Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what weight for DIN calc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
a 'theory' question, as I can't find an answer, or much discussion

What 'weight' should* one use for DIN calcs - 'doctors' weight (i.e bare naked on the scales), or 'real' weight (with clothing and backpack as applicable).
*[where 'should' means "what did the people who wrote ISO11088 have in mind]

Obvs this makes a difference to the actual DIN calc... potentially a large difference depending on where exactly one sits on the boundaries of the DIN std.

To be clear - I'm really only interested in whether there is an official answer, and what it is... I'm well aware of the consequences of natural variation, and the reality that there are other factors that might vary DIN (such as 'aggresiveness' level).

fwiw, I'm on the cusp of one of the weight categories, but I could easily imagine a situation where I was skiing with more than 9kg of 'additional weight'.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@hamilton, I doubt many docs will weigh you bare naked, it will only be you doing that in the privacy of your own home I think.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hamilton, you are probably overthinking this a bit! If you are in the cusp of two weight classes the difference in DIN setting will be small (0.5). It could be that you would be better with 0.5 more or 0.5 less than the chart says anyway. It is far from an exact science. Best advice I would give is for piste skiing have the DIN set as low as you can while avoiding pre-release.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For the avoidance of doubt, my question was only 'what weight did ISO have in mind'.... I'm well aware of the consequence of the outcome and I'm quite capable of choosing a din in comfortable with.

The diff between 'naked' and underclothed is a few hundred grammes.... My ski clothing is about a kilo, boots and pack add another 7.... Which is nearly an entire din group.

Anyway, there's at least one snowhead who will know the answer....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect the DIN setting is calculated to reflect the load the leg / knee can sustain without injury so in this case the weight you should be using is your body weight as this is being used as a proxy for your likely leg / knee strength (including things like bone density, bone thickness, body mass, tissue strength, how much it's accustomed to heavy loads, etc).

All the addons you carry will affect the load you might apply to your leg / knee but have no effect on the ability of the leg / knee to support that load.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 17-01-23 17:41; edited 5 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pretty sure it's naked weight.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If on the ‘cusp’ so to speak go one notch less tension, but no more. Better than the converse.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy