Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

glacier summer skiing/boarding

Should we carry on using the glaciers in the summer?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Don't know - just to demonstrate I'm not binary
36%
 36%  [ 8 ]
Voted : 22
Total Votes : 22

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm probably playing devils advocate with this post but i'm really interested to hear what others think.

Should we carry on using the glaciers in the summer?

Now when you look at Alpe d'huez having to close their glacier due to sever shrinkage, and you here reports that aprently (i dont know this for certain) 2alpes is shrinking approx 10ft per year. When you consider this are we wrong to satisfy our selfish need to snowboard or ski by possibly ruining the glaciers but carrying on doing it??

should we close them for the summer?

or should we maybe have a year on year off thing?

or is it all fine, we'll be skiing/snowboarding on them for years its all hearsay and rubbish that thye're shrinking?

ummmm maybe i should make this a poll!!

ummmmm only trouble is i dont know how to do it!

\anyhoo what do you lot think.

i'm thinjking maybe option 2, a year on year off basis.

suppose i'm just a little worried my grandchildren wont get to ride in the summer if we keep abusing it
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I made you a poll wink Hope it is to your satisfaction.

I'm not sure that ski-ing on glaciers in the summer increasing their shrinkage rate - my guess would be that it doesn't.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowangel., displaying my complete ignorance on this. How much additional damage does skiing on a glacier do - I really have no understanding of this? How much of the shrinkage is due to skiing and how much due to climate change?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was taught at school that Glaciers are the last reminders of the ice age and thus are naturally in decline and so will all dissapear over time.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does summer skiing accelerate shrinkage? I would have thought that keeping snow cover on the glacier by moving it around with piste bashers would have helped insulate the glacier ice?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, i dont know!!! yes climate change does affect them but surely us skiing on them will effect them too???

last year 2 alpes was a sorry state in june, it was like riding rivers, half of me thinks that when its like that we should leave it alone to do its thing. but maybe i'm wrong maybe we are helpin it!

i do know that the monetier glacier (in serre che) was formed only 300 years ago, when one of the big volcanoes erupted plunging the alpes into darkness for 2 years. During this time the glaciers were formed, it also explains why they are quite black in places. This was told to me by a long standing local of Serre Che, it may not be 100% correct but i have no reason to doubt her info.!

Hoppo, thanks for the poll mate!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowangel., I don't think we contribute much to the shrinkage of glaciers. What June were you there last year? Not the same one as me for sure - I skied the whole glacier area in perfect spring conditions on opening day. It's true that last year was rather hot, but as long as it's the snow we're skiing on it should be OK. Of course if we could get rid of the August hols and do summer skiing earlier that would be better too. (In August there wasn't much actual snow left on the bottom bit).

I suggest you come over on Sat (opening day) and enjoy the riding all the way down to 2,600 (aparently both red and blue runs OK)....

Anyway - what about the glaciers that have put cannons up? are cannons more or less damaging to the environment? I don't know! Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, that was last june!! not opening day by any stretch but in june never the less!! endish of july was getting roapy too!

Dont get me wrong i would love to be able to snowboard all year long but i also care about snowboarding till i'm 80 and my grandchildren doing it as well!

cant make sat, my mother is over! maybe next weekend we'll see! probably wont be till my boy is there for his 3 weeks stint, i'm not paying for him any more than the summer camps he goes to, believe me its expensive enough! I've managed to score another free pass so i'll be there twice this summer for sure! Will let you know when so i can sort something for the little one!

still not sure we dont damage it
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowangel., Why don't you bring your mother? She could enjoy the views - the Croisiere Blanche, the Ice Grotto etc. Also she could try skiing if she fancies it - why not????
Seriously - see the Snow reports forum - first time it's been OFFICIALLY open from 2,600!! WOW!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski, naah, she wont ski, too old,(in her opinion not mine) to much to do here, we';re looking for an apartement for her to buy for her holidays and for me to rent out. think we may have found one and its a luxury one if ever i saw one, fingers crossed!
we'll be over in the first 3 weeks in july when liam is there on his various camps that he does
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy