Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Affordable Solo Monthly Rentals?

Poster: A snowHead
Whatsup! First post here.

29 M. I’m looking to ski the entire month of February 2023 and wondered how solo peeps who stayed long term or for full seasons managed.

Airbnbs literally anywhere seem too expensive, but seem better than a hostel/lodge since I can save up on meals.

There have to be places to stay for a month for under $1k right? Where do I find these? Where do all the resort staff sleep? Anyone have a room to share?

Austria, and France seem like the ideal places to go for solo skiers given the apres scene but open to literally anywhere.

Any info welcome! Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first suggestion would be to avoid February.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Far too late for this season. The sorts of shoeboxes used for resort staff will be pretty much permanently booked up by employers who provide it as part of the package, and are not generally available for the public to book. Exceptions will exist, of course, but anyone doing a season will already be there and none of these types of place are ever likely to be available for just the busy high season period.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs wrote:

Why? Too busy? Or snow not as good as in Jan?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
Far too late for this season. The sorts of shoeboxes used for resort staff will be pretty much permanently booked up by employers who provide it as part of the package, and are not generally available for the public to book. Exceptions will exist, of course, but anyone doing a season will already be there and none of these types of place are ever likely to be available for just the busy high season period.

Confused Well I appreciate the dose of reality. I still have hope that some exception may appear haha
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Luiski93 wrote:
rjs wrote:

Busy - Major school holidays during 3 of the 4 weeks of feb. So it is peak season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gored wrote:
Luiski93 wrote:
rjs wrote:

Busy - Major school holidays during 3 of the 4 weeks of feb. So it is peak season.

And therefore higher prices and much lower chance of availability.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Luiski93, Had a look round the usual suspects such as Hostels in Bourg St Maurice and similar venues. Can't find anything in your price range for Feb '23. Not really a surprise for all the reasons stated above. I think you need to switch dates to March too. You're not missing much at the moment and Feb best avoided.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stayed here in Chamonix for a full season at your age, pretty cheap and basic with dorms and a couple of private rooms but a good spot to meet people to ski with and 25 yards from the brevent telepherique, if there's availability - https://www.hostel-skistation-chamonix.com/contact
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Luiski93 If you want to do Verbier, Switzerland, on the cheap, you might see if there's space available at the Mt.Fort Swiss Lodge hostel in Le Chable. This is in the same building as the télépherique up to Verbier from the Le Chable train station down on the valley floor, so it's got good train access from Geneva airport, with a change at nearby Martigny. The gondola up to Verbier is open from early morning to late evening. If this is a bit basic for you, there is other accommodation in Le Chable as well. The SBB has a train timetable - set from as 'Genève-Aéroport' and to as 'Le Châble VS, gare' or 'Verbier (télécabine)' if you're looking in Verbier.

[Addendum: The Mt.Fort Swiss Lodge site says the daily b+b rate is CHF 75 ($81) 6.Feb-6.March so that's $2,430 for 30 days. Ummm. So way outside your budget, I think. And that's really the cheapest rack rate you'll find. However, there may be something reasonable up in Verbier (see the Verbier website's Accommodation pages or contact the Tourism Office directly). A studio owner may be willing to give you a discount for 4 weeks guaranteed booking. So perhaps worth asking the TO. Might just be worth emailing the Mt.Fort Lodge to see if they'll do you a discount on 4 weeks as well.]

Today, CHF 100 was US$ 108. If you use the train, the best advance ticket is the Saver Day Pass which allows travel anywhere any time on a specific day, and is bookable 60 days or less in advance. Currently about CHF 56 (US$61) but the price rises the later you leave it before the date of travel, so best to jump in and book it as soon as you hit the 60-day point. Don't get it mixed up with various other 'saver' and 'day' passes.

The Four Valleys (Quatre Vallées) has a nominal 400Kms (250 miles) of pistes and excellent off-piste areas as well. But realistically, the satellites of Nendaz and Veysonnaz are a bit distant and for someone in Le Chable, La Tzoumaz or the hub of Verbier, it's more like 200Kms of comfortably- accessible pistes unless you want to spend half the day getting out and back to the furthest reaches.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Luiski93, 1000$ for a room for a month in Febuary looks very tough to me. Even Borovets is coming in at 2000€ a month. TBH I don't think it can be done.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
$1000 = ~€930

Even a bed in chalet Chardons long stay 6 person dorm accommodation in Tignes les brev is €420+ per week, though meals and wine are included six nights a week so you won’t have to cook…. And can go out the 1 night. You can get 20% off if you stay 28+ nights.

https://www.chaletchardons.com/en/chalets/tignes-hattiers-longstay-room/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

There have to be places to stay for a month for under $1k right?

Lots, but not in a ski resort in high season. I have a lodger who lives here permanently, not in a ski resort, just in a regular town and he pays £550 a month for his room.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LaForet wrote:
Switzerland, on the cheap

A contradiction in terms, surely!! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi wrote:
LaForet wrote:
Switzerland, on the cheap

A contradiction in terms, surely!! Laughing
This cliché gets a bit tedious. It all depends on your trip criteria. Definitely, ski instruction is much more expensive, but the rest is a case of ‘not necessarily’. You probably do have to check prices before you walk into a restaurant for an evening meal, but that’s no different to Vail or Courcheval 1850 in my experience.

I sympathise with @Luiski93 in thinking somewhere in the Alps should surely be do-able on their budget, but the latter half of February anywhere in Europe usually includes 2 weeks of school half-term and that’s a real challenge. From next week (7 Jan ‘23) for 4 weeks inclusive would be the ideal time in terms of cost, quieter pistes and snow. Perhaps 5 weeks (to include 4-11 Feb) in some places. This is a ‘weak’ period for owners renting, so they will be more amenable to a single booking at a discount because bookings are more uncertain.

If you don’t get anywhere with your search for this year, then don’t give up on the idea especially if you can shift the vacation to 2024. If you do that, just make sure your target is the period from the week after New Year to the first/second week of February.
snow report
Can't see a 'save thread' option on SH (is there one?), so am commenting so I can find this again to refer back to! Smile
ski holidays
A few days late to this party but....

Have you looked in to joining seasonnaire groups of specific resorts?

For example, seen a post on the Tignes group advertising a bed in an apartment with one other in the Home Club building via tignes-apartments.com at €600 a month.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy