Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question regarding damaged snowboard rental

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I’m from the United States and while here in Italy, I went snowboarding for the first time a couple days ago and rented out snowboards. We only went up to the bunny hill before calling it quits and having to leave for the trip. We returned the snowboard yesterday (their equipment office was closed), and I received a call today saying that I had damaged their board and now owe 200 euros.

Attached is a picture they sent me of the damage.

https://snipboard.io/w3eLbl.jpg

Is all that normal? I don’t know much about snowboarding but am surprised they could be damaged just by the bunny slope. Is 200 euros the normal rate for a repair or can this board not be repaired and needs to be replaced?

Would appreciate any advice, may have to bite the bullet if this is normal.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 22-12-22 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Password12346, Hi, welcome to snowHeads. Shame your first post is about a negative experience.
Is all that normal? I'd say no, abnormal. Certainly not unprecedented though. I was charged for damage to skis once but knew they'd taken a battering on small rocks and stones, when early season snow cover was thin.
I can't get the image from that link you posted. Did you have any idea the board had damage? Did you give the board a look over to check for damage before taking it?
What do the Ts & Cs of your rental agreement specify? Did they take your credit/debit card details as guarantee against non-return or damage?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The link worked for me, and that's quite an extensive gouge right next to the edge, so will be difficult to repair.

I'm surprised you didn't notice it when it happened; it's not consistent with just a stone on the piste, looks more like you rode down a big rock or a concrete step.

Unlucky, and I've no idea if it's normal or indeed legal to charge you, but I don't think the amount itself is unreasonable.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 23-12-22 10:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads, @Password12346. snowHead I could see the picture and it does look damaged, but.....?

It's always worth taking the very cheap "insurance" offered by rental places. But that's not much use to you now, sorry. Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you all much for the welcome and your honesty. Indeed, a bit saddened that my first time snowboarding came to be like this, but I hope for better experiences in the future.

Seems unlikely that we damaged it just from using it on the bunny slope Twisted Evil , but was it possible we damaged it while carrying it to and from the rental place?

I was not given any rental agreement at the time it was signed, and I do not believe they have more credit card information on file. The right thing to do might be to just pay the fee, if it seems like it is a reasonable price.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Password12346 wrote:

Seems unlikely that we damaged it just from using it on the bunny slope Twisted Evil , but was it possible we damaged it while carrying it to and from the rental place?

Very unlikely. A significant amount of force would be required, running along the edge. Difficult to imagine it happening without the weight of a human on top of it, certainly not something you could have done without being aware of it.

This sort of damage is not that unusual, consistent with catching a rock of some sort while riding. Never seen it on a board but have done similar damage, although not normally so extreme, on skis many times over the years.

Oh, and just because you were on a "bunny" slope doesn't necessarily make rocks any less likely or damaging.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like the sharp steel edge of another ski or board has run down the topside of the top sheet .
This exact type of damage if I have viewed it correctly is very common on used boards so some of it may have already existed as it looks quiet long but it is hard to tell without a picture of the whole topsheet.

The shop will just seal the cosmetic damage up and re rent it ....when they get round to it .
Used Rentals have low value as so much good gear is available used today

Do you have a photo of the whole board .....as most rentals are worth very little although this may not come into the contract you agreed too .

If 200eu is in the contract for any damage then I imagine they will take it off your credit or debit card so you then would then have to fight it through your card provider .

I would try fighting it no matter what ...as 200eu is excessive unless its a brand new 2023 burton rental model .
Even if it was brand new then 50-75 euro would be my offer and id start low at 20 euro

The board was in your care but by the looks of the damage in the photo .....its a little to nothing Topsheet scuff.

Another photo of the whole board would put the damage lenght into perspective and indicate the rental boards age brand year etc
Also did you look at it for damage when you rented it..... Im guessing not if you have no idea how it happened in the first place .

Hope you get it sorted out

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 22-12-22 22:35; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Typical italy when you rent anything & dont take their insurance product.
Rental cars is another one they like to try & sting people with. Tell them to do one. They are just trying it on.
Where did you return the board to? You say the equipment shop was closed, but someone would have accepted it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like a bit of minor top sheet damage - another board or ski hitting in the queue or something? Not an unusual bit of damage for rental gear I would think.

Easy to fix, just slap a bit of epoxy on it. I would tell them to go away unless they have your card details.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hang11 wrote:
Looks like a bit of minor top sheet damage

You're right; my earlier comments were misplaced, I thought it was the base, but a closer look shows otherwise.

So yeah, eu200 is way OTT.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
<shrug> I wasn't there, but if it was me, I'd know if I damaged the board or not. I doubt the board cost them that much new. Without looking at it I can't tell how much use it's had already. Without an independent quote I can't tell the repair cost.

Why did they not notice the damage when you took the thing back? That's their responsibility. They can't prove that's the board you had, or that you damaged it. You could also check the date and time of the photo (should be in the exif data) - if that's not precisely when you returned the board, you have them bang to rights in what would be fraud. How do they or you know that was the board you had even?

If you're honest, then I'd tell them the truth - that the board was not damaged when you returned it, and you and their staff know that. End of story. Watch your credit card bills in case they try it on, but if they do, simply charge back their stuff (including the rental cost in that case), and let them suck it up. They won't be coming for you, but if they did, they'd lose.

If you are honest, then it's a scam. I never pay their "insurance", but I do take photos before and after, and that seems to make them understand I'm a hard target, hence I never had anyone try this. If you didn't do the damage, then you don't need to pay any of this.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cosmetic damage to the topsheet, possibly caused when you & a mate crashed into each other?
It won't affect the way the board rides & the shop will rent it straight back out & possibly sting the next renter for the same damage.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
To my non-expert eye, the damage looks fresh. So it seems reasonable that you damaged the board. However, 200 eur is very steep for top sheet damage. If it were on the base, it might be difficult to repair, but as it is, i'd say 50eur tops
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't pay that charge, if they are renting boards out early season they should expect damage. I would contact your credit card company and fill out the chargeback forms.
As far as I know, you should only be charged if you blow the metal edge out, which you have not done. It's a rip off! The amount is also extortionate, they probably get a new board for that price, cost.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy