Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Becoming instructor without teaching experience?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
And of course the ESF has long done this - but maybe only for kids?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@theriel,

CSIA level 1 (and I think 2) don't require teaching hours, or at least it didnt when mrsH did it - though learning how to teach is an important part of the course/cert. She also had no intention to teach, but did it out of interest, and due to crappy conditions when she booked it - turns out my decision to not do it and ending up skiing pow all week was also a good one snowHead

I think she found it useful, especially some years later when teaching our kids when they were starting out; though I like to think I did ok without needing any CSIA certs wink (I do have an IFSA one, which is useful, but primarily for understanding competitive freeride and general coaching stuff)

Personally I'd tend to agree with most of the feedback in the previous replies. There are probably better ways if self improvement is the main goal.
For even better ability appraisal you could try TGR? wink Twisted Evil

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 23-12-22 15:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Do we have anyone who has used Carv and could report on their experience?

I've been using them for a couple of years now.

I'm not a good skier, came to it far too late in life, but the Carvs are helping me improve.

If my skiing was one week a year I'd likely have lessons instead but we're away for a couple of months each year. I usually ski by myself and having the ongoing feedback is useful if I want to work on something.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with everyone else that teaching qualification is not much use if you have zero interest in teaching and your goal is simply improving your own skiing.

Best suggestion is doing some kind of racing. Nothing else is going to quantify performance as much. You could set the goal of passing the eurotest.

I get your want for structured, measurable improvement. However, I'd argue it's not that difficult or vague to feel/see improvements. Especially if you are skiing off-piste and relatively technical lines.

Regarding carv it certainly gives you some measured numbers. How much those numbers correlate with ski performance/improvement is a question I don't believe has been fully answered. It's always going to be limited in that it only tells you what's going on at the end point (foot pressure).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boarder2020 wrote:
You could set the goal of passing the eurotest.

I thought that you needed to be a member of an instructor certification body to be able to enter a Eurotest.

There are other race series that an adult can enter though.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 23-12-22 15:33; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You could set the goal of passing the eurotest.

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I once had an interesting chat, on a T-bar on the Grande Motte, with a qualified French high mountain guide who was training to take the Eurotest for the third time......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
And of course the ESF has long done this - but maybe only for kids?

ESF also have adult classes levels 1-4 and then competition nd off piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@theriel, how close are you to the standard required to pass a Level 1 exam? If you think you are close you could do a Level 1 exam without needing any shadowing hours beforehand. You’ll get a week of training, feedback and continuous assessment, all of which will be useful, and then you can decide whether to go forward with shadowing hours (easily done at a dry slope or indoor slope if you have one near) and progress to L2. If you don’t think you are at the entry point to an L1 course you should probably focus on finding a a good ski school or a few instructors who you can work with as you progress towards instructor exams (if that’s what you want).

If your priority is to get external validation of your improvement without the shadowing requirements of exams, my advice would be to find a good ski school or a few instructors who you can work with as your skiing progresses. Their feedback and video analysis will show your improvement, and should help you tune in to your internal feedback on how your are skiing. Ultimately it is this which will be more important in your skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I actually think the OP may be missing an opportunity by discounting any interest in teaching. Although I started the qualification journey mostly to improve my own skiing, I have found that not only do I very much enjoy the teaching aspect but that I also have learnt a huge amount from teaching. The technical understanding you need to be any good at teaching intermediate and above skiers is immensely helpful and finding ways of imparting that insight to others deepens your own understanding. All that being said it is interesting that I now most enjoy teaching adult beginners and early intermediates, it is such a joy to start others on their own journey in our sport.

I am also a qualified spey casting instructor, and did that purely to judge/improve my own performance. But the same thing happened and I found the teaching of others helpful in my own journey. And I absolutely love doing it.

Something to think about.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 23-12-22 17:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@theriel, Are you based in the UK? There are plenty of Race Clubs on dry slopes and Snowdomes who can give you year-round learning.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy