Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Via Lattea 2022

Poster: A snowHead
Oh the pressure - a thread starter

I am booked for Sauze with my 3 daughters for 2nd week of Jan. I have been twice previously (10+ years ago) Read extensively so I understand the shortcomings - but the major criteria that swung it were:

Short transfer
Price

And if the links are open - its a nice area.

Open to advice on transfers, hiring equipment and school.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always good to have a thread on the Via Lattea.... Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Were any new lifts added in Via Lattea or has COVID rendered any construction work impossible?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was wondering the same. Certainly 2 new lifts were approved for construction before COVID struck. They are definitely doing earthworks here and there to improve things, but I’ve not seen any evidence either way regarding the lifts.

We will be in Sestriere at Christmas and again at half term. We have always had good snow across half a dozen visits (but not always good off piste), lots of sun, a bit of wind, and lots of good lunches on the mountain.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Game of Snows, any idea what the Sestriere to Sauze link will be like this season? Will it just be the black runs? And are they really steep blacks? Or are they wide. I cant remember and I have a cautious but competent blue/red skier with me.

Will be intetrested on how the regiou is skiing Christmas since I am there 2nd week Jan.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It should be fine - pre Covid they bypassed the piste that was closed following the tragic accident. A new track runs parallel to it but out of the wind. I think it’s a blue - you can see it on Google earth quite well. Looking at the webcam, it looks like they’ve widened it this summer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
‘Vallone del Rio Nero’ webcam seems to show it. Looks like they are still improving it!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So - I am staying in Sauze D'oulx. Any recommendations for a Skli Hire shop - or is it much of a muchness and I should just select a place reasonably close to accommodation....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, I don’t know. We are based on the Sestriere side. We use Cristina Sci and Golf in Sestriere for the kids (lovely family run the hire shop and the gift shop), but I doubt they have a shop in Sauze
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ado, I always use Eydallin sports at the bottom of Clotes. They offer storage for online bookings if that is any use
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@toyah807, Eydallin seem to get good reviews.
Based on location it's them or Lol Sportivo.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we are heading (Hopefully) to Sestriere on 19/12 for a week. Looking forward to it even though I am a bit nervous travelling for the first time after COVID.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@toyah807, any comment on the quality of the equipment? they seem to have the best feedback so far - but its hard to really judge?
and if my some miracle I was going to buy - do they have have boot fitting service?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ado, i have always been more than happy with their service, location and storage (used 3 times). Never used them for boot fitting but they seem to do most things and will reply to questions promptly. In relation to transfers I don't know their current status but I would recommend Sauzetaxi (www.sauzetaxi.it ) based on my own experience. Our transfer was prompt and reasonable, but on arrival in Sauze we realised that one of my friends had left his ipad on the plane. It ended up in lost property at Turin (open monday to friday only) and Roberto from Sauzetaxi organised for one of his colleagues doing a midweek airport run to go and fetch it whilst there. That evening it was waiting in our hotel reception, so very helpful.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Game of Snows, We are thinking of heading to Sestriere for week after Christmas, can you recommend any of the ski schools for kids? Aged 5 and 7. Preferably full day classes(ie 4hrs).
snow report
Hi, I’m sorry but our kids had learnt before we started going to Sestriere. They did have the odd lesson, but I can’t remember with whom now.

Like all ski schools, it’s often down to the individual instructor- the kids had some very scary French ESF instructors over the years (but still enjoyed it and progressed).
snow report
@Game of Snows, No worries, thanks! To be completely honest, I was initially debating Sestriere as being snow-sure, however it was your response above that helped with that one Wink
ski holidays
Well, I see there is a little snow down to the town already and the canons have been firing to consolidate that all the way down to Borgata which must be a few hundred meters lower than Sestriere itself. According to Wepowder, there should be more snow this week and possibly some the week after, so hopefully the season can start on natural snow and save the company the cost of using the canons a lot.
snow report
Does anyone know what time the Italian ministers are meeting today re. Covid restrictions?
snow conditions
ohhh.....i didnt know this was happening.....i will follow intently....due to go on Jan 8.....so conflicted
latest report
ohhh.....i didnt know this was happening.....i will follow intently....due to go on Jan 8.....so conflicted
snow report
sauzeonline have regular updates / blogs about conditions, can also help with booking things in resort.
we were there last week before the links opened but i believe theyre open now with the exception on the link to montgeneve.
piste conditions were excellent for the time of year
latest report
andy'n'netty wrote:
piste conditions were excellent for the time of year

+1. We went for Christmas, and the conditions were as good as I can remember skiing in. 4 days of sun, 1 day of light cloud and 1 heavy cloud. temperature dropped to -10 at night and rarely got above freezing during the day, so the pistes were in excellent condition. All links open except to France. Would thoroughly recommend and there are some great deals available to Sauze and sestriere atm.
snow report
Due to arrive (assuming passing all tests etc) on Sat 8th - it seems like the temps will drop this week so hopefully the conditions will be Ok....
latest report
worth checking the tourist info centre (https://www.turismotorino.org/en/turismo-torino-e-provincia/contact-us/sauze-doulx-ufficio-del-turismo), and sauze facebook pages... when it snows in Sauze, it can be as good as anywhere - easy tree-line skiing to make the most of poor viz....
snow report
Bump

https://www.facebook.com/praliski/
snow report
Looking at the webcams https://www.vialattea.it/Multimedia/Web-Cam - its not great conditions right now. But it is due to get colder from today and snow Sat or Sun. SO hopefully with the low temps the cannons can run,,,,and that there is at least some snow to freshen things up this weekend
latest report
Hi there! Newbie here! Been to Sauze 2 years ago and loved the place, due to go again this year 2nd week in feb, party of 7. Just wondering whoever’s been already this season what is it like since all these restrictions due to covid? Is the Apres Ski possible to some extent?… also how often do you have to show your NHS covid cert on the slopes?

Kind regards!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Huwsbach, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Just back from Sauze. You had to show a vaccine pass to buy your lift pass and also on entry to bars and restaurants.

Apres not as lively as usual. We went to the Miravallino a couple of times which was lively with a DJ / singer although there were signs saying no dancing.
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/DICmkc6G7M0&list=LL&index=11

They usually post weekly
snow report
In Sauze right now. As previous poster says you need Super Green Pass to buy lift pass. On slopes and on mountain restaurants have never been asked for cert. In village was asked for cert when eating. The apres seems ok but I think numbers are down.
latest report
Ado, What is it like on mountain for paying by card/cash?
ski holidays
@Freefall, so far only one mountain restaurant required cash, and that's out of about 5 visited. In village all take cards so far.
snow conditions
Thank you for the welcome guys! And the replies! Its good to hear that the restrictions aren't getting in the way too much!

I’m starting to sweat looking at the forecast and seeing no snow predicted!! Although i know this can change in days, I’ve been watching the weather for quite some time and feel they’ve not had a massive amount of snow up to now? Last time
o was there I could ski right down to the main road opposite the ‘Stella Alpina’ hotel!
latest report
At the moment the low temperatures and cloudless skies are keeping the snow in good condition. So on piste skiing is good especially higher up. Sestriere and Sansicsrio in particular are good as the firm pistes soften in the sun. There are some icy patches, but not too many. The run to the bottom of Clotes is in good condition apart from the narrow last 2 turns. I will say some fresh snow would not go amiss but as long as temps stay low you should have a good time.
ski holidays
Thats a ffab update! Thank you! Were not due to fly out until the 6th Feb so i’m crossing my fingers there’ll be a ‘flurry’ by then to freshen up the piste!
snow report
Well that the last day completed, and no injuries. Sat in Bar Clotes before final little schuss down to return skis. An enjoyable week. The temps went up a little today so a small degradation in snow. But on piste remains good. New snow to freshen the place would help ..but there is still fun to be had. Enjoyed my week. I will be back
snow conditions
Arrived yesterday afternoon for the week, I’ll try and do a daily.
Temps are above freezing in the day but it didn’t seem to do much damage to the pistes, there are a few lifts not running and pistes closed, it feels like they are concentrating on keeping less open but with as much artificial and farmed snow. A few icy or becoming bare patches, so with it also being my first day on skis for two years steady was the key word.
Skied the Sauze and Sansicario areas today, generally quiet, I only shared two lifts throughout the day. Chairlifts Ok without masks, enclosed lifts FFP2 mandatory, lots of repeated announcements over the tannoy system.
There’s no new snow forecast for this week, planning on going over to Sestriere tomorrow.
ski holidays
This is brill! Thank you for the update! Shall look forward to them! Have a lovely time out there and stay safe!
ski holidays
Headed over to Sestriere today, and found the conditions much better than Sauze/Sansiscario of yesterday, blue skies, no breeze, and cold until noon, snow held up well and I’ll be heading over that way again tomorrow. The home runs back into Sauze were ok, if a little scratchy or bare in places. Thankfully most seem to be skiing taking the conditions into account with no sighting of idiots too fast or out of control.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy