Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Code for £75 off CARV

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a notification come up on my Carv app offering £75 off.

It says all you need to do is enter code “Justin Time” at the checkout.

I’ve no idea if there are other discounts available but £75 seems pretty generous to me. Might be useful for snowheads thinking of getting themselves a late Xmas present.

I think code expires 2nd Jan or something like that.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
happy christmas Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be interested to hear what people think of the Carv. Will be trying mine for the first time in Meribel in two weeks' time
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used it in Banff this year for the first time (outdoors). I found it a really useful tool - it helped me focus on technique on runs where I might otherwise have cruised lazily around, and it gave me external feedback on areas which through lessons I'd identified as needing work.

Far less useful off the groomed runs of course, but I'm glad I got it. Will certainly be using it when we return to Banff in Feb.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I like mine. In my opinion they come into their own those times when you end up skiing by yourself for a few hours and can concentrate on the drills etc.

But also when pootling around with a group of slower skiers. Challenging yourself on edge angle etc can add fun to skiing which otherwise might be a little dull - having said that I don’t think there is really any such thing as dull skiing!

Obviously no alternative to getting proper instruction etc…
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kerb wrote:
Just had a notification come up on my Carv app offering £75 off.

It says all you need to do is enter code “Justin Time” at the checkout.

I was debating getting Carv, but no combination of discount code (caps, not caps, space etc) worked...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, app also gives a QR code. Not sure if this would work?

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Leonard Smalls wrote:

I was debating getting Carv, but no combination of discount code (caps, not caps, space etc) worked...

I just tried the QR code on my phone and it seems to work!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I like mine. I don’t really do the drills as always skiing with pals. I use the play back feature on lifts to see if my score has improved after each run.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dear Snowheads,

Is there anybody else who has never heard of Carv and has no idea what it is? Laughing

Is it something that all the kids are using, like this Tik Tok thing?

Yours sincerely,

D. Inosaur
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Dear Snowheads,

Is there anybody else who has never heard of Carv and has no idea what it is? Laughing

Yours sincerely,

D. Inosaur

Me. I've no idea what it might be, without googling it... rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict wrote:
Dear Snowheads,

Yours sincerely,

D. Inosaur

It seems to be a computer to tell you how much fun you’re having. Not required, I think. I don't know of a single kid who has it, and if the yoof aren’t using it, it probably has no chance.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pretty interesting concept. You get sensors to put in each of your ski boots. They are similar to a footbed. You then get real time feedback on your skiing to help improve balance, edge angle etc.

If you like gadgets and skiing you will really like carv.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Though the discount link worked, I've decided not to buy as it'll still be £200 with a year's "6 day" subscription...
Shall spend the money on a joint lesson for spouse'n'I, and the rest on hookers'n'coke.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Grantley1988, How does the gadget know where more or less edge angle might have been better? How can it tell if you were clean carving or slightly slipping the ski in a turn? How can it tell if you _wanted_ to be clean carving or slightly slipping the ski in a turn?
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@Grantley1988, How does the gadget know where more or less edge angle might have been better? How can it tell if you were clean carving or slightly slipping the ski in a turn? How can it tell if you _wanted_ to be clean carving or slightly slipping the ski in a turn?

There is a motion sensor and 30 odd sensors in each boot from memory. I couldn’t tell you much more than that!

You can set drills which are on the app. The questions you’ve asked are probably covered on there.

Most people would be sceptical of these but I’ve found them to be helpful and would say it’s improved my skiing.
ski holidays
Is there any way to use these in a Snowdome? I read before that there wasn't but wondered if anything had changed, and can't see anything on their website.
ski holidays
endoman wrote:
Is there any way to use these in a Snowdome? I read before that there wasn't but wondered if anything had changed, and can't see anything on their website.

They used to rely on GPS but for a while now they have worked without.

Obviously slightly limited in that you can only get a dozen decent turns in a fridge - precluding some of the challenges and coaching which need 20 plus turns. But I found having the balance, pressure, edge angle, etc monitors made skiing indoors a little more interesting. And also the consistent short slope made for good comparison run to run - in the same way as fridges can be surprisingly productive for real life coaching sessions.
snow report
Worth noting that CARV website offers a 100 day “return for any reason” policy.

And I have to say 100 days should cover most of a season…

I guess most people end up keeping them otherwise they wouldn’t be able to make that offer!
latest report
Chaletbeauroc wrote:

It just measures pressure in different areas of the foot. In terms of being able to estimate when your ski is on an edge it's probably pretty decent. But there are pretty big flaws as a coaching tool - it has no idea what the rest of your body is doing.
snow report
kerb wrote:
endoman wrote:

They used to rely on GPS but for a while now they have worked without.

Obviously slightly limited in that you can only get a dozen decent turns in a fridge - precluding some of the challenges and coaching which need 20 plus turns. But I found having the balance, pressure, edge angle, etc monitors made skiing indoors a little more interesting. And also the consistent short slope made for good comparison run to run - in the same way as fridges can be surprisingly productive for real life coaching sessions.

Ta, may give it a go especially with the 100 day thing. The 3mm thick is the only thing that worries me as boots are snug anyway.
latest report
@boarder2020, Yes, obviously it has its limitations. For me, one of the most glaring is that it's not going to be able to diagnose an actual issue or problem which may be addressed by using the data it's analysing. And therefore there's no way of knowing if you're actually improving - just because you're getting 'better' results from the boot sensors doesn't mean you're skiing any better.

Or so it would seem, from someone who's never actually used it.
snow conditions
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
@boarder2020, Yes, obviously it has its limitations. For me, one of the most glaring is that it's not going to be able to diagnose an actual issue or problem which may be addressed by using the data it's analysing. And therefore there's no way of knowing if you're actually improving - just because you're getting 'better' results from the boot sensors doesn't mean you're skiing any better.

Or so it would seem, from someone who's never actually used it.

Yep I've made the same point previously. You could end up picking up bad habits chasing a carv score that may or may not relate to actual ski performance. E.g. carv says your weight is too far back, so you start over hinging at the waist to push your weight forward, when in fact your knee/ankle angles were the problem.

I don't think it's a bad tool overall, providing you understand it's (quite big) limitations. It provides an extra level of feedback that you could use in combination with other things. I suspect it helps just by making people focus a bit more too, when they otherwise might mentally switch off a bit.
snow report
I just re-read some of the older threads about this device and see a lot of the issues have been previously raised, and that the makers themselves accept that it's best used in conjunction with a proper coach rather than a substitute. They also seem to be aiming it at race-level coaching, where such minutiae are routinely used in individual athletes' training, and I can certainly see how it could be a useful tool in some circumstances.

What I don't get is those people who claim it makes skiing more fun. I suppose gadget-heads will always be gadget-heads. Whatever floats your boat.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
What I don't get is those people who claim it makes skiing more fun. I suppose gadget-heads will always be gadget-heads. Whatever floats your boat.

You are 100% correct. In general nothing is more fun than skiing itself (apart from snowboarding of course), but there are those times (skiing by yourself for an afternoon in poor vis etc) when something like CARV can indeed provide a little extra enjoyment - if you enjoy that sort of thing!
latest report
The second outing using Carv yesterday, last time was the end of the season April 22.

I should add, and a few on here may know, that I don't ski the piste that often, especially on piste skis*, opting for ski touring/cross country, and if I'm skiing the piste, it's invariably after having been off-piste and I'm just skiing back to a lift/resort on something with a waist over 105.

So I would certainly not class myself as a good carving piste skier etc

Last year when I first used Carv I was using an old pair of piste skis and since then I've "invested" in these.

And as I hoped my IQ score did go up, and twas quite an intense work-out, and was a great way to piste ski, with words of encouragement going on through my Blue-tooth earbuds.

My game plan whilst at the SIGB SkiTest in La Clusaz for a few days next week, is to use Carv with skis that I'm testing to see if there's any significant improvement in my scores, and then will that be down to the skis or me just skiing better, and I'll report back on that, and my impressions of Carv, which are very positive after yesterday.

My OH, again not an enthusiastic piste skier, bought some piste skis last season and skied five or so sessions on them, this is her review.

*way back when I was an avid piste skier, days of Rossingnol 207 4S Equippe's I used to do Ali Ross courses.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy