Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milky Way - getting between villages

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

We are looking at staying in Claviere but wondering
If anyone has any experience with taxi/ ski bus
To sestierre or soux?

I can’t find and info on ski buses?

How easy it is it to / expensive to get taxis
Between the villages, particularly in the
Evening we fancy staying out in soux one evening
As know the apres is quieter in claviere,

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
Thx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Might help ( I haven't read the threads )
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=158348
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156470
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi @snome,

We looked at this for our last trip to Sauze two years ago, we’d been a few times before and wanted to avoid skiing all the way over to Montgenevre and back in a day so looked at transport options. Ideally we wanted to get a bus from Sauze to Montgenevre, but we gave up on the idea up in the end. The information I could get online about timetables was sketchy, we knew we’d have to get a bus from Sauze down to Oulx, then another one from Oulx to Montgenevre. From the information I could gather though, it just seemed like it wasn’t all that joined up and it was a total of 1-2 hours to make it work. Obviously we were looking to maximise ski time so I got a quote for a taxi from Sauze to Monte, 80 euros one way 150 euros round trip based on 5 people travelling (2019/20 season), then our airport transfer minibus said they’d do it for 70 or 75 (can’t remember which). Journey time I think 30-40 minutes.

On one previous holiday we got stranded in Cesana due to high winds closing the link lifts and we got a bus to Oulx, I can’t remember the price but not very much and took about 15-20 minutes, then we just got a taxi up to Sauze for about 25 euros as the bus was a bit of a wait.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what I recall there is a bus service, but it is not a ski bus and is not frequent

One of our party missed the link from Sestriere to Sauze. She caught a bus to D'Oulx and then up again to Sauze. It took her 2.5 hours as the busses were both hourly.

Your best bet is to ring local taxi operators and arrange that way
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info guys, looks like taxi’s will be the best option, trouble is there is only 2 of us so will be pricey.

I know it’s hard to say but is it likely to still be
Snowy in the village at claviere at the end of March?

Thx
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snome, If you stay in Claviere the ski area you will be skiing will basically be Monts de Lune (Montgenevre and Claviere). There is no public transport between these resorts and Sauze/Sestriere etc. It is possible to ski to Sestriere/Sauze but it takes a while. If you want to ski Claviere and Sauze/Sestriere you would be best off having a hire car and using it some days to go to the Italian resorts, on other days you could stick in Claviere/Montgenevre.
The other thing to bear in mind is that the snow is usually best in Montgenevre/Claviere which is another reason we have never had the incentive to go much beyond them.
If you want lively apres ski you might be best off going to Sauze instead.

You need to be able to ski a red to go between Claviere and Montgenevre.

The Resalp bus transports people from Briancon or Oulx stations to these resorts but does not go between resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info, I heard the conditions were best in Mont g too, which influenced us choosing claviere, I think it ticks most the boxes for us, we aren’t big party animals anymore but wouldn’t mind 1 or 2 nights out.
Can see how a hire car would work well for getting between villages but no good for a night out Eh oh!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, we're in sauze d'oulx at the mo and trying to figure this one out!
Hoping to ski to Claviere and bus back but doesn't look easy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As others have said, busses run from oulx but they are not frequent atall, I recall a few years ago having to drive to pick a friend up at oulx to get to sestriere because the busses didn’t work.

Claviere has been very iffy once or twice with no snow to that level, same with Cesana which was just a WCOD. The lifts are a bit archaic at Cesana which you would have to take to get to sestriere or Sauze, it takes a long time to get over that side from Claviere, I wouldn’t want to do it every day.

The best skiing to be had on the Claviere side in my opinion is Monti della Luna (translated = mountains of the moon) the views on a clear day are phenomenal, it’s always been super quiet when I’ve been there too, If you like to ski aggressively you will be able to open the taps here, the skiing is not massively varied but very good. Montgenevre also has good skiing and quiet slopes, it’s still not massive for apres ski, none of the resort really is with the exception of sauze.

If you end up going over to sauze side (which I would highly recommend you do), I would probably bin off the long trip on the lifts, forget the non existent busses and hire a car. The skiing in sestriere is just OK IMO. The best skiing that side is off the top of Fraiteve and the skiing in sauze is good too!

Good luck, enjoy your trip.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd put the counter view to the above, and say your non skiing time transferring Clav & Sansicario, will be shortest in the gondola's (and be aware if snow levels aren't great you will need to gondola down into Cesana both ways. Sestriere, Sauze and Sansicario areas have some great and varied skiing (better than the Clav / Mont side of the gondola hike) and obviously snow conditions can vary, with certain weather directions often dropping more snow on Mont. All the way over to far side of Sestriere is a fair old hike in a day. defo know your gondola cutoff times and plan to ski in Sansicario on the way back so you are handy for the gondola trek back over.

A taxi might be worth the additional expense if you were going to go early and back late, so effectively travelling before lifts open and after lifts shut, thus paying a premium for an extended skiing day / not losing transfer time to Gondola riding.

Oh and 1st rule of the Via latte, never have lunch in France. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
t44tomo wrote:

A taxi might be worth the additional expense if you were going to go early and back late, so effectively travelling before lifts open and after lifts shut, thus paying a premium for an extended skiing day / not losing transfer time to Gondola riding.

Oh and 1st rule of the Via latte, never have lunch in France. Very Happy

I was anticipating that the OP would be travelling outside of lift times to make the most of the slopes ses/sauze side, if you’re travelling within the times that the lifts run then yes, lifts will be tedious but still quicker.

Agreed, the food in France is not fantastic, Italy much cheaper and better.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very important question - about do you pronounce Sauze d'Oulx. And is there, as one might imagine, a difference depending on whether you're trying to speak French or Italian?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I think you pronounce the 'l' in Italian, (Ool) and it is like 'ou' in French but I could be completely wrong.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two different pronunciations in a few seconds... (from English speakers)

http://youtube.com/v/t9w58NG2vxc

Skip to 55 seconds (but the start is worth watching for the fashion...!)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, "sose-doo" seemed to work when we were there.
snow conditions
As @j b, says, Sowzy Doo seems to do it. Been there four times and it seems to be the common consensus.
latest report
Sowzuh doox?
snow conditions
Or even Sowzuh dooolx
snow report
@pam w, I've just asked my Italian neighbors, and I've recorded it as it's totally different to anything you could attempt at pronouncing.

Later I'll upload it as a sound file.
snow report
@Weathercam, bravissimo!
latest report
@pam w, it was a highly amusing conversation.

Mates of mine run a number of apartments here, and Chis has others, in Vallandry, Les Houches and elsewhere, plus he has Slovenian residency!

Their latest project is an old pensione at Sagna Longa, at the top of the Cesana chair. I was hoping it might be sort of habitable this February so we could escape the crowds here.

It's going to be a fabulous place, but not good if you want bars and restos around you, though they will snow mobile you if you should so wish.
ski holidays
Sounds wonderful - I'd have no need to go out to bars and restos of an evening.
snow report
@pam w, here we go the wonders of the Internet & SH's Very Happy

Click on this or paste in the browser etc

https://stylealtitude.com/images/sauze_oulx.m4a
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy