Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lateral Malleolus Fracture with possible Osteoporosis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I broke my lateral malleolus (very low fibula) on the 9th Dec whilst skiing, low speed on a green piste ( Eh oh! ) but bad visibility and I was on NTN tele kit. Common verdict was it should not have broken. Am being followed up for bone density issues given my age. But my question given my fracture clinic appointment today in the UK is:

Consultant is saying 3 months to heal, physio won't help. Cast came off today and am in a walking boot, still pain if I weigh bear too much but am starting to weight bear. Next appointment in 4 weeks. Listen to my ankle,

Looks like my Jan ski trip is off the cards but am really hoping to make a March trip.

Has anyone had experience of this type of break with osteoporosis issues? Any recommendations on rehab to get back to normal activities (skiing, running, cycling, dog walking, yoga) asap?

I'm mindful of the fact that whilst the NHS are great (and as soon as the fracture clinic were aware of my situation fitted me in quickly) the staff are under a huge amount of pressure to move people through ASAP. When I had a double knee op a few years ago, the advice from the Ortho consultant was to give up anything above a walk Eh oh! I am interested to hear of other peoples' experiences of rehab from this type of injury.

Thanks in advance for any input Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you can weight bear already, I'd say you are doing well. I had a relatively low-trauma pelvic fracture (ski collision) and subsequently found to have osteopenia (bone thinning but not as bad as osteoporosis). I can't remember exactly how long before I skied again, but certainly the same season, so you might well be fine for March. But the fracture was straightforward and healed well - I was fortunate. No "physio" as such, just getting gradually back into every day things, and being very conscious of not "limping", which meant walking slower than I was used to. I did some self-prescribed exercises, just the obvious things, to get everything moving again.

Good luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, thanks for the quick reply and positive vibes for getting back on the slopes this season Toofy Grin . It's a clean fracture so fingers crossed but I'm my own worst enemy in trying to get myself fit quickly Embarassed. Other half is already spending lots of time trying to slow me down snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Other half is already spending lots of time trying to slow me down

That makes sense. A fall bad enough to fracture something will also have caused some soft tissue effects. Just take it easy and focus a bit on general mobilisation - all that sitting around and moving awkwardly takes it toll, on top of the initial trauma.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sueymagoo, oh no!

I did mine many years ago and long term its the soft tissue damage thats been the problem. It now dislocates at the drop of a hat.

Cycling has always been relatively safe exercise for me as the ankle is held flat with no lateral rotation Though be careful putting your foot down (or unclipped if you've got cleats) if thats the side you use. Running (and dog walking) the riskiest. Skiing even when I've recently hurt it has been OK. The boot (if you can get it on/off) is a pretty good brace; a friend skied 10 weeks after breaking hers. Walking was still difficult but had been cycling. We used a hairdryer before boot removal to make it a bit easier.

I think @Seahoob, broke his a coulple of years ago in Gressoney so might have useful experience'.

Hope you heal fast.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sueymagoo,
@adithorp, Is right, I have broken both ankles, one side with SCGB and the other with Snowheads rolling eyes
The second break which happened about four years ago was slow to heal due to low bone density. This was revealed with a scan and treated with vitamin D tablets. Low levels of vitamin D are very common, especially at this time of year so it is probably a good idea to boost yours.

Take rehab slowly, once your support is not needed, I found uneven surfaces difficult to walk on for quite a while and did not run until everything felt strong. Cycling was good and did not cause pain, I started while I was still wearing my support boot and, as Adi says, it is low impact.

Take it easy and don't force yourself back before you feel strong.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@adithorp, @Seahoob,

I hope you guys both had a fab Christmas Very Happy and thank you both for your replies and helpful input.

The fracture happened whilst I was in ski boots (albeit not my own) so am having bone density tests. Thanks for the tip on Vit D, will follow that up. Good news is that the cast is off Laughing bad news is I am now in one of those hideous walking boot contraptions which is making the fracture site sore and I've got delayed reactions on listening to my ankle when I am "free" walking" Embarassed

Will get the bike set up on the turbo trainer initially to get ROM back and then up the gearing before I hit the road (I live at the bottom of a hill rolling eyes ).

Did either of you have physio? If so, at what stage did you commence it?

Wishing you both a very happy new year and hopefully see you both on a bash later this season snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My injury was so long ago I don't really remember what physio I had. Think I was just given some stretching exercises to do... that I probably didn't do rolling eyes

These days I do balance exercises to help with stability.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As one gets older, those are probably the most important exercises of the lot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sueymagoo, For my first break I had a plaster cast on for over eight weeks, consequently I needed more rehab. This did not start until at least two weeks after the cast had come off. I was very lucky and was offered two weeks at The Fire Service Charity's convalescent home in Penrith. This made rehab a breeze.

The second break was less severe and I was fitted with a removable boot, like you, consequently the rehab required was much less. I just concentrated on the type of exercises I had learned in Penrith.

Take it slow and don't push yourself too hard.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy