Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long Trip Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
My go to travel insurance company has changed their policy wording so I need to find a new provider.

Anyone have any tips for insurance which covers the following criteria?

Long trip Europe: winter sports 8 weeks for me (offpiste) and 12 for my wife (on piste)

Other: baby with us 3 months old at time of departure

I'm thinking of using my Austrian alpine club (covers me up to 8 weeks) and buying/topping up for my wife to 12 weeks. Admittedly (this doesn't cover kit and is "just a medical/repatriation cover") plus a standard family EU annual travel insurance without or limited winter sports cover.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LittleBullet, snowcard...but check the wording. Email them for a specific number of days cover, j just got 45 days
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We always used MPI.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Otherwise be careful on topping up. My bank annual insurance will only cover the first 30 days of winter sports, topping up for subsequent says is challenging as with mainstream policies the insurance period has to start and end in the UK.

Also look at the number of days a standard policy would give you...probably 31 days or something similar per trip.

I ended up upgrading my trip length on my annual policy to 45 days and took out winter sports only with snowcard for 45 days.

Russell Dadson, the owner of Snowcard, is extreme helpful
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, @telford_mike, thanks both of you. This is really helpful. I'll ping snowcard and mpi I recognise your alias, knew I could call on the trusty SH community.

@holidayloverxx, which bank do you have your annual cover with if you don't mind me asking?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@LittleBullet, Lloyd's gold. It changed from AXA...very good...to Allianz...not so much
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’ve used Big Cat and MPI in the past, season insurance, never had to make a claim on either so couldn’t tell you which is the best when it comes to the crunch, so to speak.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looking for myself currently, with similar requirements...

I have used MPI in the past, LV= too - but the policy wording on both makes me a bit nervous, especially now I've got the taste for off piste.

LV= defines off pisute as within the resort boundaries
https://lv-travel.co.uk/i/themes/lvtravel/static/LVpolicybooklet_34645-2022.pdf wrote:

You are covered to ski and snowboard off piste and at a snow park provided you are within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines.

LV='s renewal for me is £107, a new quote is £101

Where as MPI's policy wording states:

https://bolt.mpibrokers.com/docs/9446-10%20Retail%20ST_AMT.pdf wrote:

This policy includes skiing and snowboarding ‘off piste’ with or without a guide and ski touring. There is, however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a sensible manner

Their price for me is £151 basically.

Coverwise seems much cheaper (for me, anyway.- £88 (40, no medical issues) - yet doesn't provide as much ski kit cover (and after having my bag go missing on my last trip, I want to ensure I have enough coverage incase this happens again!).

Their policy is quote vaguely worded (aren't they all? rolling eyes) - for their Gold cover:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/documents/UK/5/nonmed/Gold/6.02/ScheduleWording.pdf wrote:

Off Piste Skiing and Snow Boarding not against the advice of the local mountain authorities

I've emailed MPI for further information, along with LV=

Will reply with their reply when I get it..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
have a look at Revolut, 90 days winter cover per trip
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
the policy wording on both makes me a bit nervous, especially now I've got the taste for off piste
Yep, it's the same old, same old with most wintersports policies rolling eyes ...They really haven't got a clue so just come up with a load of bo11ock5 to effectively exclude what a lot of us would regard as normal off piste - eg off the back, or off the side, of a ski area. And all this on websites boasting 'Policies written by skiers for skiers.' Srangely enough, they will then state that you are covered for ski touring or cat skiing - which would undoubtedly see you in much more remote areas than routine off piste areas.

Some polices even exclude the death-defying activities of glacier skiing and hiking/trekking above 2,000m. (I was really hoping I'd be insured when popping out for morning croissants from my Tignes apartment at 2,100m - best not nip out in my hiking boots eh? Laughing) Good to see that ostrich riding and elephant riding are both covered though (I kid you not!).

I'm currently trying to find a policy that will definitely cover us for a guided off piste trip to Japan in February. MPI (as mentioned earlier - thanks for that!) could well be a goer Very Happy They state:
Quote:
This policy includes skiing and snowboarding ‘off piste’ with or without a guide and ski touring. There is, however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a sensible manner.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Yep, it's the same old, same old with most wintersports policies rolling eyes ...They really haven't got a clue ... Srangely enough, they will then state that you are covered for ski touring or cat skiing - which would undoubtedly see you in much more remote areas than routine off piste areas. ...
On the cat thing, you're never far from a "cat road", and obviously there's always a route down to it. Hence it's actually pretty easy to evacuate someone from such places. I used to do some work with one of them and have been involved with a few of those. In BC a helicopter rescue us free from the back country (similar to the UK), but even if the cat company has to sled you out, it's hard to see how they could charge more than one person on a sled for a few hours. Logistically the cat company just needs to have the infrastructure not to take the whole cat down just because one customer needs evac, which is easy to do. My point is that insurers are not taking any real additional risk by allowing that. I betcha they exclude cancellation insurance on week long trips though wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
On the cat thing, you're never far from a "cat road", and obviously there's always a route down to it. Hence it's actually pretty easy to evacuate someone from such places.
I stand corrected (in my moulded, orthopaedic insoles) @phil_w wink Not so easy for ski touring evacuations though.

The point that I was (perhaps unsuccessfully) trying to make was that insurers may well cover potentially dangerous off piste stuff by allowing general terms like 'cat skiing' and 'ski touring' on any terrain at all, while going to the nth degree to define 'off piste' as 'only within resort boundaries'....'based on ski patrol advice'.... or (another classic)....'areas shown on the resort piste map.'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have a worldwide policy with Snowcard and as others have said, Russell is really helpful. However, you just need to be aware that the (up to 90 days) limit on winter sports applies not just to days on the mountain but days on holiday, so days travelling to and from the mountains and days off (perish the thought) count towards the total “ski days”. You can crank your policy up to cover what you and they regard as the most risky activity and in doing so cover stuff that you might not be planning to do but presents itself to you along your travels.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ski lots, travel days do not count as ski days with Snowcard...unless its changed since Russell told me that a few years ago. Have you asked him? In fact, I think it's in their FAQs or some such.....although now I'm doubting myself as that might be single trip....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@holidayloverxx, yep. Took the new policy out a month ago and Russell was at pains to point out the issue. I think there has been a change of underwriter. Bear in mind though that my policy is annual and worldwide.
snow report
@Ski lots, thanks, I was thinking single trip
latest report
I needed insurance for the season (4 months). Used my bank accounts travel insurance for first 30 days and then bought a new policy for the remaining 90 days from A-Plan (Silver level). Includes similar Winter Sports cover (incl off-piste) to BigCat but was over £100 less. No other quote came anywhere near for similar cover.
ski holidays
@Davidpem, did A Plan agree to cover you even though you were already away when their cover started?
ski holidays
I didn't tell them I was already away - just put a start and end date.
snow report
@Davidpem, ah...probably weren't covered then

"In order to make getting a quote as simple as possible, please can you confirm that any traveller intending to be covered by this policy is:

A United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle Man resident and registered with a doctor in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle Man.

Travelling from and returning to the United Kingdom, Channel Islands or Isle of Man.

Unaware of any reason why you may have to cancel or cut short your trip.

Not participating in or practicing any professional sports or professional entertainment

By selecting YES, you are confirming that the above statement applies to anyone wishing to travel on this policy.

YesNo

This policy does not cover anyone
intending to travel in the following circumstances:

Travelling against medical advice or against any health requirements stipulated by any carrier or public transport provider.

Travelling with the intention of obtaining medical treatment or consultation abroad.

Awaiting test, results, consultations or investigation for any undiagnosed medical condition.

Who is already travelling at the time of purchase (except where renewing an existing Annual Multi Trip policy)
latest report
Yes just realised. Have cancelled the policy.
ski holidays
marksymoo wrote:
Looking for myself currently, with similar requirements...

I have used MPI in the past, LV= too - but the policy wording on both makes me a bit nervous, especially now I've got the taste for off piste.

LV= defines off pisute as within the resort boundaries
https://lv-travel.co.uk/i/themes/lvtravel/static/LVpolicybooklet_34645-2022.pdf wrote:

You are covered to ski and snowboard off piste and at a snow park provided you are within the ski area boundaries of a recognised ski resort and following ski patrol guidelines.

LV='s renewal for me is £107, a new quote is £101

Where as MPI's policy wording states:

https://bolt.mpibrokers.com/docs/9446-10%20Retail%20ST_AMT.pdf wrote:

This policy includes skiing and snowboarding ‘off piste’ with or without a guide and ski touring. There is, however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a sensible manner

Their price for me is £151 basically.

Coverwise seems much cheaper (for me, anyway.- £88 (40, no medical issues) - yet doesn't provide as much ski kit cover (and after having my bag go missing on my last trip, I want to ensure I have enough coverage incase this happens again!).

Their policy is quote vaguely worded (aren't they all? rolling eyes) - for their Gold cover:

https://www.coverwise.co.uk/documents/UK/5/nonmed/Gold/6.02/ScheduleWording.pdf wrote:

Off Piste Skiing and Snow Boarding not against the advice of the local mountain authorities

I've emailed MPI for further information, along with LV=

Will reply with their reply when I get it..

MPI have replied, basically putting me in my place Shocked

Quote:

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your email.

The statement regarding off piste doesn’t define boundaries, as there aren’t any. Not too sure what else we can add, just act responsibly.

If you want to call on the number below, please do.

<person's name removed for privacy>
latest report
The British Mountaineering Council policy covers long trips and all off piste stuff, it's not the cheapest, I paid around £260 Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy