Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

car rent in Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

We are going for a month in Italy, Aosta valley - staying in AirBnB and driving to resorts nearby. One of the unknowns for us is what to do about car hire.

1) Has anyone rented a car for an extensive period of time in Italy on a budget? Very Happy How expensive was it in the end?
2) Which budget rental would you suggest? I found older threads suggesting Sixt and Hertz, but they are several times more expensive than other rentals I find googling, and out of our budget and way more expensive than even our accommodation.
3) As I understood from other threads, we can fit 170-180 cm skis in most mid-size cars, such as Opel Corsa. Our friend has skis that are about 195cm long - will they fit too?
4) What are specifics on paying tolls?
5) If we go to France for 1-2 days during this period, what do we need to do about our car hire? I see car rentals suggest to add some "international" package for about 100euros, is it what we need?
6) I see that we need to fight for winter tyres and explicitly ask for them, got it.

Happy holidays to everyone!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not just drive the whole way?

That's what we're doing to Val Gardena.

Ferry is £200, but I'm paying 1/3 that with Tesco vouchers. Staying in Dover Friday, early ferry Saturday. Driving back to Ypres Saturday, mid morning ferry Sunday. If you want a car there for a month, got to be worth considering.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree with @Gilgamesh, assuming you are UK based and if you're going for a month, taking your own car would probably make sense if you have one. Especially if you can fill it and share costs. Valle d'Aosta is the nearest part of Italy to the UK.

But to answer your Qs:

1. Prices change all the time, try Skyscanner or Kayak to do comparisons for your dates. I've had cars in Italy in Winter for £100-150 a week from the bigger suppliers, but since Covid prices have been higher.

2. Sixt and Hertz are often more expensive. I've had good value rentals with Locauto (local agent of Alamo/Enterprise) in Italy and no issue with scams. Some cheaper companies in Italy & Spain have poor reputations.

3. You might struggle with 195s in a Corsa, maybe they would fit through the middle, but depends how many seats you need. Corsa is small, Astra/Golf/Focus is mid-size. I've found 175s fit diagonally in a Golf with one rear seat down.

4. If you use a toll road, you need to pay, simple as that. The autostrada A5 in Aosta Valley is a flat fee of around €25 from Aosta Ovest to Mont Blanc tunnel. You can see toll prices if you use viaMichelin route planner. https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Routes

5. You will need to check the terms of the company. Each one has different rules about crossing borders. Some allow it for free, some charge extra, some don't allow it at all. You will certainly need their permission as you may not be covered by insurance if something happens. You will also need to pay Mont Blanc tunnel fee (approx €60 return) assuming you use it to go to France.

6. In Valle d'Aosta you need to have winter tyres fitted or snow chains in your boot from 15th Oct to 15th April. Most car hire companies based at airports in N Italy include chains for no extra, some have cars with winter tyres, almost always at extra cost. You need to check what is on offer from the various companies when you book. You might get lucky like I did last year at Verona and get given a car with snow tyres for no extra. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
6) I see that we need to fight for winter tyres and explicitly ask for them, got it.
Winter tyres not the norm, and will attract a supplement unfortunately., I think the poor relative of winter tyres ...chains ..obligatory at Italian Alpine airports

You are unlikely to fit 195cm skis in a corsa . bring a tape measure to your local Opal dealer and try

I've had good value rentals with Locauto (local agent of Alamo/Enterprise) in Italy and no issue with scams. Some cheaper companies in Italy & Spain have poor reputations...... Agreed re Locuato and other low cost rentals , just make sure you have your own car excess insurance , check MSE for best deals

Often overlooked , ask you car hire co to demo how to put snow chains on, or check youtube, you dont want to learn in in the dark, with a torch from a phone , on a dark snowy alpine road
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

ask you car hire co to demo how to put snow chains on

Laughing Buona fortuna.....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

ask you car hire co to demo how to put snow chains on

Laughing Buona fortuna.....

Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If when you do have to put chains on snow is actually falling, life is much easier if you can find a petrol station and complete the task under their canopy!
It used to be "use Marigold gloves" but nowadays most people have a fistful of vinyl gloves (thank you coronathingy!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

vinyl gloves

which are perfect for getting thrown away after they've been nicked in the hooky chainy things. They're not remotely warm. Quickest to use bare hands and have an old bit of towel to wipe them in. Or your jeans.
And don't use your best ski jacket to reach round the back of the wheel.

And above all, thank the Lord that it's snowing hard enough to need chains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy