Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - advice request

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, looking for some advice on Chamonix and the best ski areas to explore (and those maybe not worth bothering with) on the Unlimited Pass.

We're a group of 4, decent ability, 2 boarders 2 skiers and we're up for most things on-piste, off-piste, trees, steeps and guided-stuff. Looking for a varied trip over 4 full days in Feb up the mountains. Staying in the town centre and with use of a car to get about if necessary.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Cheers in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On their day,all the areas are fantastic!If your 1st time there,try them all.1 day brevent/flegere,2 days Les Grand Montets and 1 day Le Tour.That way you get to see the Valley from different viewpoints!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as harvey said but, get up early. the lifts can get super busy.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@skidm, don't bother with the unlimited unless you really want to ski les Houches or Courmayeur ...

4 days sounds like 1 up La Tour and a mix otherwise of Brev-fleg and the Grands.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info everyone. Went there 20+ years ago as a novice. Looking forward to returning with plenty of miles under the belt. Looks like we'll need the Unlimited Pass as Vallee Blanche and Les Houches are interesting some of the party. Regarding Grand Montets, has anyone on here ever hiked to the top in the absence of the cable car and is it worth it?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skidm wrote:
. Regarding Grand Montets, has anyone on here ever hiked to the top in the absence of the cable car and is it worth it?

I’ve skinned up from the top of Bochard (gondola) or Herse (chair) more times than I can count. Generally only to the col de Rachasses and down the back, sometimes a bit higher, never to the actual top of GM as the effort/ski tradeoff for the last part is poor IMO. Over the col and down is a beautiful ski. 30-60 mins ascent for up to 1800m descent off piste.

To hike you’d want snowshoes as a minimum. And a full day to allow for coming down again. I occasionally see snowboarders ascending on snowshoes but more commonly they’ll use a split board.

Part of the route is glaciated. I’ve only rarely seen guides rope clients on it, but only you know your experience, skills and risk appetite for glacial travel. If in doubt, get a guide.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the info @snowdave, much appreciated. Sounds like you know GM well. If you can recommend any other great off-piste areas, where guides aren't necessary, I'd be interested to know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've only been twice - both a long time ago before kids. Once for a week and once for a 4-day w/e with 2 days guided. I didn't hire a guide very often but Chamonix is one place where it does make sense given some of the terrain available - at least for a couple of days for some bigger lines. If you do VB try to get the guide to take a different route to the standard. Second time I did it we went a different route and it was better.

First trip we stayed in Argentiere and I remember skiing some good off piste in that sector. Brev-Fleg bit more routine but still some good things to find. The ridge to the VB seemed much more gnarly than the second time - may depend on snow, the line cut, etc. Had a crap weather day when we went to La Tour and Les Houches was a long bus ride and very mellow. If 4 days I would scratch those.

Weekend trip also stayed in Argentiere. Skied there the first day. Then VB/La Tour with guide second day. Then GM third day and then I think we did Brev-Fleg 4th day.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@skidm, defining “necessary” is hard. There’s a vast amount of non glaciated off piste on GM and everywhere else in the valley, but finding the entries, exits and safe lines isn’t always easy.

On GM a couple of options would be to turn left off the Herse chair then ski either side of the unpisted black until you hit the cat track back to Herse, or turn right and go straight under the chair. You can check the lines from the chair on the way up. There are places where a wrong turn might leave you cliffed out (ability dependent) but a 3 min walk would get you back on track.

In a group of 4, as @Layne, says, hiring a guide is well worth doing. It’ll work out about e100/person/day and could transform your trip from “a good ski weekend” into “trip of a lifetime”. Try Jonny Baird as a starter and assuming he’s booked, see if he has any recommendations.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great stuff@Layne & @snowdave. We’re going to make the most of it and hire a guide for a day or two.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hej. will be staying in St Gervais les Bains and snowboarding most of the time in Megeve area, a day in Les Contamines Monjoie, and visiting a Chamonix for a day or two is on the plate. We are a group of snowboarders with mixed level of skills from advanced beginner to advanced, 99% we will not be taking that legendary offroad route, no real backcountry experience and equipment, this year we are interested in piste and side piste riding. What would you recommend?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamonix valley + guide
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brevent-Flegere
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If side piste surely Grandes Montets. The route described above by snowdave, left off the Herse chair accesses a large area of safe soft mogulled off piste. Skiers extreme left off the top of Bouchard is similar in my recollection. GM has some of the best side piste, in terms of acreage, around
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its all personal and subjective obviously, but I went last year and found Les Houches to have some really nice runs and was certainly the most 'pretty' area in Chamonix to ride.
We only went to Le Tour once and it was icy and soul less so we didnt go back (plus it takes quite a while on the bus from the centre).
Brevant/Flegere was really good conditions and nice and varied too in look and runs Smile
ski holidays
Me again. So mostly thanks to the fine folk on here we now have an idea on where to board & ski during our 4-day mini adventure in Feb. The question now is: where to party? Can Chamonix offer any great après, bars and live music for some general tomfoolery come an evening? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@skidm, lordy. Depends what you mean by "great" (obvs). The most "obvious" après is the Folie Douce. It's not as mad as some of them but if nice weather the terrace is quite fine. Plus a dancing troupe. Watch out for eye-wateringly expensive prosecco (€65/bottle for the stuff you buy in Carrefour for €6).

Also, CHambre 9 seems to have live après music on. But we haven't been in for years.

Bighorn maybe, Becket & Wilde probably, both in Cham Sud. Slightly further out, I think the Jekyll was advertising music. Back in town, the Hydromel (Fr. for mead) often seems to have things on.

Other good bars? The Pub, being just like a pub. Bistrot des Sports. Irish Coffee. And some like Bard'up (I haven't been in for years there either, I think I'm too old).
snow report
Good stuff @under a new name, we'll be sure to check some of those out!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@skidm, lordy. Depends what you mean by "great" (obvs). The most "obvious" après is the Folie Douce. It's not as mad as some of them but if nice weather the terrace is quite fine. Plus a dancing troupe. Watch out for eye-wateringly expensive prosecco (€65/bottle for the stuff you buy in Carrefour for €6).

Also, CHambre 9 seems to have live après music on. But we haven't been in for years.

Bighorn maybe, Becket & Wilde probably, both in Cham Sud. Slightly further out, I think the Jekyll was advertising music. Back in town, the Hydromel (Fr. for mead) often seems to have things on.

Other good bars? The Pub, being just like a pub. Bistrot des Sports. Irish Coffee. And some like Bard'up (I haven't been in for years there either, I think I'm too old).

The Chambre9 band that was resident for many years pre-covid (and which built the apres-ski rep of C9) isn't coming back - they have a mix of different acts apparently in now, but to also mixed reviews.

All good shouts for the rest - I've seen some good bands in Hydromel (and I like their food). Though last winter it was hard to get info from them if they would have a band in that day or not Smile

Irish Coffee often have music early evening, though not a lot of space for dancing... It's right across from L'M too, which have a bigger terrace and sometimes a bit of a party.

I do like the dancers and acrobats in Folie, and the french girl who sang with the band immediately pre-covid was great! Not sure if she's back. It's nice being able to wander between a few different bars in there too, depending on your mood (and how smartly you're dressed Wink )

Maison des Artistes has a nice range of bands and DJs too - I spent NYE there and it was very fun (and drinks prices aren't too crazy): https://maisondesartistes-chamonix.com/evenements/#ctn
ski holidays
@fixx, ooh! Maison des Artistes. Haven’t been in in years (as it mostly seemed poorly run) … must have a look
ski holidays
Bit of a hijacker’s effort here, so sorry in advance. Heading to Chamonix for 3 days in March for a pals 40th. Is it worth getting the MB lift pass or just stick with the Chamonix option ?
latest report
@barthez1980, hmmm, depends how much energy you think you'll have. MBU only gets you Le Houches, Courmayeur and of course the Vallee Blanche.
latest report
Following this thread with eager eyes, don't suppose anyone has space for a single skiier for Vallee Blanche between 29th Jan-4th of Feb? My group are probably a bit inexperienced for it, so it looks like it just me!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy