Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am see easy reds please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm learning to ski and now on my week 3 (40 year old woman and slow to learn Eh oh! ).
I'm in zell and would like to try out my first red runs, could anyone suggest which might be a good start for me please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
11 and 12 for a start. safe little loop and you can bail back down 10 & 9a to the back side of Schmittenhoe and blue coloured safety.

If you find they are OK then head over down 15 and do the 15 16 17 18 loops in Sonnenalm proper. BUT do it in the mornng because as Sonnenalm is south facing and it gets more cut up and trickier in the afternoon (and you legs get more tired). the red bit of 2 is also fine, quite wide which helps.

avoid 6 especially late in the day - too busy and cut up.

21 down the back to Vierhofen and the zellamseeXpress lift is a proper tough red, narrow and steep at the top corner and has some steep stuff lower down so not one to start off on. If you were going to ski over to Vierhofen and Saalbach then I would take the gondola down rather than ski that if you're not confident.

if the Pinzgauer Hutte is open (off run Cool its worth a visit good food and oom-pah music, they drag you back up to the slopes behind a skiddoo!

Caveat I haven't been for a few years but have refreshed my memory looking at the piste plan
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you @t44tomo, thats amazing advice. I did try the short Red 2 which was fine. I hoped to do the 11 and 12 but didn't get chance yesterday and today the conditions aren't good, rainy up top. But I'll keep hold of your tips for our next trip to zell.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad you replied, I was getting slightly worried you'd mistaken 12 for 21 and were being airlifted off the slopes Very Happy
enjoy the rest of your hols.

also not sure why a Cool appeared, Pinzgauer hutte is off run 8.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For first red.... defo bottom section of 2 below (the top section from top of Hirshkogel above Glocknerhaus restaurant is a bit steep and sometimes icy, without the option of traversing out to an easier blue), and also red 8 is wide and runs alongside blue 8 - just a bit more concave (but you can take a look from the run next door or Kappelbahn lift and make a decision). Red 1 is okay too as I recall. 11 is a track that opens onto a steeper wider pitch above the Sonnengrat Bahn, it's ok, but can get a bit chopped up on the lower section (my wife really doesn't like it). The reds on the Sonnkogel side above bottom station of Sonnkogelbahn and Hochmaisbahn are wide and lovely (better before they've had too much sun), if you don't fancy 11 you can downlift on Trass express and walk across to the Sonnenalmbahn to uplift, then take one of the chairs e.g. Hochmaisbahn. Avoid the red 21 as @t44tomo said. I'd also avoid the reds under Arietexpress (first section) and run 20. They are really slushy when it's warm and I've heard they can be really icy at other times (with fresh groomed snow they're lovely, but red 4 in particular has some steep sections).

@t44tomo, 8 ) without the space is the emoji code for Cool....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy