Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Revolut Warning

Poster: A snowHead
Quick heads up.
Avia Langres.
Declined transaction.
Still took 200eu from account. Won't be refunded for 2 weeks.
That's my money you bast***s
Best not to use prepay cards for fuel!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried their help? Unhelpful?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martinperry wrote:
Quick heads up.
Avia Langres.
Declined transaction.
Still took 200eu from account. Won't be refunded for 2 weeks.
That's my money you bast***s

I always do and have never encountered a problem. They of course do happen. Hopefully the funds are released a lot earlier than 2 weeks for you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
5 days and counting.
They won't do anything for seven days apparently.
Don't understand how a declined transaction can hit the card though?
I'm generally very happy with revolut, but this is a serious flaw.
Had my Santander card declined by the same pump. Didn't appear on the statement
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ive had this happen. Some glitch in their system, but they won’t do a damn thing about it and their “help” is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Likewise never had it happen with ANY other provider I have used.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I heard a report recently on Money Box Live about Revolut's customer service, which convinced me not to ever bother with them.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not specific to Revolut, but I've seen notices posted on French self-serve petrol pumps explaining that foreign debit cards will be pre-charged the EU200, which will then be refunded later. Whether this was made clear on that specific pump is another question altogether.

No idea why it was declined, of course, but it's really not wholly Revolut's fault.

And no, I don't know why they have to do it that way.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chaletbeauroc, Probably takes a while to check if there are sufficient funds in the debit card account.

Declined transaction is bizarre though, after taking €200 and still not allowing fuel.
- probably security.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinperry wrote:

that's reasonably common knowledge isn't it when abroad?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Had similar before. Tried 4 times before using a non prepaid card. & 4 times the money was locked until the transaction expired.
Fuel stations take a fixed amount and then only the final amount is debited. No prepay cards can handle this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
“take a fixed amount” is a debit transaction, which is probably cancelled or refunded.

How much was on the card to begin with?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Italy is the worst for paying for petrol i a petrol station. None of my regular CC or debit cards worked. Only Revolut did. I am now avoiding any self-service petrol stations.
Used revolut exclusively for paying for petrol while in Japan in 2018 and 2020. Not a single issue.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've found card doesn't work in pumps in NA at least - have to prepay a known amount at cashier. But that's not much hassle.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
t44tomo wrote:
martinperry wrote:

that's reasonably common knowledge isn't it when abroad?

News to me, but I've always used proper credit cards in the past.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AFD transactions work in a different way as alluded to above. You swipe your card in the pump at tesco's, if pre-auths typically 99 quid. You fill up with 50, the computers work it out and the actual debited amount should match what you spent.

Plenty of other scenarios where a transaction could hit the end bank account be approved, but then fail for other reasons in the source providers transaction system (various fraud, money laundering, avs checks). Shouldn't really happen in most cases as transaction and referential integrity checks should ensure that the whole transaction is completed before committing said transaction to the end bank, but that relies on no glitches or gaps in the end to end processing. You should be able to raise a dispute directly with your bank (revolut in this case) who (should) credit your account balance within 2 working days (even if not made as available funds to withdraw).
ski holidays
Should have added, if you raise a dispute directly with retailer/shop, that's where the 2 weeks usually come from as they have to raise it with their provider who then have to request a refund which is the 14 day period, even in most cases if they swipe your card for a 'refund' as that will have to run through their settlement processing at a merchant level.

Quick to take the money, but slower to return.
snow report
It's normal practice in France for an amount to be held off your card and the balance refunded a few days after the transaction. Bit of a pain but that's how they operate. There are a number of places here where our UK cards wont work properly unless you pick English from the language options when you first put the card in.
ski holidays
AL9000 wrote:
“take a fixed amount” is a debit transaction, which is probably cancelled or refunded.

How much was on the card to begin with?

Have you used a card at a fuel station recently?
Tesco for example pre-auth is currently £120 - It will pre-auth/secure the funding before dispensing fuel.
snow report
I have no experience of buying fuel in Europe with debit (which are my backup) or prepaid cards, I always use my Nationwide credit card and I've never had a problem - touch wood.
snow conditions
I use Wise and regularly in France for fuel stops. All times apart from one the prelim hold was replaced by actual transaction within 5 mins of leaving the fuel station. The other time it was 4 days.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy