Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice regarding US skiing

Poster: A snowHead
And re Denver/Vail: In this case you again arrive late afternoon but it's probably best just to pick up the rental car and press on into the mountains. We chose to go to Vail because the base is right by the main highway. I've been to nearby resorts but by the time we'd driven off the highway and up into the mountains, I felt that we might as well have jut pressed on to Vail anyway. Vail was our most expensive ski holiday per head, and that's including New Year full board in a central Verbier hotel. We rented a nice apartment which was a lot cheaper than a hotel and gave us much more living space. The area is massive but very easy to access and has pistes to suit all skill levels. Vail town is strung-out and quite nice but it's still a resort - non-skiers migh get a bit bored after a few days. You can use many hotels' facilities even if you're not resident. It was a bit like Switzerland in that we needed to check prices for bars and restaurants before we sat down or we could get a nasty surprise - but like CH once you know this then you shouldn't get caught out. Bear in mind that Denver is at a high altitude (1600m) and some people get a bit of altitude sickness initially, which if they're also prone to jetlag can make the first few days a bit unrewarding. Personally, I liked Vail a lot, but not enough to endure the flight out and back (I was already in St.Louis on business, so just a short hop, and already adjusted to the time difference).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In 2017 I did a trip to Salt Lake City, staying in SLC near the freeway to Park City and skiing up there. I expected weekend crowds so we spent the weekend in Moab seeing Arches and Canyonlands national parks. I thought this worked out pretty well, and while SLC isn't the most exciting place on the planet it was better than I expected. I've since returned and skied little cottonwood + big cottonwood canyons - where the skiing is definitely better than Park City but the transport situation can be a bit of a shocker. Park City has a fair amount of close to slopes accommodation, too.

I now live in the Bay Area, and don't think Tahoe is reliable enough in terms of snow fall for what you're looking for. Last season for instance had a huge storm around Christmas, and then practically nothing til March. It wasn't great in Colorado either (I spent January there) but we had about 6 days of fresh snow IIRC where Tahoe had none. If there is snow, trying to get down to the Bay Area/Sonoma etc will be more trouble than it's worth in terms of travel time as I80 hits 2200m ASL at Donner Summit and is higher than the base of many (most?) resorts in the Tahoe area. US50 is less exposed, but single lane, and if 80 is closed then 50 will be verrrrry slow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth wrote:
abc wrote:

Jackson Hole should be up on the top of the list. Yellowstone nearby will entertain the oldsters endlessly. Even the ski addicts might be persuaded to give up a day of skiing to do some sightseeing. It’s that good.

Though quite possibly not open. I don't think most of Yellowstone opens until late April.
We went there in Early April this year as we were at a competition in Big Sky, and could only go to Mammoth Hot Springs - was definitively worth a visit, but is the wrong side for Jackson Hole.

Oh it’s open alright, you just can’t drive your car into it! You’ll need to go in on snowmobile, which is an experience in itself. Yellowstone in winter is an entirely different park than what 99% of the tourists see.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I do wonder if your airmiles wouldn't be better used to fund a summer holiday to the US? We've done summer drives from Las Vegas to Denver, and another from Phoenix to San Francisco via Meteor Crater, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Mammoth Mountain and Yosemite. Also the Bay Area as a base to Yosemite and Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay/Napa and Redwood country. And a day flight to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. We've also done Vancouver to Calgary via the Rockies. They've all ben epic, memorable trips. I've only skied in the US because I've already been there, with my wife flying out from the UK a couple of times. I know lots of people will have a different view but for us, we'd prefer to do that long flight for a summer trip, rather than a winter one. It just seems to be that much easier, with longer days, plus more options for what to do. But of course, I can see the attraction of a ski trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LaForet wrote:
I do wonder if your airmiles wouldn't be better used to fund a summer holiday to the US? We've done summer drives from Las Vegas to Denver, and another from Phoenix to San Francisco via Meteor Crater, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Mammoth Mountain and Yosemite. Also the Bay Area as a base to Yosemite and Santa Cruz/Monterey Bay/Napa and Redwood country. And a day flight to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. We've also done Vancouver to Calgary via the Rockies. They've all ben epic, memorable trips. I've only skied in the US because I've already been there, with my wife flying out from the UK a couple of times. I know lots of people will have a different view but for us, we'd prefer to do that long flight for a summer trip, rather than a winter one. It just seems to be that much easier, with longer days, plus more options for what to do. But of course, I can see the attraction of a ski trip.

100% agree with this. I've only ever been to the USA when I've been there for work, and you'll get much better value in summer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
telford_mike wrote:
LaForet wrote:

100% agree with this. I've only ever been to the USA when I've been there for work, and you'll get much better value in summer.

I’m not sure how you define “better value”. It’s completely different scenery in the summer. Completely different activities one can do in the summer. So it really is what the OP values.

‘Summer’, in the proper part of July/August, you’ll be fighting with herds of tourists on the road. Hotels will be booked up just as badly as in winter, or worse. Lines to buy tickets, lines to get food… Add to that wild fires and smoke, I’m not sure I’d personally “value” summer higher than winter.

One bright spot for the OP, if he wants to come Easter, he’ll get the longer days, relatively warm temperature, little to no crowd in either the ski mountain or lodgings.
- Spring skiing in the Tahoe/Mammoth area is often fantastic, with nice sightseeing trip to Death Valley, Mono Lake… the list goes on.
- Snowbird/Alta should still have fantastic skiing. And side trips to the many national parks in southern Utah is out of this world (though the oldsters will have to go away for multiple days)
- But the best for spring trip bar none is Banff in Canada!!! I don’t even know how to begin to list the things one can do on snow and off. 2 weeks? You better have a month! Just go!!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-12-22 0:06; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

I’m not sure how you define “better value”. It’s completely different scenery in the summer. Completely different activities one can do in the summer. So it really is what the OP values.

‘Summer’, in the proper part of July/August, you’ll be fighting with herds of tourists on the road. Hotels will be booked up just as badly as in winter, or worse. Lines to buy tickets, lines to get food… Add to that wild fires and smoke, I’m not sure I’d personally “value” summer higher than winter.

Perfectly fair comment, and a matter of opinion and experience. I'd never pay to go to the States in winter when I can stay in the Alps for way less money, but if you're already there of course, it’s a different proposition.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
telford_mike wrote:
abc wrote:
telford_mike wrote:

Perfectly fair comment, and a matter of opinion and experience. I'd never pay to go to the States in winter when I can stay in the Alps for way less money, but if you're already there of course, it’s a different proposition.

By that same measure, you can stay in the Alps for way less money in the summer too. So why bother crossing the pond?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I started a thread on Jackson Hole v. Whistler in 2021, which is worth having a look through. And in fact, I am in Whistler now (TR is forthcoming, but I’m composing my thoughts as I have some Notes for Europe/UK-based skiers who are considering a North American trip).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn’t bother with Vail.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For US skiing I highly recommend Colorado, especially Breckenridge. Great ski school and separate beginner area, as well as plenty of advanced terrain, wide pistes, and very good snow. You can land into Denver and rent a car there - there are plenty of options at the airport. The resort is about 3 hours away from Denver, and nearby there are also Vail and Keystone if you manage to get bored of Breckenridge. Most Colorado and west coast resorts are on the Epic pass and it’s a pretty good deal if you plan on skiing more than 5 days, but make sure to get one before season starts (sales end at the beginning of December).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
claupoescu wrote:
For US skiing I highly recommend Colorado, especially Breckenridge. Great ski school and separate beginner area, as well as plenty of advanced terrain, wide pistes, and very good snow. You can land into Denver and rent a car there - there are plenty of options at the airport. The resort is about 3 hours away from Denver, and nearby there are also Vail and Keystone if you manage to get bored of Breckenridge. Most Colorado and west coast resorts are on the Epic pass and it’s a pretty good deal if you plan on skiing more than 5 days, but make sure to get one before season starts (sales end at the beginning of December).

@claupoescu, do you work for Vail? How much do they pay you for the false advertising? rolling eyes

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 28-12-22 1:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
telford_mike wrote:
... I'd never pay to go to the States in winter when I can stay in the Alps for way less money, but if you're already there of course, it’s a different proposition.
Interesting. I first rode in the US when I was there for work, but the snow was so radically better (drier powder) that I was left wondering why I'd been wasting time riding in the Alps for so long.

Quote:
However I've never skied in powder (been going twice a year for the past 10 odd years...)
In 140 days you'd expect to have some fresh snow even in Europe. Are you going in mid summer or something ? wink

In Big White last week we were riding waist deep powder down the middle of a piste one day, and cutting fresh lines down the side of the snow park right in the middle of the resort the next. You'd have to work hard to avoid the powder. This week conditions there will be at least as good, with 40cm falling xmas eve as I drove north. Banff is usually thin early season and the people I rode with yesterday said conditions there weren't great.. I think it's best to read around (and don't listen to internet people with axes to grind) to work out where the best chance of snow is. In BC it's easy - mostly just go left early season, right late season. The middle bit is usually ok whatever, but it helps to retain flexibility so you can go where the goods are.

In terms of saving money, I think staying home in the UK is the best approach for that, but it won't use up any points.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
phil_w wrote:
In BC it's easy - mostly just go left early season, right late season. The middle bit is usually ok whatever, but it helps to retain flexibility so you can go where the goods are.

Is that looking from the top down, or bottom up, or... wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
claupoescu wrote:

@claupoescu, do you work for Vail? How much do they pay you for the false advertising? rolling eyes

No, I’ve just had a really good time at breck. Snow was better than anything on the east coast or resorts around Tahoe. Learned to buy a pass in advance the hard way.
snow conditions
@phil_w, I know, we're very unlucky! I don't know of many people who go to Whistler for 16/17 days in February and have no fresh powder at all...
ski holidays
claupoescu wrote:
abc wrote:
claupoescu wrote:

No, I’ve just had a really good time at breck. Snow was better than anything on the east coast or resorts around Tahoe. Learned to buy a pass in advance the hard way.

Sorry for coming down hard on you.

But your post contains 2 (or3?) glaring errors:

- Vail only operates 2 resorts “around Tahoe”, hardly “most resorts” out of nearly 10! In Colorado, Vail operates 4 resorts, out of a total of approximately 20!!!

- depends on which Vail mountain, the break even point maybe as little as 4 or as much as 10.
snow report
Vail operates 3 resorts around Tahoe which is more than Alterra and gives a North South split.

But back to the OP research the Epic and Ikon pass resorts - identify preferred candidates ( or even road trip) then research accomodation. You will pay very dearly for close in accomodation and particularly high prices in Vail, Beaver Creek and Aspen and it is best to secure early. Lodging can be found within 30 mins drive to the slopes significantly cheaper ( and more in line with Euro prices. Once you've done all that then look at flights.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Vail operates 3 resorts around Tahoe which is more than Alterra and gives a North South split.
ski holidays

Kirkwood isn’t exactly “around Tahoe”. It’s well over an hour away. And if counting all of the resorts away from Tahoe, that’s upward of easily 15-20 resorts. Vail only has 3! Far from “most resorts in Tahoe are on Epic pass”! rolling eyes

As for Alterra, it’s irrelevant.

The point is, Vail resorts in Tahoe doesn’t really match the OP’s requirement. So @claupoescu’s post reads more like a blanket marketing rather than helpful advice.
ski holidays
abc wrote:

Kirkwood isn’t exactly “around Tahoe”. It’s well over an hour away. And if counting all of the resorts away from Tahoe, that’s upward of easily 15-20 resorts. Vail only has 3! Far from “most resorts in Tahoe are on Epic pass”! rolling eyes

As for Alterra, it’s irrelevant.

The point is, Vail resorts in Tahoe doesn’t really match the OP’s requirement. So @claupoescu’s post reads more like a blanket marketing rather than helpful advice.

80 minutes from Tahoe City, 35 from Sth Lake Tahoe, its considered one of the Lake Tahoe ski areas Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Bones wrote:

80 minutes from Tahoe City, 35 from Sth Lake Tahoe, its considered one of the Lake Tahoe ski areas Madeye-Smiley

I think you meant miles in distance, not minutes by car.
snow report
abc wrote:
Bones wrote:

I think you meant miles in distance, not minutes by car.

Nope having stayed in Tahoe City and drove to Kirkwood a number of times, 80 minutes was time taken approx, 40 minutes to Sth Lake

Distance is around 65 miles IIRC - obviously going around Emerald Bay Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy