Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for resort with cruisey blues and accommodation next to the lift.

Poster: A snowHead
We're currently in Rauris for the second time. Children (11 and 9) and I are confident skiers, but husband has lost all of his confidence after a couple of tumbles and has written off skiing for the week as his favourite, easy blue is closed in part and the only blues available to him now include some steeper sections that's he's just not enjoying getting down.

We're in brand-new new, plush accommodation, so he's happy enough enjoying the spa and relaxing in between meeting us for lunch and at the end of the day. I've suggested booking in with a private instructor, but he doesn't want to this week, but has said that next time we go, he's going to do that, and go back to basics.

He's absolutely fine on the gentler parts of the slope and I'd love to ski with him more as I like his company. He's more of a half day skier, with afternoons spent relaxing, so I'm happy to ski at his pace for the mornings.

So we're looking for a resort with wide, gentle, cruisey blues and decent accommodation with a spa and pool near the lift and good ski schools for the children please. Reasonable sized ski area preferred, just for daily variety.

Will consider all European countries with a budget of maximum 5k but less would be preferred. Happy to drive up to 10 hours from Calais, or fly. We can fly from London, Bristol or Birmingham (we live near Bristol). Ideally no more than a 2/2.5 hour coach transfer but even better if we can get to the resort by train from the airport (happy to use other public transport and taxis to access train stations and resort from nearest station).

Thank you oh wise Ski-Oracles.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Avoriaz should work for you
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We were in San Cassiano last year ( Alta badia, Dolomites) and had wonderful time. Used inghams and stayed at hotel la Stua which should be within your budget. Alta badia slopes , with the exception one tricky black, is a blue wonderland, just the blue 11 (return to s. Cassiano) is perfect for your husband. I lost count how many times We did it and never got bored . I am off to val Gardena this year but I will definitely return, one of the best ski holiday we ever had.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The newer country specific “where to ski and snowboard books “ have a “true blue” rating for nervous skiers like your husband.

Megeve , St Foy , Val D’isere , Tignes and Les deux Alpes in France and Obergurgl in Austria get five out of five …

I have only personally skied VDI and Tignes and would say despite their rep for expert skiers there are a lot of blue and green runs high up which is a good setup. Just don’t let him ski back down to VDI… the home runs are all quite fierce.

Not skied the other resorts so you would need feedback from other SH’s.

Avoriaz doesn’t get a specific rating in the books but Chatel nearby gets 4/5 (and the description does say a true blue skier can get around much of the circuit )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was also going to say Alta Badia but it gets 4/5 in the book and whilst a lot of blues on the map , there are a few with some nasty steep pitches…and those steep sections always seem to coincide with a crowd of people !

Absolutely fine for any intermediate skier … but a nervous intermediate who has lost confidence , maybe not.

Having had the same experience as you with my wife (who only learned to ski in her 40’s) it only takes one steep pitch to ruin a day out …and nearly cause a divorce on more than one occasion.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montgenevre Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Belle Plagne might be an option.

Plenty of piste-side hotel/accommodation options and some very benign blues that are great for lapping around to re-build confidence, do drills etc, plus some more challenging runs for you, should you need them.

Oxygene ski school certainly used to have a great reputation for instruction and I think they have a base in Belle Plagne.

Edit: Although I’ve not stayed there, I think the Hotel Carlina is piste-side with some great facilities (stopped for a drink there many years ago) and a fabulous terrace.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 27-12-22 9:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Plange has plenty cruisey blues that cover the whole area and all ski in-out accommodation.

More about which town/resort to pick.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are heading to Val Cenis at Easter, and it seems to tick those boxes.

Will let you know what we think.

My other thought for you would also be Avoriaz, as mentioned already.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sheffskibod wrote:
I was also going to say Alta Badia but it gets 4/5 in the book and whilst a lot of blues on the map , there are a few with some nasty steep pitches…and those steep sections always seem to coincide with a crowd of people !

Absolutely fine for any intermediate skier … but a nervous intermediate who has lost confidence , maybe not.

Having had the same experience as you with my wife (who only learned to ski in her 40’s) it only takes one steep pitch to ruin a day out …and nearly cause a divorce on more than one occasion.

Any specifics to avoid? We are off to Corvara in Feb and Mrs Endo is a reasonable intermediate but not overconfident. I have booked her some private lessons for first 3 mornings so hopefully instructor will sho her the sensible bits. She has managed to get from Val D to tignes and back though all on skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
endoman wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

Any specifics to avoid? We are off to Corvara in Feb and Mrs Endo is a reasonable intermediate but not overconfident. I have booked her some private lessons for first 3 mornings so hopefully instructor will sho her the sensible bits. She has managed to get from Val D to tignes and back though all on skis.

The first pitch from Col Alto lift is a bit nasty…. So if that is your nearest lift out of Corvara just be prepared. Marked as run 4 1/2 weirdly?

I seem to think that the run 7 from top of Bioch to Pralongia 2 lift was tricky, steep and a twisty section . It may have a diversion around the harder portion but then all the nervous skiers head that way and it makes it worse !
And the home blue 8 from below Pralongia 2 has some steep sections and can be busy… but not really much of a way home other than that .
The other home run to Corvara is red 4 and that is quite steep (but usually very quiet).
Blues either way from top of Cherz are a little steeper
Bamby 1 and 2 are reds and fairly steep.

All the blues from the top of Pralongia are lovely in every direction but especially down to San Cassiano.

Bear in mind the Maserie (aka misery) chair is the worlds coldest ….but the blue under it can be lovely and quiet .

If you go on openskimap it gives you the gradient of each run when you click on them. … useful for planning .
https://openskimap.org/?obj=3cbee5fc85eec2469b6451c9356134b23c1595d7#14.7/46.54099/11.889/-137.3/64
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sheffskibod wrote:
endoman wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:

The first pitch from Col Alto lift is a bit nasty…. So if that is your nearest lift out of Corvara just be prepared. Marked as run 4 1/2 weirdly?

I seem to think that the run 7 from top of Bioch to Pralongia 2 lift was tricky, steep and a twisty section . It may have a diversion around the harder portion but then all the nervous skiers head that way and it makes it worse !
And the home blue 8 from below Pralongia 2 has some steep sections and can be busy… but not really much of a way home other than that .
The other home run to Corvara is red 4 and that is quite steep (but usually very quiet).
Blues either way from top of Cherz are a little steeper
Bamby 1 and 2 are reds and fairly steep.

All the blues from the top of Pralongia are lovely in every direction but especially down to San Cassiano.

Bear in mind the Maserie (aka misery) chair is the worlds coldest ….but the blue under it can be lovely and quiet .

If you go on openskimap it gives you the gradient of each run when you click on them. … useful for planning .
https://openskimap.org/?obj=3cbee5fc85eec2469b6451c9356134b23c1595d7#14.7/46.54099/11.889/-137.3/64

Many thanks, added to my growing list of research! I have the aper maps here which is useful.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have to say I wouldn't personally look at Tignes or Val D'Isere on the original criteria.
VD'I does have very good accessible gentle runs at altitude to which you can get lift back down Tignes rather less so skiing back down very busy slopes is generally necessary.
But the bigger problem is that neither resort has decent slope side accommodation with a spa etc that is in any way cheap.
You can either live in a shoe box or pay a lot of money for a spa.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.peakretreats.co.uk/winter/ski-resorts/mont-blanc-chamonix-valley/les-saisies/amaya

Ticks all the boxes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’d say where’s a resort with an excellent private instructor Smile
ski holidays
+1 for residence Amaya in Les saisies with peak retreats. We stayed there last Season and it was fantastic. Ask for an apartment facing the village. I would also drive there or hire a car if flying as whilst it is ski to the door you are a little way from the village centre although it is a pleasant walk if your oh is only doing half days.

Hotel Alparena apartments in La Rosiere also fit your criteria. We also booked this accommodation through peak retreats.

In my opinion both of these are better than Val cenis for blue cruising.

Le Napoleon in montgenevre would also be a good option but you have to cross the road to the slopes. I think it also has steps up from the ski room whereas my two recommendations above have really luxurious ski rooms that are piste level and true ski in ski out.
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:

You've summed it up perfectly there about that one steep pitch ruining the day. Pretty much exactly what happened on day one this year. It's completely knocked his confidence for the week.

Some fantastic, informative replies, thank you all so much. I am taking it all on board and it means that I get to indulge in a favourite pastime; ski research.

We'd like slope side accommodation as it's a fair changer this year. It's so convenient to be able to drop the children off at ski school in normal boots and then wander back to kit up in peace. It also means that husband still joins us for lunch as he can get from our apartment to the lunch meeting point in less than 10 minutes via the gondola.

We're here this year, so are very spoiled. We like having an apartment but with hotel facilities. Only a half day of skiing for me today as husband booked me a full body massage in the spa this afternoon. He had one yesterday and said it was glorious. My quads are aching this morning (Day 4 of skiing) so I'm looking forward to that.
Check out Carpe Solem Rauris by ALPS RESORTS on Booking.com! https://www.booking.com/Share-cMcn1I
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
I’d say where’s a resort with an excellent private instructor Smile

Well yes, this too.
ski holidays
All resorts have good instructors and Snowheads is the right place to track one down....
latest report
SHAP wrote:

For Val Cenis

Excellent provision to match request in many aspects. There's a very placid green "L'Escargo" leading down from mid station to base but with initial entry giving visuals more challenging than the rest of the piste which may affect perception of the nervous. It's genuinely very benign apart from that element. You can also download from that point via gondola, making easy option if required. Mid station upward is large bowl-ish all blue very wide open piste with superb gentle piste to absolutely match requirements, all the way to top of pisted area is unusually travelling via blue piste to give scope for whole mountain with early/nervous/progressing skills too. I can't emphasize how relaxing it is for a skier of this type.

Decent choice of levels in accommodation too and with the Maurienne having good cost base in comparison to some of the big headliner named areas to visit.
ski holidays
sheffskibod wrote:
The newer country specific “where to ski and snowboard books “ have a “true blue” rating for nervous skiers like your husband.

Megeve , St Foy , Val D’isere , Tignes and Les deux Alpes in France and Obergurgl in Austria get five out of five …

I have only personally skied VDI and Tignes and would say despite their rep for expert skiers there are a lot of blue and green runs high up which is a good setup. Just don’t let him ski back down to VDI… the home runs are all quite fierce.

Not skied the other resorts so you would need feedback from other SH’s.

Avoriaz doesn’t get a specific rating in the books but Chatel nearby gets 4/5 (and the description does say a true blue skier can get around much of the circuit )

Leaving others to extoll their virtues, that's the other mentioned areas. I'd though endorse St Foy as good choice for the op. With superb principal blue piste going from top of 6pax chair back to base of same, broad, gentle in pitch, and bullseye for progression of skill with nothing to spook anyone skiing it. Good cafè restaurant near bottom to work with family's difference in ability, plus easy return from there to village and avoiding many of the other steeper pitches. Nothing to concern or undermine confidence of nervous skier.
It's compact and excellent for ski non ski interaction as so easy to loop round while leaving someone at village such that you don't get that isolated feeling, pedestrian access to first lift for great lunches there too, skis or not.
Compact but perfectly formed ski area Very Happy with some great character and challenge for the more adventurous skier focus too. ESF here is excellent in our experience of all levels, kids, parents etc, the whole makes for a really relaxed holiday and figures highly in our family experience and others we've introduced to it.

Again, good choice of accommodation sith pool etc and all walk out onto piste convenient.
ski holidays
Having been to sainte foy, Val cenis, la rosiere, Montgenevre and Les Saisies I would say there is far more easy blue/green cruising in the latter three. In terms of accommodation I would say Hotel Alparena or the Alparena apartments in La rosiere would best fit your requirements.
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
SHAP wrote:

For Val Cenis

Excellent provision to match request in many aspects. There's a very placid green "L'Escargo" leading down from mid station to base but with initial entry giving visuals more challenging than the rest of the piste which may affect perception of the nervous. It's genuinely very benign apart from that element. You can also download from that point via gondola, making easy option if required. Mid station upward is large bowl-ish all blue very wide open piste with superb gentle piste to absolutely match requirements, all the way to top of pisted area is unusually travelling via blue piste to give scope for whole mountain with early/nervous/progressing skills too. I can't emphasize how relaxing it is for a skier of this type.

Decent choice of levels in accommodation too and with the Maurienne having good cost base in comparison to some of the big headliner named areas to visit.

That's good to know, Cheers.
snow conditions
Trysil might suit. (Quite a few reviews on here you can check out)

You can get all around the resort on greens and blues. The instruction is very good and all instructors tend to be fluent in English. Its about a 2 1/2 hour trip from Oslo airport on a direct to resort coach. Both the Radissons are ski in/ ski out and have pools (one has a full on spa).

The only downside might be the cost. You should be able to do it for £5k dependant in how much you spend on lessons. Its not huge mileage though, if that’s what you’re after.
ski holidays
Immediate thoughts are:

La Plagne - each village has it's pros and cons. But all have either accommodation on the piste or very close by with access to some of the cruisy-est blues you'll find. Les Arcs could also fit the bill, but I prefer the La Plagne side.

Saalbach - you can cruise around the Ski Circus all day on lovely blues and the town has a lovely vibe to it. Austrian skiing is also just so much more "laid back" as well.

Val Thoren - has a superb learning area on the doorstep and is pretty much all ski-in and out.

The above resorts are "big" and by that I don't just mean wider areas for you and your children to go off into if your hubby wants to call it a day. But I also mean that the runs are wide, and whilst a lot of people will be at those resorts because of the size of the areas the crowds tend to disperse throughout the area. They all have access to things to do off the piste.

I'd actually avoid somewhere like Avoriaz. The immediate pistes around the area are limited and it gets very busy.
latest report
Fridge03 wrote:
Immediate thoughts are:

La Plagne - each village has it's pros and cons. But all have either accommodation on the piste or very close by with access to some of the cruisy-est blues you'll find. Les Arcs could also fit the bill, but I prefer the La Plagne side.

Saalbach - you can cruise around the Ski Circus all day on lovely blues and the town has a lovely vibe to it. Austrian skiing is also just so much more "laid back" as well.

Val Thoren - has a superb learning area on the doorstep and is pretty much all ski-in and out.

The above resorts are "big" and by that I don't just mean wider areas for you and your children to go off into if your hubby wants to call it a day. But I also mean that the runs are wide, and whilst a lot of people will be at those resorts because of the size of the areas the crowds tend to disperse throughout the area. They all have access to things to do off the piste.

I'd actually avoid somewhere like Avoriaz. The immediate pistes around the area are limited and it gets very busy.

Argh! Just when I'd mentioned Avoriaz to husband too and had him on board.

Definitely would like somewhere that skiers can spread out as busy pistes add an element of nerves.

I'm still looking through all the suggestions, and all comments and advice is much appreciated.
snow report
@Owlette, PS. I found Trysil tends to be quiet and the other skiers very well behaved on piste (all tend to be good skiiers but even the teenagers arent hoons) and in the queues (such as they are), if thats a factor for the nervous skier.
snow report
@Owlette your husband sounds exactly like my wife. We're currently staying at the Hotel Alparena in La Rosiere as mentioned by a couple of others, and loving it. Great s/c apartment and excellent spa. We cruise the blues in the mornings then retire to the spa while our offspring rocket around the mountain. It hits all the buttons for us.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Halitosis wrote:
@Owlette your husband sounds exactly like my wife. We're currently staying at the Hotel Alparena in La Rosiere as mentioned by a couple of others, and loving it. Great s/c apartment and excellent spa. We cruise the blues in the mornings then retire to the spa while our offspring rocket around the mountain. It hits all the buttons for us.

Thank you. I tried to look at that this morning via Peak Retreats but the website was playing up. Will be easier to look when we're home and I'm not limited to my phone. Your trip sounds absolutely perfect.

It's really icy conditions here at the moment, so it's probably just as well he's decided not to ski up on the pistes. It's unbelievably slippery on the steeper bits. I went over today and slid on clear ice (it looked like an ice rink). I slid for about 5 feet. Made my way to the edge of the piste and in the time it took me to put my skis back on (I'd had to take then off, too slippery to get up in them), two other people hit the deck in the same place. Further down, on another steep bit, people were going over like skittles.

I gave up and joined hubby on the nursery slope for an hour before collecting the children. All four of us then played on the nursery, with husband and youngest having races. Loads of laughing and fun, and definitely more of what we want. Still a bit icy, but very manageable.
snow report
“Saalbach - you can cruise around the Ski Circus all day on lovely blues and the town has a lovely vibe to it. Austrian skiing is also just so much more "laid back" as well.”

Out of 270 km of pistes, 140 km are graded blue. These obviously encompass a variety of difficulty, from very easy to borderline red. But you can do a complete circuit of the Glemm valley entirely on blue runs, an itinerary that takes a reasonable intermediate skier about three hours.

A nervous early intermediate would probably thrive in particular on the plateau-like upper half of the Bernkogel mountain (accessible by gondola, which can also be used to download). And there are plenty of other relatively easy blues for progression. And there are a couple of decent mountain restaurants at the mid-mountain point, with good views/food, reasonable prices, and deckchairs.

There is plenty of convenient, slopeside accommodation, as well as hotels that allow non-residents to use pools and spa facilities. One nice, friendly, traditionally Austrian 3 star hotel, which a friend is staying in this week, is only 30 meters from the Bernkogel gondola station.

The resort has the fastest and most advanced lift system and highest number of gondolas in the world. Bubbles and heated seats are the norm. The ubiquitous gondolas make it easy for non-skiers and nervous skiers to get up and down the mountains and rendezvous with friends for lunch. I once took a nervous skier all the way to Fieberbrunn and back, using the gondolas to bypass more challenging runs.

If anyone wants a copy of my 20 page, comprehensive guide to the area, P.M. me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy