles, or one very big one? The advice to try to go mid-week is spot-on. The only time I skied at Aviemore, when I was living in Scotland, when the Saturday was a bluebird day with decent snow, the lift queues were ghastly. Worst I've seen anyway. On Sunday, of course, it blew a hoolie and most lifts were closed by 11.
snow report
@Sneachta2013, if there are 6 (or 7) of you you might care to check on availability of the self catering Braemar Lodge log cabins for the dates you're looking at. The Braemar Lodge hotel itself was sadly burnt down in a fire last year, but the log cabins in the grounds were unaffected. Braemar is a nice place to stay if you're skiing at Glenshee, with some good restaurants, pub and a chippy. https://braemarlodge.co.uk/home-1/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy